Pip

Looking for advice on a leather sewing machine

Hi folks

I am in the uk. I am deliberating about buying a sewing machine, but I have very little idea of where to begin. I make tooled belts, sheaths, pouches, wallets and bags.  I was looking at a flat bed walking foot machine  (juki 1541) but someone advised me to go for a cylinder arm and build a flat bed to get maximum value. I don't have enough experience about threads or needles or machines and whilst I have watched a number of videos and read a whole load of posts I don't know what I need, or more I am getting very confused about what I need.  Other than its got to be walking foot. I have a brother which I was duped into buying, as the seller said it could be used (converted) as a walking foot but it was cheap and I have used it on thin projects for a year of so but it is inconsistant and frustrating.   I dont have the money to waste on another mistake.  Please help if you can!

Thanks

Pip

I'd recommend making a day trip to College Sewing  , just North of Manchester and check out their brand new showroom with demo machines. It's only an hour drive from Liverpool. Talk to them, tell them what you want to sew, bring some materials you want to work with and have them demo a few machines for you. Chances are they'll give you good advice and good service. You're bound to come away with very good idea as to what machine might fit your needs.

40 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I'd recommend making a day trip to College Sewing  , just North of Manchester and check out their brand new showroom with demo machines. It's only an hour drive from Liverpool. Talk to them, tell them what you want to sew, bring some materials you want to work with and have them demo a few machines for you. Chances are they'll give you good advice and good service. You're bound to come away with very good idea as to what machine might fit your needs.

Thanks, good advice.

I would add to that ..when you go..ask to speak to Dave ( their machine mechanic )..HTH :)

thanks folks