hassjb

Cowboy 4500

Going to get myself a Cowboy 3500 or 4500 for Christmas. I will be doing mostly knife sheaths and maybe some holsters at first and was wondering if anyone had thoughts or preferences on the best arm length for this kind of work.

Unless you are stuck on one thing, buy as much arm length as you can afford . I got a C 4-25 and have felt crowded  more than a few times with western rigs and some odd things,,,,,,IMHO  

db

The first time you get a Western gun belt job, with lots of bullet loops sewn on, you'll appreciate the longer arm on the CB4500. Ditto if you get a job sewing fishtails onto a strap or gun belt.

Buy the 4500 - better to have the extra length and not always need it than find yourself running out of room to turn a large piece while sewing!

I own a few leather stitchers, including the Cowboy 4500, and I can tell you without hesitation, get the bigger machine. Once you get a leather sewing machine, you quickly start thinking about bigger and better projects that far exceed your ambitions when you were dreading hand stitching things. I have ran out of arm room on a leather sewing machine, and it sucks big time. Especially when you ruin a piece because you were too busy trying to scrunch it and feed it into the needle.