howlback

Help! Veg Tan Flesh Side Plagued With Fuzz

Recently bought an 8/9 oz double shoulder and there is a significant amount of fuzz on the back. What is the best way to get rid of it? Put through a splitter and make it a bit thinner?

IMG_0126.JPG

I’m not very experienced with leather... but I had the same problem with leather I bought from Tandy in the UK.

i split it too and it cleaned it only a bit, I think the problem is with the quality of leather and not the finish they applied?

i ended up putting tan kote on the back and smoothing it with my bone folder. Some people use a beveledpiece of plate glass.

Ger.

I use 220 grit sandpaper, and work it going one direction. and once it is pretty uniform, wet it like you are about to tool it. take the grass burnisher and in the same direction work it down. you should have a prettier flesh side to work with. tan coat will seal it, so I would use it as the final step so its doesn't get on the grain side a block what ever sealer you use for it.  

You can split it. The more you can split off the better.

Or, sand it. I then use tokonole with a glass slicker. It works wonders on the flesh side and edges.

I use a safety beveler from Tandy (Item #3001-00) to skive the flesh side down to "meat". Then I wet the flesh side and rub it with the grain in one direction with beveled glass and let it dry. if you let it dry, then even when you case the leather to prepare for carving, the flesh side will continue to behave.  Hope that helps

-Sam