Misterbeesleather

Leather glues how do they work?

I'm new to leatherwork. I'm looking for a glue I can use to stick leather pieces together so I can stitch them perfectly without all the parts moving around. Are there any glues I can use that can only stick temporarily And won't destroy my leather when I try to make my wallets. 

Thank you so much! 

Rubber cement will work

Once you've sewn over the glued part the pieces are attached to each other so you're not gonna be able to remove the glue.

Contact adhesive is good, or double sided tape. There are thin double-sided tapes made for leather-work and regular cloth sewing.

I prefer a contact adhesive. Here where I am there are two which come in tubes; UHU and Bostick. I prefer the UHU. I run a thin line of it along where I want it to stick, putting it on both parts, wait a few moments for the glue to dry a bit then I stick the parts together. The tube glue is handy as its nozzle allows just a thin line to be placed, easier than using a spatula and a big tin of glue

Go to your local DIY or Hobby shop or even a $ store and you can get glues like my UHU brand.

7 hours ago, Misterbeesleather said:

I'm new to leatherwork. I'm looking for a glue I can use to stick leather pieces together so I can stitch them perfectly without all the parts moving around. Are there any glues I can use that can only stick temporarily And won't destroy my leather when I try to make my wallets. 

Thank you so much! 

I am wanting to understand why it is you want the glue to stick only temporarily? There are quite a few glues that can be used for different purposes but I have never wanted to use a temporary one in my wallet making section. Brian

Watch Ian Atkinson's and Niel Armitage's leather working videos on YouTube.  They use contact cement.  They're very careful to put it only where they want it like only a thin line outside their stitch lines.

I expect any glue you use will leave some sort of residue you won't be able to remove completely without damaging your leather.  Better to only put it where it won't show anyway.

2 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I expect any glue you use will leave some sort of residue you won't be able to remove completely without damaging your leather.  Better to only put it where it won't show anyway.

....and that is the beauty of using rubber cement. It will rub off any area where it is not supposed to show with just your finger, but as stated it's far from permanent.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

Thank you all for the help. I like Ian atkinson's videos they have helped me alot. I think I will go with the contact cement and just put it under my stitch lines carefully.