6FF3B521-BC3F-46EE-B530-F0E265A228EA.thumb.jpeg.0f93fe3e820767f9e1b6be16628a1820.jpegOk question. How do other leather crafters do it.

i have been doing it for a long time. Black belts I use exclusively Herman oak 10-11oz leather. But anyways I stamp my letters then paint them. 2 coats angelus with 2-3 coats of angelus sealer . Then I use thr eco flo  stain either the leteher dye or the water stain either or. I had a bad batch several bad batches of Fiebings dyes in black and USMC dye. Not good. I apply the stain and when I go over the letters I quickly wipe off dye on painted letters. Usually it comes off with good results but this gold letter I am just having problems and red. I need to go over  and redo all the lettering . 

Question does anyone stain the whole belts first then use white on letters and then a couple coats of gold or other colors? Any help or tips should be so appreciated. Sorry the red is on another leather. 6E5CAE5B-20BA-4C24-AEB3-8C3667D9E427.thumb.jpeg.710dea0f72b7b7883eddfeb5885c75fe.jpeg

Edited by Daiello40

When I do fire fighter radio straps I dye, seal, paint and reseal. 

U paint over ther sealer then seal again

Could you tape the belt with painters tape first??

Would the stamps then cut the tape so you could leave just the letters covered when you stain?

I have never done  any stamping. anyone think it would work?

Sled

This is great info on the painting I hope to try soon. I just completed my first strap and was wondering what is best to seal it with. I used 10oz veg tanned leather, stamped, and applied Eco flow saddle tan antique gel instead of dye. I have super sheen and resolene available but have never used either. Are these ok or is there something better.

Edited by TheAlbinoYeti

6 hours ago, TheAlbinoYeti said:

I’d really love to know how they paint the white lines around the letters so perfectly. What’s the trick?

I use small plastic bottles with needle tips.  I find it easier to control the rigid needle tips than using a paintbrush.  I bought bottles and tips on Amazon, but they are no longer available.  You need the very fine tips to avoid putting too much paint out.  Ebay has some for sale, but they are not the same type I bought on Amazon, so not sure how fine the needle tips will be.  The tips I use are appear to be not much bigger than a hypodermic needle - they are very small.  They also work well for painting backgrounds.  Here is an example of a project in which I used the bottles to paint the stamp design.

Gary

5a25c3600403b_28GAshellholder.jpg.e9f3fc16446b71bcf2860746cab07715.jpg

Here are a couple of additional examples

FEA4105D-19E2-4E6C-A573-0D1602266EAE.jpeg.4d5c6f2c07beeb0f5da31fc878e7a1ca.jpeg

75E18F87-3A71-4B10-9AA7-7D7D46401F83.jpeg.38fc2bdf3c7096f50eb032756f7fffa0.jpeg

Great tip! I've struggled with painting letters, also.

I've only used CovaColor in yellow, not a good experience, had serious issues with brush marks. Looking for some Angelus paints now.

Edited by alpha2

I agree - seems I would always move slightly, causing the brush bristles to flip outside the area I was painting!  The rigid needles are much easier to control.  The company that was selling on Amazon was named D-Worthy.  Item was called “Multi Purpose Precision Applicator Squeeze Bottles + 16 needle tips + 6 caps.  Cost was $12.59

Gary

Just a note - if you use small bottles and needle tips, thin your paint and wrap Teflon plumber’s tape around the threads when you screw on the cap.  The small needle tip diameter may cause paint to leak out the cap/bottle junction unless you seal it up with the tape.

Th

42 minutes ago, Instinctive said:

Check out this guy work https://beltwayleatherworks.com

Been chatting with him. He uses Henna. Search for Henna Paint Tip on ebay. It's 3 or 4 dollars for a whole set.

He does a nice job using two tone paints!  Looked at the henna paint sets on eBay and they look similar to the set I bought on Amazon, but are more expensive.  The ones I saw were $11-16 per set.

I thought these painted letters on leather looked quite attractive.

It would take a steady hand. 

Chas

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

they are from where ? whose work ? yours ?

Edited by mikesc

53 minutes ago, mikesc said:

they are from where ? whose work ? yours ?

Just samples that I had saved for my own future reference. Only sharing. See Pinterest. ;-)

Why, do you like them? I believe they were painted with a syringe type stylus. Very fine.

Chas

Pinterest is ..from the point of view of those of us who create stuff, a repository of stolen images..our copyright stuff, taken and reposted, without our permission, in order to make the poster look good..it isn't sharing when what is being posted does not belong to you, or you do not have the written permission of the creator to "share" it..

They are not mine..but pinterest..and those who repost what they "find" (what you call "share". but as I pointed out above ..you can only share what is yours , not what belongs to someone else ) have taken billions of images of other peoples works ( and some of mine before I blocked them )..and the creators get nothing..no credit, no traffic to their sites..just their images reposted in order to make the reposter look good with their "sharing"..

You wouldn't "share" a car that didn't belong to you without the owner's permission, ..would you..?

It takes time, money and skill to make images or objects , craft item, leatherwork etc..some of us make our living from making these things if the images of them get "shared" without anyone knowing where the creators websites are..the original creators will not be able to survive to continue making them..only share with the original creators written permission, otherwise it is unethical, in and many countries , including the USA ( if the image had been registered, it can potentially result in huge fines to the "sharers", and if it has not been registered it is still "breach of copyright ") it is illegal..pinterest has billions of images that are being "shared" illegally..

Oh..and BTW..I can already do that kind of paint work..with a brush..been doing it for many decades..and ..No..I don't post examples of my work..that way it doesn't get "shared"..

Why haven't pinterest ( and similar sites ) been sued out of existence ? ..simple..they have Google backing them..and they have more money for expensive lawyers than anyone else..so they "skate" due to that to sue them would bankrupt anyone while it went through courts in the USA..but you notice that pinterest never allow anyone to post images ( that stay up there ) that are owned by the Getty image bank etc ..because Pinterest have algorithms that cross check against those owned by the image banks..and they get automatically deleted..so as to not antagonise the image banks, who also have big legal companies on retainer..

Oh..and "fair use" does not apply..fair use is for educational establishments, reviewers etc ..and can only use at most 10% of a text ..does pinterest ( or google images for that matter ) show just 10% of an image..nope..they do not..But when Google began ( before they got their lawyers ) they were run out of an University, so they were allowed "fair use"..now they are not "fair use"..they are just too big and powerful for anyone to take them on over copyright abuse..as are pinterest..who have Google money ( and other VC money ) backing them..

Lastly..posting images ( and texts or book reviews etc ) that you do not own the copyright to, or have permission in writing from the creators to post..leaves leatherworker.net and Johanna open to being served with DMCA notices..and potentially being sued for damages by the original image owners or text owners..putting her ( or anyone ) in that position..is not "cool" ..

Edited by mikesc

It was nothing really, only a word I have an affinity for. That's it.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, that you feel slighted somehow? Not my concern either. 

Chas

Referring to posting copyright images and texts ( all images and texts whether they say so or not are copyright to their creators ) that are not yours ..and calling it sharing..whatever you want to call it..it is not ethical..and is illegal..see my post above..

"Slighted" , ..No ..But I don't like seeing creators getting their work ( images or texts, "before paint and after paint" images of painted leather signs, or instructions , in Russian , on how to do two colour stitching for example ) ripped off by someone posting merely in an attempt to make themselves look good and knowledgeable..

Normally, when people post "how to "techniques or images here, they are their own images or techniques, or they link to the original creators website..that is the ethical and legal way to do it..Building a "rep" on copying and pasting other people's work found on pinterest or wherever..is not..no matter what you call it..

People have been doing that kind of thing to my images and designs for over 4 decades now..and I personally know people who have gone out of business because pinterest have their images and their "how to images" and now no one buys "images" or "how to images" from them anymore.

oh..and to clear something that a lot of people believe up..if something is posted on the internet..it is not "public domain" ..unless it specifically says so in writing..posting an image from the New York Times ( that is posted on the internet ) and claiming it is OK because it was posted on the internet and is "public domain"..will get you in court..civil and criminal..breach of copyright / unauthorized use of copyright material, images or texts is both a civil and a federal offence..and can lead to huge damages being awarded in court against the person doing the "breaching"..and huge fines being imposed in court too.

Edited by mikesc