This is a custom case for a leatherman tool that I did recently. It's 5 oz. Hermann Oak that I wet molded on a wooden last that I made.  It' has a hand tooled floral/engraving style design and initial. I used Fiebing's Medium Brown dye and Angelus Matte Finish. I also used a hidden magnetic closure to show off the tooling. It's lined with calfskin and hand stitched.

Case_01.png

Case_02.png

Edited by David Bruce

This is awesome. How did you tool that? What size tools? I would think you would need something fairly small. 

That is very beautifully done!  Your magnet closure interests me and also I'd like to know how the belt loop is attached.

Thanks,

I used a few different Barry King tools for this along with a modeling tool. The belt loop is attached with brass rivets that are flattened so as to not interfere with the tool.

Beautiful clean detailed work! 

Beautifully done.

This is really lovely work.  I have made a couple myself but I've not been able to get the bottom corners anywhere near as clean as yours. What's the best way to go about it?  T

Man, that wayyyyyy outclasses the Leatherman for sure. It is the $5,000 dollar rims on the $500 dollar car. That ain't your fault. Wonderfully clean and well executed.

Really nice job on the tooling and the molding!

Outstanding work, I second everyone else' s comments on how nice and clean it is.

I really like the color. Could you share your dyeing technique? My attempts at using Fiebing's medium brown come out much darker. I've tried airbrushing it diluted 1:4 with denatured alcohol (not enough penetration) and swabbing with diluted dye. I can get an even color that looks good, but its much darker than yours.

That is wicked tiny tooling!  awesome.

YinTx

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that folks like my work. The customer requested a  "western style" design so I thought that this would be a good time to try out this type of look that I'd been wanting to do for a while. I think they were surprised at how intricate it was but, that's what happens when you take pride in your work right? I only use Hermann Oak leather for tooling so that may be why the color comes out as it does and why it molds well. I haven't tried other veg tan leather to know either way.

For molding, I made a simple last out of pine and used a modeling tool to smooth out the edges prior to clamping. I wet the leather completely before molding. I didn't even use an upper frame like some do.

For the dye, I used an airbrush set at 30 psi and lightly sprayed the dye until I got the tone that I was after. I sealed it with one coat of RTC, applied fiebings mahogany antique paste and finished with Angelus Matte.

Edited by David Bruce
Incomplete info

Very nice, clean work!

really good looking piece of work.

Beauty!