d2jlking

First Swivel Knife

Folks, I need some advice.  I am brand new to this craft, I have now done some very basic projects.  I am dyeing, stamping, and a few other basic things.  I want to get a swivel knife and start learning to use it, but I want to start with the right tool.  I am not concerned with the price of the tool, just that it is the correct blade size and angle, and that the knife is from a high quality maker, one that you folks would consider a high quality instrument.  Please advise.

Any advice is certainly still welcome, but using the search feature shows me lots of opinions.  Thanks 

I'm dont carve a lot.But what I've seen to notice with all tools is what works for one won't work for another person. Most people like Barry King or Leather Wranglers. I have a Craftool Pro and a Keosho Elle. (Spelling?) I like both for different things. One has adjustable height one doesn't. I have 6 different kinds of blades also. There is no one size fits all. IMHO

1 minute ago, Mattsbagger said:

I'm dont carve a lot.But what I've seen to notice with all tools is what works for one won't work for another person. Most people like Barry King or Leather Wranglers. I have a Craftool Pro and a Keosho Elle. (Spelling?) I like both for different things. One has adjustable height one doesn't. I have 6 different kinds of blades also. There is no one size fits all. IMHO

Good advice, Mattsbagger, thanks!

I have swivel knives made by Robert Beard,  Barry King, and Leather Wranglers (Albuquerque, NM). They are all high quality and perfect in every way for me.  Oh, and fairly expensive, but worth it every penny for me. With regard to blades, it depends on what you are doing....for 99.9% of my work I prefer a 3/8" straight blade.  I have a couple of hair blades and a couple of bead blades that I keep in cheaper swivel knives.  Sooner or later you will want a  really good (read more expensive) knife, so you  might as well bite the bullet and get it first.  My earlier , cheaper knives are the ones I use for the hair blades and bead blades.  Good Luck

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

You won't have just one, I started with a cheap adjustable one, bought a nicer one from Springfield leather and I'm sure I'll collect a few more of them.  

I'd go mid range if you can't actually put your hands on one, length and barrel size can make a big difference in comfort.