Treed

High Desert Winter Day

Tooling done...... figure out finish and a frame

20171202_124142 small.jpg

52 minutes ago, Treed said:

Tooling done...... figure out finish and a frame

20171202_124142 small.jpg

Very nice! Would love to see the back side and can you give some sort of size reference say place a dime next to one of the figures? 

Wow!

That is an absolutely carving! Real nice work!

Amazing relief. 

I think the size can be determined by the maker's mark, assuming it's a common size.

Excellent and cant wait to see the rest of its evolution.

Fantastic!

Some of the best horses I've seen, very well done. 

Absolutely gorgeous!

Is there repoussé work involved? Which thickness is the leather?

On 12/3/2017 at 8:56 AM, Sanch said:

Very nice! Would love to see the back side and can you give some sort of size reference say place a dime next to one of the figures? 

size is about 12x15

7 hours ago, LederRudi said:

Absolutely gorgeous!

Is there repoussé work involved? Which thickness is the leather?

leather was a 8-9 oz  and it was embossed from the rear and filled with leather paste 

That looks great!  The embossing works really well on the horses!

Yeah man! That is a really nice piece of work right there. You can almost see the weariness in the cowboy.

On ‎07‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Treed said:

size is about 12x15

leather was a 8-9 oz  and it was embossed from the rear and filled with leather paste 

Thanks for the info! Your work prompts me to have another stab at figure carving!

Absolute, beautiful work! 

You mention using "leather paste" to fill-in the backside. Of what does the leather paste consist?

Thanks,

Lthrz

8 hours ago, Lthrz said:

Absolute, beautiful work! 

You mention using "leather paste" to fill-in the backside. Of what does the leather paste consist?

Thanks,

Lthrz

The leather paste is made up of the fine dust made from sanding leather...... I just take scrape leather to the sanding drum and sand it down as far as I can and collect the dust from the floor.... Shoe repair shop are sanding leather soles all the time and just throw away the dust .... You then put the dust into a container and add rubber cement.... the rubber cement should be the type with a milky color or look to it, don't use the clear.... Add rubber cement to the dust and mix until you have a mixture that is the consistency of  peanut butter ...... put rubber cement on your leather project and dry then back fill the embossing.....

That is spectacular!!! Embossed figure carving really brings the piece to life. 

If you do this again, make it easy on yourself and only make two loops on the vertical run on the double diamond. I have thrown a lot of these useful hitches and never with more than two loops, usually only one. Not actually knowing how it is most often thrown, you did an absolutely amazing job figuring out how to picture the hitch and the top pack. Kudos for everything.

22 hours ago, oltoot said:

If you do this again, make it easy on yourself and only make two loops on the vertical run on the double diamond. I have thrown a lot of these useful hitches and never with more than two loops, usually only one. Not actually knowing how it is most often thrown, you did an absolutely amazing job figuring out how to picture the hitch and the top pack. Kudos for everything.

I have spent a life time throwing double diamonds....... this was done for artistic appeal to give dimension to the rope for one and two to see if I could do a rope that small with twists..... The original artist had it drawn that way