mojave

Big stitching holes

The leather kit holes are soooo big.  What size thread would you use so that the holes don't show after stitching?   I have aways used an awl with 207 or 277 thread, and they look  thin in these holes.  I only hand stitch, it helps me to relax.   This is my first and last kit I will do.  A friend bought the wallet kit and wants me do the carving/tooling, doesn't want it laced.  Any ideas would help.  I'm going to try some para-cord with scrap leather to see how it would look.  Thank, Howard

Have a wonderful holidays

Those holes were intended for lacing, not stitching. By the time you found a thread that was appropriate for those holes, the thread would be so thick it would look very strange. With a kit, you are locked into what was originally intended. Do you have any other leather in that thickness? Cut out your own rectangle and do it your way.

alpha2,  yes I have other leather.  After posting this thread last night, I decided to make a new wallet outed.  I agree with you, thats the only way to make a nice wallet.  The kit had thin waxed thread.  

Thanks for your input.

Howard