Jimdad

Splitting 6 inch wide on an osborne 84 (8 inch blade)?

Title says it. Looking to purchase a splitter, hoping the 8 inch blade will suffice for pieces 6 inches wide. Any insight appreciated. My alternate would be the cobra class 14, but thats overkill and the best part of $2k more in cost to boot. Thanks!

I can only tell you what the gentleman at Pilgrim Machinery told me.  You try pulling a 6" piece of leather and you will get such a hernia....... and I have one to prove his statement!!!  And I was only pulling a 3" X 32" piece thru.  I have since found and bought a Landis 30 splitter

I would prefer cobra(or similar) automatic machine.
You will save tons of leather, time and life, rather than doing a hand splitting.

worth the money, many will tell ya

Hand splitting is very difficult even with a super sharp blade. The most I have done is 4" on my 8" heritage. And that was some work.

Alright, i guess that answers it. Anyone aware of a more economical option in between an Osborne 84 and a cobra class 4? Would like at least and 8 inch blade and machines still in production and support. If i found a steal on an old landis or American it would still be a tough sell given the work needed to get it running smooth and the ones in decent shape are in the $1k range, more than I'd like for something i cant get parts or easy service on.

24 minutes ago, Jimdad said:

Alright, i guess that answers it. Anyone aware of a more economical option in between an Osborne 84 and a cobra class 4? Would like at least and 8 inch blade and machines still in production and support. If i found a steal on an old landis or American it would still be a tough sell given the work needed to get it running smooth and the ones in decent shape are in the $1k range, more than I'd like for something i cant get parts or easy service on.

if not mistaken, cobra (or other brand) do provide leasing or credit as an option. It's easier to pay by small payments. Go check them :)

from time to time in the forum under 'sale' thread there are some offerings on splitters.

Edited by nrk

Here is my current but evolving  mental algorithm when people call me about a splitter,

my first question is going to be - What kind of leather?

At least 4 times a week I get a call from somebody that wants to make wallets or clutch purses and split down upholstery leather or chrome tans to do it. Those leathers are too stretchy and soft and no fixed blade pull splitter will do it reliably. They need Something with body like vegtan, latigo, bridle, etc

What width do you want to end up with? -  Most people can split up to three inches reliably provided you aren't wanting to end up with a thin split of under 2 maybe 3 oz.. (You can sort of do that if you start with heavier leather and split upside down, but you have to level off the leather in one pass and then have enough left that the flesh side is meaty enough to take the pull. Not ideal). You can go from 16 to 14 on stirrup leathers, down to maybe 4 oz with decent widths. At some point the  wider you go the narrower you can split because pulling on that thinner grain side will deform it. I have people with a Chase splitter that can do 6'' widths but it takes really good blade maintenance and some body strength or wide jaw clamps/pliers for a grip when you go wider. Leveling is easier than splitting. I have leveled 11" pieces though a 12" Chase on a fresh edge.If you wanted to do anything up to stirrup leathers, then I start talking about the pros and cons of the different pull through splitters.

Crank splitters - There are limitations. These were built to level and split shoe soles. They like heavy material. Most will not feed leathers under 6-7 oz very well, especially into a slightly dull blade in any significant width. There are still good crank splitters around with all the parts and good blades. As far as parts and service, some parts are available, some aren't. Service - several of us have them and they are not all that hard to adjust once you understand the mechanics if all the parts are there and nothing broken. Currently I have never seen as many crank splitters on Ebay ever as there are right now. I have never seen asking and starting prices like now. Likewise I have never seen so many crank splitters on Ebay missing parts, vital parts broken, and the warning - "The handle turns but I know nothing about it. Look at the pictures carefully. sold as-is". I've got two Landis here spoken for that are priced for less than some of the broken Americans recently have traded hands for on Ebay. The other factor there is that you want to do 6 inch widths and these have 6" blades. They will do 5 to maybe 5-1/2 inches, but 6 inches is out.  soooo......

Bigger than 6" and needs to feed. Two options besides industrial band knife splitters. -  old school -  wide Randall splitters are still out there. Somebody here probably has a great grandfather who cranked stuff through them and they are still rolling. The guys that have these like them and the guys that buy them know they are going to pay some bucks to own one. An 18'' Randall with a good blade will likely be about what a 14" Cobra is priced at.  The tried and trues are not as much as 10 years ago, but the  market is still up there. You want something new - that leaves one in my mind. - In a big circle, here is what I tell people that get this far. You always have options - "You can buy thinner leather or call Steve at Cobra".  Not to sound like a smart ass, but that is where I'm at. I know several people with Cobras that like them.

You are a fountain of information, Bruce.