Nemovir

Vergez Blanchard European Stitching Clam

I bought one of these, since the stitch pony I am using doesn't handle large project easily.  I can not figure out how to position it other than putting it under one of my legs.  it keeps slipping off my leg when I used it. I'm  not able to find any video or pages on specifically how to adjust it to comfortably to use it.  any help or links?

so I am going to need to put something rough over my leg. maybe a towel. Use a stool and maybe shorten it as well. thanks.

Edited by Nemovir

Hi, in France the name of the "clam" is a "pince a coudre"..they exist in various styles and lengths..

We also have "vertical" stitching ponies like the models that you are more used to in the USA.

Here is a video on youtube of the vergez blanchard type "pince a coudre" ..or "European stitching clam" being used, this should give you an idea of how to hold it etc , I doubt that you would need to cut any off, some people use the shorter ones with the jaws between the knees or thighs ( like the vertical stitching ponies ) and with the "point" end on the floor ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ1l91APojg

Copy and paste the youtube link into your browser and hit "go".

there are many more videos out there if you know the French word or phrase that you need.

HTH :)

Btw..for the pronunciation of pince a coudre..pin in French pronounces as if it was written pan ..like frying pan..and a is a short sound like the a in pan
so "pince a coudre" is pronounced as if it was written..

panse a coodruh..

the panse part pronounces like Vance..as in Cyrus. :)

the a is short

the dre at the end of a word in French has the e part slightly emphasised...so with a dre you get druh..the druh like the druh in druthers..

Edited by mikesc

Btw.Anyone wishing to make their own( including "collapsible versions, which are highly portable ) ..if you are any good at basic carpentry it isn't difficult..

the images here may be of use .

https://www.esprit-cuir.fr/tutos-d-artisan-d-art/les-pinces-à-coudre/

I considered making one in that style- the thing I liked the most was the large throat that would hold a bag with ease- as opposed to the stitching pony style. What I didn't like is how you have to hold the tension with your legs- and that seemed to me to limit how you sat and where at.

I came across some plans on Etsy for a clam that's made of steam bent wood and the jaws are under tension- the clam holds the work and you hold the clam, no fighting to keep your legs holding the work.

I don't know if it's just me, but that looks terribly uncomfortable. It would be slightly better, if it had a non slip rubber backing so that it would stay put. Not keep sliding down and having to continually rearrange it. I have a stitching horse and stitching pony, both of which have that section to sit on, keeping it steady and at the right distance away, for your arm length.

Chas

Edited by ChasCS