I needed a new stitching pony and a box sewing jig and a 45 guide to cut my miters, so I used some wood I had hanging around my brothers shop. 

IMG_2722.JPG

I like the hinge version , nice job.

Thank You

Look great! It is always satisfying when you make functional tools for yourself that suit your needs perfectly :)

Nice woodwork!  Looks like you are using a turnbuckle to tighten the jaws on the pony.  Is that a bolt in the middle so you have something to hold onto to tighten the pony?

16 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Look great! It is always satisfying when you make functional tools for yourself that suit your needs perfectly :)

Agreed, having a shop I can use and the knowledge to make anything helps.

15 hours ago, garypl said:

Nice woodwork!  Looks like you are using a turnbuckle to tighten the jaws on the pony.  Is that a bolt in the middle so you have something to hold onto to tighten the pony?

You are correct it is a turnbuckle for adjusting the tension and that is a bolt through it with two nuts to turn the turnbuckle. I got tired of my thead getting caught so when this route this time. 

The knob allows me to disassemble the two pieces for transport and allows me to turn the clams anyway I'd like to.

Great looking tools.  Nice choice of woods too.  Is that some curl I see in that oak?

Rodney

1 hour ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Great looking tools.  Nice choice of woods too.  Is that some curl I see in that oak?

Rodney

That is curl you see, it is quarter sawn curly white oak that I had left over from a cabinet I made last year. 

I've gotta know. What is a box sewing jig? It's the only thing I cant find on you tube! PS Nice looking work.

Edited by Mjolnir
add

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

I've gotta know. What is a box sewing jig? It's the only thing I cant find on you tube! PS Nice looking work.

It's the piece on the right, it holds your two pieces at 90 degrees to be sewn together after being glued. The piece on the left is used to skive the edge of your leather at 45 degrees with either a knife or French Edger.

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

^^^ should show you exactly how it's used.

Cool tools only I don't make boxes but will keep this in mind if I ever need to!

5 hours ago, Sanch said:

Cool tools only I don't make boxes but will keep this in mind if I ever need to!

I’ve made one complete one with out it and attempted 2 more but getting the corners right with out it I couldn’t do. I’ve got two watch boxes to make and need to get them right.

great idea with the turnbuckle, I will steal it!

2 hours ago, retiredff said:

great idea with the turnbuckle, I will steal it!

It works well, what I'd change if I were to do it again. 

Make clam arms wider than the strap keepers. They are just barely wider now. 

Instead of the turn buckle I'd probably use a threaded bolt connector. 

Put the box stitching jig I use tonight, works like a champ. 

3E334BB8-AD4E-42FE-93B1-4F8D588B01E1.jpeg

Edited by Fire88