Have you ever wanted one of the leather presses for settinig your rivets and line 20 + 24 snaps ?
etc etc but cant afford the Tandy price for one in the hundress of dollars... then check this out...
This buy was made in Australia just so you Aussies know it....

I bought the following on ebay today 29th Nove 2017
Grommet Eyelet Hole Punch (green) Machine Hand Press 3 Dies With 1500pcs Silver Grommets

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grommet-Eyelet-Hole-Punch-Machine-Hand-Press-3-Dies-With-1500pcs-Silver-Grommets/382196467673?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=651040156767&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

image.png
$36.89 Australian and from australia

also  bought this to go with it
Spring Snap Fastener Button Die Mold for 831 15mm Dia Hand Press Machine Setter
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spring-Snap-Fastener-Button-Die-Mold-for-831-15mm-Dia-Hand-Press-Machine-Setter/201962680257?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

image.png
$12.73 Australian and from australia

also  bought this to go with it
Spring Snap Fastener Button Die Mold for 12.5mm Dia Hand Press Machine Setter
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spring-Snap-Fastener-Button-Die-Mold-for-831-15mm-Dia-Hand-Press-Machine-Setter/201962680257?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

image.png

$9.00 Australian and from australia

total is nearly $59 including the dies for line 24 and 20 snaps.....

Edited by Northmount
added photos to maintain integrity when link fails

Thanks for the links @Leatherbaron. I normally pay around $100au for one of the sets. Regards Brian

That's a great alternative to  Tandy's out of this world press and die prices for you Aussies .

I came up with a solution to their exorbitant prices for the setting dies  when I was gifted the press last Christmas. ( I made the mistake of drooling over the press in front of my Wife while going through the catalogue one evening).  She didn't understand all the various dies I would need to make it work and that I couldn't justify the expense.

I had been using the hand basic setters which are too small in dia.  to fit in the ram. I mulled over trying to fit a brass sleeve  with 3/8" outer dia. fitted to each setter but that seemed to be a slipshod solution.  Then it hit me... I purchased  a set of the more robust dia.  "Deluxe Snap All Setters"  and had a local machine shop mill them as follows..

1) Reduce to overall length of 3& 5/8" measuring up from bottom of each setter. (This was the proper length to allow the top of the setter to sit firmly against the top end of the female end of the hand presses ram and still have 1&1/4" protruding).  

2)Reduce the dia. of the setter to 3/8" for the top 1& 3/8 inches". (this was the dia. of the hole in the Tandy  ram and coincidentally it is the same in the 1 ton arbor press sold by Harbor Freight in the U.S. and Princess Auto here in Canada). This also results in a shoulder for the bottom of the ram to press against giving a second pressure/contact point between it and the setter.  

I then drilled out 5,  3/8" holes on the back of the hand presses base to act as tool holders for the finished setters an glued 3 super magnets to the side of it to hold the  anvil which came with the rivets setter kit.

the total cost  was less than $100. Cdn. for setter kit and tooling, saving me hundreds over the cost of what I would have to spend on Tandy's fancy tools.  

if  can find my camera I will try and post photo's.

Jim Ziegler

I bought a similar press , made in China, from a US distributor and the dies are horrible . The Line 20 and 24 caps would get stuck in the die and i would have to pry them out. The line #16 dies are usable but very finicky. I also got dies for eyelets along with a bunch of eyelets and they are pretty much useless...they get flatten because the dies are not machined properly. The press itself was badly  finished  and had  rough edges ...poor quality built but did the job somehow.

I was hoping to replace the expensive Tandy press along with it's dies  but it wasn't worth it

I assume there are many Chinese makers of these presses/dies , some better then others, but i will never buy another one unless i can get may hands on it and see how it performs

1 hour ago, LeatherLegion said:

I bought a similar press , made in China, from a US distributor and the dies are horrible . The Line 20 and 24 caps would get stuck in the die and i would have to pry them out. The line #16 dies are usable but very finicky. I also got dies for eyelets along with a bunch of eyelets and they are pretty much useless...they get flatten because the dies are not machined properly. The press itself was badly  finished  and had  rough edges ...poor quality built but did the job somehow.

I was hoping to replace the expensive Tandy press along with it's dies  but it wasn't worth it

I assume there are many Chinese makers of these presses/dies , some better then others, but i will never buy another one unless i can get may hands on it and see how it performs

Funny, I had the same problem with my super expensive Tandy line 20 dies. I have to use the base from my hand set of setters.

20 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Funny, I had the same problem with my super expensive Tandy line 20 dies. I have to use the base from my hand set of setters.

Tandy will take the faulty ones back...replacing them with a new set or full refund as far as i know

Didn't know that. I had them a long while before I tried them.

The one from Tandy is on sale this weekend for $99.  I purchased my first one last year when they were on sale for $74-79 (I should have gotten 2).  I picked another up today because I want more of an assembly line type set up and don't want to deal with having to keep taking out  dies.  Also because the dies are so expensive with Tandy, I found that the dies that Weaver sells are cheaper and they fit the one from Tandy.  I'm going to look into this one too as it's so I can set it up for a station specifically dedicated to one task (in the future if the costs make sense). 

Hello. I tried to include photo's to my reply a year ago but they wouldn't go through as I am an Idiot with computers.

Hopefully my photo's make it this time and my previous explanation will be more clear.

This works well with all the snaps rivets etc that Professional hand setters and a mallet are meant for. I am awaiting the arrival of the heavy setter for larger 3D stamps  to have that milled in the same manner. 

DSCF3878.JPG