Brtz

Found in an old barn - Pfaff 545-H4

Look what I found in the old barn!

I wonder why feed dog goes only forward and backwards without up and down movement? Does this type have it?

Starting restoration now... more photos soon. Regards. Bert

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Still has compound feeThis is the heaviest version of the 545 made. 

H4   high lift.

Subclass  D which means largest, heaviest hand wheel.

In the model number  the letters mean  L  which is for leather, M means safety clutch. N means maximum 6mm stitch length. 

This model  has no P in the subclass which is for 4-motion drop feed.  You do not have it.  Rather it has compound feed but the feeding  is more of a skip stitch back and forth  This is used a lot in binding.

Hope that helps.  Clean her up, replace any worn screws or parts, slide plates, etc.   Still has compound feed and a walking foot.   You have a great machine there.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
missed something

Glenn and Uwe - thank you. This introduction is very useful. 

I need help. Can you look at the end of the needle bar in my 545-H4 please? I cannot recognize if there is any component missing? What these two holes and a scarf are for?

Is that wire on the lower end of the needle bar (now working as a thread guide) is an original part? I cannot recogize it in my part's list.

Would you also suggest me what kind of grease should I use for the perpendicular gears? My machine was almost dry and the alu-covers were mostly out of the grease inside.

I attach some photos I have taken during cleaning the machine. I am going to do some test sewing soon.

Regards, Bert

25520703_504530826612884_1227787018_o.jpg

25520944_504530766612890_1388737308_o (1).jpg

25520962_504530816612885_1089702577_o.jpg

25530764_504530776612889_1639866752_o.jpg

25551437_504530829946217_1008002164_o.jpg

needle_1.jpg

needle_2.jpg

That machine looks to be in very nice shape overall. Great find! 

That needle bar on your machine looks different than the ones on my Pfaff 145/545. Perhaps your needle bar got replaced at some point. Yours looks like it was designed for use with a separate, tiny thread guide part. That wire is a homemade fix, I think. That wire or screw may actually get in the way between the needle bar and the inner presser foot. It's a tight fit, depending on the foot.

Usually, out of the three holes, one is for the thread guide screw, one is for the needle screw, and the top hole is just a sight hole to see if the needle was inserted all the way.  

On my Pfaffs 145/545 machines the thread guide is built into the tip of the needle bar (and it is often broken on old machines).  I have two replacement needle bars for the Pfaff 145/545 that I got some time ago but haven' t used yet. They're readily available and relatively cheap (Pfaff  Part no. 91-710650-92.)  Both of mine are aftermarket versions. 

Here's are the photos of my Pfaff needle bars, just for reference.

IMG_9538.jpgIMG_9539.jpg

Here's a picture from a Pfaff 545 manual I have: 

Pfaff 545 needle bar tip.jpg

This missing tiny thread guide is probably something like that one which comes from Singer... I think I'll replace whole needle bar for a new one...

Podobny obraz

They make generic needle bars that come with the set screw for the needle.  The lower thread guide is either a slot or hole cut into the needle bar.  I would replace the needle bar.  Despite what people tell you, there are a good number of generic bars available that are not to bad as to price.  If you need genuine parts, be prepared to pay.    Any screws that are "boogered up",  sand and clean up or replace.  Be sure to get an extra needle set screw or  two because they do  wear out.  I recently broke the needle set screw on my  Pfaff 335 and went to replace.  I go into the drawer and low and behold, no extra needle set screw.  I order 8 of them that day because the 545, 335, 345, 1295 and 1245 all use the same set screw for the needle.  I got both genuine and generic to see which is better.  The genuine was $1.18 each, the generic was $.88 each.  Not a lot of money for peace of mind.  To many people on this board do not keep extra parts or screws on hand until they need them.  Not me.  Time not sewing is money.  My advice to you once you get this machine up and running is stock a few parts.   

Keep the pics coming so we can follow the progress on this baby!

glenn

I am going to replace the needle bar for a genuine one, but used - not new. I have just bought another 545 which is damaged and uncomplete. It was only 50usd but it has probably a lot of genuine parts in a good condition. I decided to buy an extra spare-parts shop  in that way. It is coming in one week, so meantime I did a stitch lenght ffd and bckwd calibration using Uwe's patterns (thanks!). And I am also ordering a genuine, new screws for my machines. Regards, Bert.  

SL.jpg

Great.  These are good machines when up and running.  Do you have the manuals for the machine?

glenn

Have no SM neither for 545 nor for 145. If you have one it will be highly appreciated. The only SM I have is for 1245 - http://www.pfaff.com/SiteMedia/PFAFF/Products/Machines/Support-manuals/pfaff_1245_1246-manual-EN.PDF

Bert,

My Pfaff 145/545 PDF manual (Pfaff 145 545 User Manual.pdf) has some service training info appended at the end. It's not quite a full service manual, more like a handout for an instructor led training class, but it's better than nothing. 

Edited by Uwe

Does anyone know where I could find a knee-lifter part No. 93-513 120-91

I attache some pics below.

I temporarly replaced this missing assembly of my lifter with a piece of steel rod but it is not 'aclear' solution... It works very stiff

My local suplier said Pfaff stopped producing this part and I also cannot find any used one...

ps.

Uwe thanks for the manual

regards Brt,

part no.jpg

part view.jpg

For noncritical out-of-production parts like your Pfaff foot lift roller, I'd recommend make your own, or find/make something functionally equivalent. It's not a high precision or critical part and you're free to make stuff up. You're not running a Pfaff museum, after all.

For example, this roller tip from an edge guide on top of a suitable bolt/shaft/rod is functionally equivalent to your missing part. Of course your parts drawer may look different than mine. 

roller.jpg

Of course I take into consideration making an 'ersatzteile' of this roller tip. I even found where to buy a kind of wrist joint (photo). There is a plenty of small rollers availiable but I think using this 'fork' may be better because the roll has two fixing points for its axis istead of one on the side. I think this roller has to be strong as the transmitted forces are pretty big. Anw I decided to ask for an genuine part first. Thanks Uwe.

Btw, Did you know that the left slider (cover) of the bed has a small lock - a pin and a spring? I was surprised yesterday discovering it. There is no single word about it in the parts-list (or I missed this). See photos. Finally I also have an used genuine needle bar for replacing :).

Greetings and a Happy New Year for Everyone!

Bert,

fork.png

needle bar 2.jpg

lock zoom.jpg

lock.jpg

the pin and spring were used to keep the slide plate from coming completely out.  No big deal.  Singer used them as well on the 111W155.

Hi again,

Restoring my 545_h3 'barn' and have two problems:

A) There is a horizontal bar and two levers fixed to this bar with a pair of screw each side (see pic). Two left screws are almost dead so I ordered a new pair. I ordered part no 11-108 225-15 as descibed in the parts list. During the replacement, after unscrewing them it appeared that two left screws are different then two right, however in the parts list all of them have the same part number. (see photo). On the left side I have fine thread (40/inch) diam 5,49mm screws. The right one are normal thread and diam 4,95mm. I believe that the right one are 11-108 225-15 part no but cannot recognize the left one neither in the parts list nor anywhere else in the machine. Can anyone can help me to identify these thick left screws and where I can buy them?

bB) What is No 13-064 383-05 bolt for in 545? (it has a washer and a cotter in H10 version). I cannot recognize its function in the machine?

Regards, Bert

bolt.jpg

both.jpg

left and right dif.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

screws PList.jpg

Ha, I'm having a déjà vu experience here. My Pfaff 545 also had mangled screw heads in the clamps on the foot lift linkage bar. I had ordered new screws based on the parts manual numbers (11-108 225-15) but they don't fit my machine either. 

IMG_9635.jpg

Based on my measurements, I'm voting for the screws in my Pfaff 545 being size 7/32"-40, which is a weird size even in the sewing machine world. I was expecting it to be a 15/64" or 13/64" , which are somewhat common in sewing machines. I had some Juki 1/4"-40 L-11 screws which looked promising, but only for a brief moment. Who knows, maybe Pfaff just found a big box of weird screws on their shelves and decided to just use them somewhere (I really hope I'm wrong here.) 

I found taps for size 7/32"-40 on Amazon so that weird screw size does exist. 

Your best bet for finding screws of that 7/32"-40 size is to look at part lists by manufacturers like Juki, Mitsubishi, etc. that list actual screws sizes. Then order some of those screws and hope for the best. I've not been able to locate any OEM screws with that size. 

Regarding that mystery pin on top of the stitch length mechanism, it's for attaching a return spring. It's only used on the N10 subclass (like on my Pfaff 545), where the stitch length mechanism operates in the opposite direction (there's also no reverse with N10).

I am trying to find these werid screws somewhere in Europe. Maybe UK, so I'll let you know. If not - I am wondering about producing several dozens of them locally. 

And I am happy that the bolt is for H10 subclass only. I was afraid have a some spring missing.  Thanks Uwe.

I will also show you a home-produced roller bar for a knee lifter soon :)

Brt,

Edited by Brtz

what about STRIMA in Poland - they seem to have lots of Pfaff parts

Or check with 

Nähtechnik Kaiserslautern GbR
Im Erfenbacher Tal 16 A
67661 Kaiserslautern
Germany
Phone: 0049 (0) 631 3507818
Fax: 0049 (0) 631 3508202
E-Mail: info [at ]naehtechnik-kl.com

Their website does not exist (anymore or not yet) but I bought parts for my Pfaff 345 from them and they were WAY (!!!) cheaper than any other Pfaff dealer I contacted. But not sure if they ship outside Germany.

They are listed as Pfaff dealer on the Pfaff website too:
Edited by Constabulary

Can anybody help me understanding how the bobbin winder spring should be fixed on the axle? I did a hand-made fix and it's working but I am not sure if it's ok with the original idea. Regards. Brt 

bobbin winder spring.jpg

usually the axle is split and you can simply bend the 2 prongs with a screw driver to fit the bobbins - the shown modification is not necessary.

I decided to make it cause I am using a slightly different diam bobbins coming from two machines. If the axle is spreaded enough one bobbin is fixed properly but another is too small - and the opposite; when the first bobbin is too loose. Both bobbins are cutted on the inside edge so the wire spring solving the problem. Does original bobbin winder have the spring?

12 minutes ago, Brtz said:

Does original bobbin winder have the spring?

table mounted winders for industrial sewing machine usually don´t have springs on the axle - at least I haven´t seen this before. There are some type of machine mounted bobbin winders that may have a small spring if I recall correctly.

I too have the same issue mentioned above with the 11-108 225-15 screws on the left linkage bar of my Pfaff 145. I had them measured as 12-40's so I guess the same size as Uwe said.  Mine too are fowled at the head. If anyone finds a source, please post.

IMG_5435.jpeg

BINGO!

This weird screw for the horizontal bar in pfaff 145; 545 is NOT 11-108 225-15.

It is 91-000 560-15!

you can check it temporarly replacing this screw from the feed dog lifting axle, as I marked on the picture.

mine fits perfectly.

Regards, Bert

weird screw bingo.jpg