ivan7342

How to make a coaster with a design on it

Hello guys, my name is Ivan, i`m new to the site and to work with leather, so i guess at the beginning i will ask a lot of questions...

So far i been doing a few simple coasters and bookmarks for me and friends.

Now i want to take it one step further and i would like to start adding designs to them, for example, something like this:

4LEaRgP.jpg

Which options do i have? i think one option would be do a stamp with a 3D printer, but i don`t think it would be practical to do a new stamp for each thing i want to do or change

Any ideas or links to tutorials to see where to start from will be welcomed

Thanks.

Cheers!

I think a design like that is going to require a laser.  Search youtube for info on laser on leather. 

A laser would work well. However, if you find a wood burning tool or soldering iron with a fine tip, you could burn that into the leather with it. It's called pyrography, usually done on wood but I've seen stunning examples on leather too.

This design is rather large for a coaster.  Shrinking it would make some of the detail very fine, which of course would increase the level of difficulty substantially.  I would suggest a less complicated design for a coaster.  You might look on the web for line drawings, coloring books, and such.

Tom

Thanks for the answers guys!

The laser way looks really good, but as far as i can see, the machines are pretty expensive, starting from a couple thousands euros and up from there, out of my budget at this moment, but i will keep it in mind for the future.

I already have the tool for pyrography, but i haven`t used it yet, so i will start looking some tutorials on it, and yeah, i will start with a los less complicated designs, maybe i could do just the tree and the starts.

I will post some pictures of my results laters.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

32 minutes ago, coxdenis32 said:

How to find patterns on leather products?

The answer is right in front of you....>>> :coffeecomp:  :)

HS

4 hours ago, coxdenis32 said:

Thanks, but I'm looking for cheaper options. I recently found a cool custom design with MasterBundles. You can get a big discount if you have time to place your order. I have punished several packs for colorless garments and colored versions of winter patterns.

If you have a community workshop like a hackerspace around, that might work