Mjolnir

Clam, on the half shell.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, Kulafarmer said:

Sweet, 

just curious how much movement you get in the wood after it cools down from being steamed? Am thinking about trying that out with some mango wood, i made myself a pony a couple years ago out of mango and like your clam better than the clamp i made,,, just curious if i need to way over bend to get final curves or if it sits pretty good.

sorry Kulafarmer I replied to your post and it's not here. Anyway. So apparently Mango is a hardwood so I would go for it. After you bend it let it cool to room temp and it should be set. I would go ahead and let it dry mostly or all the way but the cooling is what is important. Also if you have to steam a bit more for a fix. It will straighten out and it also dry's the wood which can cause tiny splits along the grain. Good Luck, I want to see pics!

PS I took a thought break from my Clam 2 project, but I started back today and vacation starts tomorrow afternoon. Clam 3 is already planned.

Just to give an idea or were I'm going with this, I'm adding a bent piece to both sides to accentuate the mouth of the clam. I may be crazy but I can make it work... I hope. Definitely going towards the sculptured look. I spent the whole week looking at it everyday and telling myself to 'keep it simple stupid' before reminding myself I could have scraped that one and built another by now! Time to go for it!

20171221_184647_resized_1.jpg

"Clam 3 is already planned"...If I had a nickel for every time I've had occasion to say that!

I'm halfway done. I'm discarding ideas left and right. keeping it simple lol. I decided this should still be proof of concept. Should be finished by Christmas :)

20171223_174032_resized_1.jpg

1 minute ago, Mjolnir said:

I'm halfway done. I'm discarding ideas left and right. keeping it simple lol. I decided this should still be proof of concept. Should be finished by Christmas :)

It is looking fabulous.

12 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

It is looking fabulous.

Thanks! its becoming the klingon batliff of clams. I do like adding cork to stick your stitching needles into.

Q

26 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

I don’t know how I missed this thread?? That’s looking fantastic! Is this the one you were going to put on a swivel? 

9 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Q

I don’t know how I missed this thread?? That’s looking fantastic! Is this the one you were going to put on a swivel? 

I was, will get fancy with the swivel, the adjustable length. For now a half clam allows me to play with ideas. For $20 us on Amazon I got this swivel clamp that works fine. You can add this to a bench or a horse easily.

20171223_182843_resized_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

I was, will get fancy with the swivel, the adjustable length. For now a half clam allows me to play with ideas. For $20 us on Amazon I got this swivel clamp that works fine. You can add this to a bench or a horse easily.

20171223_182843_resized_1.jpg

what about adding it to a seat/horse? That would be something!!!

As I see it. It can be added to one. I personally don't get it. I'd rather attach it to my couch! Or for $2000 I'll make a recliner clam! As I approach 50 I don't want to sit on a little bench. Adjusting for height and comfort is important. So I have an idea:) for an adjustable leg from 3 to 6 feet.

Funny,... twice I have tried to trade this clam. Fair trade. The moral fortitude of the people here is commendable. They placed too much value on my work. I am in need of a second opinion before I stick these things up for sale. Just sayin'.

Edited by Mjolnir
typo

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

Funny,... twice I have tried to trade this clam. Fair trade. The moral fortitude of the people here is commendable. They placed too much value on my work. I am in need of a second opinion before I stick these things up for sale. Just sayin'.

What do you want in trade for it?

23 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

What do you want in trade for it?

A fair trade. I have a newbie shop. So I'll start by making these for swaps on this site. IM your offer. I might have a first swap so I guess we will find out. I wont say what I get for it.

I'll swap back if it's not felt fair.

I'm after a working opinion so a post about it is part of the deal.

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

you must be trading with someone on the bondage forum then, good luck with that man

3 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

you must be trading with someone on the bondage forum then, good luck with that man

stitching clam may be a little big for nipple use. To each his own.

'The Klingon Klam'. minus several more layers of tongue oil.

This is were I need help. I can hinge it on the bottom or the side. a leather strap to pull it together. What I want is a hinged opening and a wooden ball that slides up to lock it ( A slit from the bottom of the arc so you raise the knob to lock it). the other option is a hinged wooden bar in the middle that you pull down to open it. Yeah I'm reaching. hope that made sense. suggestions please!?

Klingon.jpg

Edited by Mjolnir
add

Edit: i am not a smart man

Edited by shock

27 minutes ago, shock said:

Edit: i am not a smart man

@shock but you can be a smarter man if you hang out with guys like this, the first time I saw his clam project, I was blown away, like "holy crap, how did he do that!"

Did you notice that I changed my leather specialty? lol

Edited by Jake907

19 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

suggestions please!

These look really good.  Proof is in the puddin, as they say though.  When you start using it in earnest, you'll decide on design changes.  I know it's not quite finished, but one thing I see that could become an issue is the points on your decorative wood catching your thread as you stitch.  You have no idea how annoying getting my thread looped around something when I am in my stitching kata zone is. Not to mention it jacks up the tension, and you have to pull out a few stitches back to get everything back to rights again.

Same might be said for the clam closing mechanism.  Lot of folks frustrated with the inexpensive versions with a bolt and a wing nut, hanging up the thread as they stitch along.

For me, the strap on the inside of clams always limits the size of item you can stitch.  Same with the size and shape of the clam.  So really depends on what you are making, as to what kind/shape/style of clam will be most useful for you.  Me, I need a tiny attachment now so I can do watch straps.  No way I can do them on my saddler's horse!

Just food for thought as you go through with your progressive engineering.  Your clams are really nice, and I think you might find an audience here that would be interested in purchasing if you set your price right and your quality is right along with the design.

YinTx

27 minutes ago, YinTx said:

These look really good.  Proof is in the puddin, as they say though.  When you start using it in earnest, you'll decide on design changes.  I know it's not quite finished, but one thing I see that could become an issue is the points on your decorative wood catching your thread as you stitch.  You have no idea how annoying getting my thread looped around something when I am in my stitching kata zone is. Not to mention it jacks up the tension, and you have to pull out a few stitches back to get everything back to rights again.

Same might be said for the clam closing mechanism.  Lot of folks frustrated with the inexpensive versions with a bolt and a wing nut, hanging up the thread as they stitch along.

For me, the strap on the inside of clams always limits the size of item you can stitch.  Same with the size and shape of the clam.  So really depends on what you are making, as to what kind/shape/style of clam will be most useful for you.  Me, I need a tiny attachment now so I can do watch straps.  No way I can do them on my saddler's horse!

Just food for thought as you go through with your progressive engineering.  Your clams are really nice, and I think you might find an audience here that would be interested in purchasing if you set your price right and your quality is right along with the design.

YinTx

Thank you for that. My jaw dropped and kept open as I read. Very valid observations, and solid advice.

What kind of tiny attachment for a watch strap do you mean. Can you show an idea?

Edited by Mjolnir

3 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

What kind of tiny attachment for a watch strap do you mean. Can you show an idea?

Someone on here had an example they were using just last month or so, and showed an up close photo of it, but for the life of me I can't remember who or where or what topic it was under.  If I come across it, I'll cross post it to here so you can see.

YinTx

thanks. taking your advice on avoiding thread snags. just a slight mod. I'll keep up making never seen before stuff. But with a KISS (keep it simple stupid!) Who needs bells and whistles. I love the shape of this thing and I'm pretty sure they didn't originally have hinges, nor holes and leather straps going through the middle.

So you need an attachment for watchstraps but don't have one? Describe what would work. mini clam... what? I've never sewn one.

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

5 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Thank you for that. My jaw dropped and kept open as I read. Very valid observations, and solid advice.

mini me clam :) needs work but... Maybe spoons would be better. I'm only half kidding.

add tongue depressors.

mini me.jpg

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

YinTx had a lot of good points there. Something catching my thread while stitching is about the most annoying thing on the planet. Or the object you're stitching moves or falls out of the clam because it's not tight enough.

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

mini me clam :) needs work but... Maybe spoons would be better. I'm only half kidding.

add tongue depressors.

mini me.jpg

And now a story on redneck ingenuity....

I like it, simple, repurposed, easily repeatable, earth friendly...cute? lol.

Can I steal your idea?