GirlFromScandinavia

Strange marvolous Spanish dye! Do you know what it is?!

I bought this dye whilst backpacing in Spain since I couldn’t carry liquids. Some local leather worker tipped me off. All I understood was that it’s soluble in alcohol so I tried it out and BOY WAS I AMAZED!!! The colours are vibrant and sink in to the leather just like the dyes I’ve always used, Narv and Angelus. The parcel that each colour  comes in is small about cm and the pigment is in small granuals or powder depending on the colour. 

I bought it from Madrid, from an art shop and for the likes of me, can’t remember the name or where!! My sis, who speaks Spanish has tried to locate it for me, can’t find any art supplier that carries it. The solvent I’ve used is 60 proof vodka! As you can see, the work next to the parcel has great colour that mixes well together! Also I don’t have to inhale the acetone. Now, my problem is that I don’t know how to order more, because the phone doesn’t answer and there is no brand name!!

All suggestion are welcome!

18A483F3-706A-4238-8963-653716CA79F6.jpeg

Just tried phoning to spain and they answered! I got my self  nearly understood, but the y said they’d call me back as soon as they get someone who speaks English!:lol:

I know these dyes :) I've used them too, they're great! 

If you can't get them from that store in Madrid, I know 2 or 3 online stores in Spain that sell them ;) 

I can send you the links :)

Omg Sam! I’m so surprised that someone knew! Yes you can send me the link and the lady said in spanish that her Son will try to call me! The colours must be a well kept secret.... do you know what they are really used for? Oh, and Madrid is really too Far to go to!:)

Edited by GirlFromScandinavia

They have two types of anilines dyes, to be mixed with alcohol, or with water ("agua" in spanish) :) They can be used to dye any porous material like wood, cork, thick paper, leather of course ;) And yes, their colours are great, although many places don't have all the colours available for sale.

Here are the links: 

https://mitiendadearte.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=anilina+

https://www.manosmaravillosas.com/index.php/Anilinas_791/Anilina-en-polvo-al-Alcohol-_9030

http://www.drogueriaboter.es/colorante-de-anilina-al-agua-tagAgrupANILINAA

If you need help with anything, let me know ;)

Sandra 

Aniline dyes are used for lots of things but 'Soluble in Alcohol' doesn't mean Vodka. You will have better results if you mix the dye with isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol. The Vodka contains other things, mainly water, that can affect the finish or the quality of the dye. Drink the rest of the Vodka and use a commercial alcohol with the dyes. Maybe finish the dye job before you drink the vodka though :lol:

Also, don't confuse 60% with 60 proof. 60% is 120 proof. So, a seriously high alcohol content, but not close to isopropyl or denatured alcohol. But it seemed to work for you, that is some great color on that piece!

Jeff

Thanks Archer and Alpha. We have These stupid restrictions in Finland that its real hard to buy denaturated alcohol without a permit. I still have to look in to it before I drink the bottle!

3 hours ago, GirlFromScandinavia said:

Thanks Archer and Alpha. We have These stupid restrictions in Finland that its real hard to buy denaturated alcohol without a permit. I still have to look in to it before I drink the bottle!

There are other posts here about using liquor for diluting dyes.  Denatured alcohol adds chemicals to to make it (ethanol, or similar) taste awful so people won't drink it.  Thus the governments maintain control of liquors and the taxes.  There are a number of posts explaining the difference between alcohols somewhere here too if you want to search them out.

Tom

If you want to raise the alcohol ( proof or in some cases % ) content of any liquid that contains alcohol the easy way..pour it into a plastic tub ( the kind that ice-cream comes in will work fine ) leave the top off, and put it in the freezer, the water content will freeze out as ice which will float on the top, what is underneath the ice is now a higher concentration of alcohol..so..remove the ice..use the remaining liquid..you may want to do this a couple or more times to really get to a high level of alcohol like 90%..in reality you probably won't get much over 65 or 70% by volume..but it may be enough to work as an alcohol solvant.
Distilling ( without a licence ) is illegal most everywhere ( for the reasons that Tom gave )..and requires a bunch of equipment that is shall we say, somewhat difficult to hide..whereas the "ice method", is not illegal without a licence in many countries, mainly because it takes longer and you can't do as much at once.
But..it might be illegal where whoever is reading this is based..
So I'm not encouraging anyone to break any laws that might apply to them..check with your local authorities to see if your local laws apply.

Edited by mikesc

Hey, thanks you all! I’ve encouraged my husband to finally start welding a good moonshine machine in to the living room so I could get my alcohol without a hastle....:yeah:.....Only kidding!! Seriously, I’m still dipping into the same booze bottle at the moment but will surely look in to the freezer method and the denaturated  bit..ugh, all this running around before Xmas! But it’s Christmas party time on Saturday so I’ve got to figure out some new solution for Monday!

Below, my newest strap, the customer wanted a mermaid and a bison so this is what I came up with!

Happy happy to all!

A2B4D1DD-86C1-49AB-806E-F6A187FAE097.jpeg

Wow! Those colors are really vibrant. While we can debate what the "best" solvent is- what you are using clearly works.

I don't get what a mermaid has to do with a bison- but your customer does, and you did a great job on it. I really like it and I get the feeling that the bison is looking at me like I owe him money.

10 hours ago, MichaelT said:

Wow! Those colors are really vibrant. While we can debate what the "best" solvent is- what you are using clearly works.

I don't get what a mermaid has to do with a bison- but your customer does, and you did a great job on it. I really like it and I get the feeling that the bison is looking at me like I owe him money.

Well, I think the customer sees himself as a bison, and it’s got my stare at the moment! Hah!

thanks! I still haven’t downed the bottle!

Aniline dyed leather is my favourite. You can clear a white background stain that you just cant make with regular dyes :) I attach some of my work

rsz_screenshot_20180408-200322.jpg

rsz_screenshot_20180408-200305.jpg

rsz_screenshot_20180408-200341.jpg

I know this is an older post, but I just had to say... WOW, Leonguaranipy, those are stunning pieces! Yours are gorgeous too, GirlFromScandinavia!