jimmy eng

Need advise on sewing with my Pfaff 335 17-B H2L

I'm really confused with needle and thread sizing for this machine (the whole system really) so if anyone could explain or point me in the right direction regarding a few questions I have that would be greatly appreciated. I've found a great post on here from 2015 which is awesome and I've found an array of needles at https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/freight-charges-explained/

1/ Can I use round point needles for this machine? The needle type is 134-35 LR. Does 135 mean it's a thicker needle?

2/ The thread type is synthetic 40/3 according to the manual of a newer model but I've only seen the thread types in Australia as M20/M25/M8 with no other details. I bought a cotton-poly M20 but it's much too thick for the one needle that came with the machine (Organ 20 on the shank) but I don't know what the equivalent of 40/3 is (which I understand is the twist and cord number) and can I use cotton-poly?

3/ I'd love an Australian supplier of both needles and thread! The M type thread I can get from Birdsall (Syd) and  Qld Wholesale Canvas (QLD), I got my thread from QWC.

Yes round points are the choice most used for textiles, a lot of vinyls and ?some leather.   But most may use a sharp point for leather “ in various points avail”.  With that you mention Orgeon 20, this is a thread size number used and for your machine typical size numbers of interest may be 18 through 22 or ?  Something more important is what machine manufactures use, and termed needle System! Knowing this designation is the most important. Then one can select a number for thread size and points, all depending on project. Leather points typicaly cut their way vs round points pushing a textile thread to its side. 

I suspect your choices in thread will be between V46, v69, v92 and some v138. At this point and with some 20 size you could easily and smartly choose V92 in either nylon or polyester. 

Good day

Floyd

9 hours ago, brmax said:

I suspect your choices in thread will be between V46, v69, v92 and some v138. At this point and with some 20 size you could easily and smartly choose V92 in either nylon or polyester. 

Cheers for your help Floyd. Is v46 thicker/thinner than v69 thread? Is that an American system?

Thinner

http://www.techsew.com/blog/needle-thread-chart/

HTH :)

Here in Oz we generally use the Metric designation for thread size - M40 = #69 (US size), M20 = #138. M40 is probably the most common size used on the 335, but I have used M20 on mine. Thread can be difficult to find here, but I've bought thread from here - http://www.theshanngroup.com/- although you will need to set up a business account to deal with them. I've also bought thread from a leatherwork supply place here in Adelaide.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:49 AM, Northmount said:

Here is another thread / needle chart with some additional information.  Includes thread diameter and strength.  http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

Tom

Great reference chart Tom, thanks heaps.

On 12/12/2017 at 4:49 PM, dikman said:

Here in Oz we generally use the Metric designation for thread size - M40 = #69 (US size), M20 = #138. M40 is probably the most common size used on the 335, but I have used M20 on mine. Thread can be difficult to find here, but I've bought thread from here - http://www.theshanngroup.com/- although you will need to set up a business account to deal with them. I've also bought thread from a leatherwork supply place here in Adelaide.

Helps a great deal Dikman, thanks heaps. The M20 you've used, was it cotton/poly or poly? I assume you used a different sized needle. The Shann Group link is an awesome source. Looks like they have a diverse supply of materials which is good since I sew clothes and home wares too. Cheers mate.

Do you mean Adelaide Leather and Saddlery Supply? I've bought from these guys before, now that I know the thread size I see that they have a right thread online.

Yep, that's the place, bit like an Aladdin's Cave when you walk in there, stuff everywhere! They have a limited range of thread in M20, I'd have to check on what I've got in thread but I think it's mostly poly. Needle size is 22/23 for the bigger thread.