Ogoki

Help me ID this relabelled Juki

Hi all,

I am looking at what I think is a relabelled Juki.  Please see the attached pic.  Mason is a local operation, which presumably put its badges on the machine.  The seller has told me that the only numbers she can find are DDS500 9338.  I can't find any info on a "DDS" series, but does it look like a typical DDL?  If so, is there any way to tell whether it's a -552, -553, or -555?  And is there any difference between those three in terms of thread capabilities?  I notice that the manuals lists the -553 as taking needles up to #22 (vs. #18 for the others), so I assume it can handle heavier thread, but is this really the case?  I am looking for a machine to replace my little 95K43 - one that can handle heavy cotton thread, the heavier the better.  And what would one pay for a machine like this?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  I just noticed in the manual that only the -555 has reverse.  Does this look like a DDL-555 then?

Juki DDS 500.jpg

Edited by Ogoki

It is likely a Sunstar (made in Korea).  They are a decent machine. If you talk to Marc at Mason Sewing, I'm sure he can give you more info.

It is a bottom feed (with reverse), assuming it is in good condition and still has a clutch motor on it, I wouldn't pay over $300 for it.  If you are sewing leather or heavier materials, I would wait until you can get a walking foot machine.

Thanks.  I'm after a drop- or needle-feed machine, so something like this could do.  It's for jeans, but heavy cotton thread capability is key.  Light-medium machines generally won't do, in my experience, which is why I was hoping it was a med-heavy DDL...

If you are gonna go for a drop feed single needle, look for a Juki DDL 8700 machine. These are EXTREMELY common in the used market, I see them on Craig's List for $300 - $500 all the time.

The 8700's are built to be a little more heavy duty than the DDL 5500's. The 5500's (or older 555's, etc) are built more for higher speeds in general garment construction, while the 8700's are a little slower but cover a wider range a little better (like denim).

That said, most single needle machines can be dialed in for heavier fabrics with a specific throat plate, feed dogs, etc.

This vid has some good info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXnApXF_sQU

If you are going to be doing heavier denim, canvas, etc I would look for a basic compound feed walking foot machine. Something like a Singer 111w, Consew 206, older Jukis, etc. Most of the upholstery grade machines will sew through canvas and denim, etc with little to no modification.

Leif Labs has a great primer here:

http://leiflabs.blogspot.com/2016/06/how-to-choose-industrial-sewing-machine.html

Also - and this is ridiculous to even post on this forum - the Singer "heavy duty" home machines will sew jeans and denim all day. I have one I got used locally for $40 (a basic 4411 machine) and I would not hesitate to sew any kind of pants or jackets with it. For a little machine it has a surprising amount of umph.

Looking at Craig's List in the Vancouver area I see at least 2 decent Juki single needle machines (there is a 555 for $300) and down in Bellingham there is a sweet Juki LU-563 for $550 which would maybe be worth the drive if you want to hassle with the border.

Thanks for the responses.  Forget that I mentioned denim. ;)  I am after a drop- or needle-feed machine (not walking-foot) that will handle very heavy cotton thread (at least #6), and has a max. stitch length of at least 5mm.  I am wondering whether this "Mason" fits the bill... probably not...  A -555 or an -8700 likely won't do.  Maybe a -553 (can anybody confirm that it can handle heavier thread?) or an -8700H...

Thanks again.

The LU-563 would be worth the drive for sure!

I did notice that one, but like I said, I don't really want a walking-foot machine.  I have been told that it isn't the greatest choice when visibility around the needle is desired for decorative topstitching - i.e. being able to see the fabric edge, opposing stitch lines, etc...  I suppose you'd get used to it, like anything...

1 hour ago, Ogoki said:

I did notice that one, but like I said, I don't really want a walking-foot machine.  I have been told that it isn't the greatest choice when visibility around the needle is desired for decorative topstitching - i.e. being able to see the fabric edge, opposing stitch lines, etc...  I suppose you'd get used to it, like anything...

Not an issue IMHO. All in the feet. The Juki's take common Singer 111w feet so your choices are endless.

1 hour ago, R8R said:

Not an issue IMHO. All in the feet. The Juki's take common Singer 111w feet so your choices are endless.

OK, good to hear it.  I won't rule out walking-foot machines, although I don't know if I want the potential border hassles on this particular one... Thanks again.