KIMG0038-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.4158fed14f55e99fe1c45778230cec21.JPG

My collection is now complete (as far as I'm concerned for now). I started with the French style head knife over a year ago. Then a forum member sold me the long knife. Now I finally have the curved detail knife.

Man what a cutter. Terry Knipschield, if you didn't know, is a custom knife maker. One of the few that build custom leather knives, period. There just aren't many out there. Terry makes a super sharp quality knife. He does a terrific job on every one I have seen, which are these three.

It took about 3 months to get my first knife. It took 6 months to get the curved detail knife. And let me tell you right now, the are worth every minute of the wait. Every minute.

Mr. Knipschield is a man who has been making knives for over thirty years. But, he is a one man show. He won't sacrifice quality for quantity. He just won't. And that's why I don't mind waiting for his work.

I am a hobbyist and can afford the wait, and his prices are overly reasonable to me.

Each order I have placed I politely let him know that I was willing to wait and I promised not to pester him. Things happen in small business that consumers just never consider. One man businesses get sick, have to have a day off at least once a month, and sometimes they just need a minute to get back to their bearings. Having been in business before I can totally relate to this scenario.

I am very proud to have been blessed with some of Terry's work. 

Just wanted to share. Thanks.

Happy to know you're happy

We're a strange lot aren't we? Happy to have a nice, high quality working knife..........

Edited by fredk

Nice knifes, I have a draw gauge blade from him that performs very well.

Just now, fredk said:

Happy to know you're happy

We're a strange lot aren't we? Happy to have a nice quality working knife..........

Yes, we are. Yeah, you can cut anything with a razor knife, but....... 

There is just something to be said about holding a knife that was made for you. And, it cuts leather like a hot knife through warm butter.

Sure you can cut and sand vegtan with the razor knife, but I like using this combination tanned horsebutt. You need a clean cut on this stuff so you don't have to worry about the edges.

NIce set! ...I hate you...I bought an Ivan Damascus round knife last year and thought my x-acto craft knives would be good enough for other tasks. Now I have to spend more money!! ...I don't hate you... Just green:)

24 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

NIce set! ...I hate you...I bought an Ivan Damascus round knife last year and thought my x-acto craft knives would be good enough for other tasks. Now I have to spend more money!! ...I don't hate you... Just green:)

It's not a cheap investment, but if you compare prices and steel, Knipknives are a great investment.

Nice set you have, I'll eventually get there. 

Sweet trio. Of the three, I bet that curved blade would be the most difficult to sharpen.

You will need to build yourself a nice round buffing unit, with curved top. ;-)

Nice blades for sure. A lifetime of investment in fine steel right there. 

Chas

Someone once said a bad workman blames his tools when things go wrong...

I’ve been my trade for nearly forty years and I continually look for better tools. Every day I learn how to make my work a little better and in turn make my customers happier.

The joy we get from a really good quality tool “has” to make our work better.

So... The truth is, a good workman is entitled to blame his tools when things go wrong!

3 hours ago, Fire88 said:

Nice set you have, I'll eventually get there. 

Thanks, I'm sure you will.

2 hours ago, ChasCS said:

Sweet trio. Of the three, I bet that curved blade would be the most difficult to sharpen.

You will need to build yourself a nice round buffing unit, with curved top. ;-)

Nice blades for sure. A lifetime of investment in fine steel right there. 

Chas

Yeah, I think a large dowel wrapped in leather is in my future.

Let's see. 

Curved knife: 95.00

French model 145.00

Straight knife 95.00

So, 335.00 and I can cut pretty much anything. That was less than a dollar a day investment over the last year. I think they will last me a lifetime.

I'm happy with that.

1 hour ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Someone once said a bad workman blames his tools when things go wrong...

I’ve been my trade for nearly forty years and I continually look for better tools. Every day I learn how to make my work a little better and in turn make my customers happier.

The joy we get from a really good quality tool “has” to make our work better.

So... The truth is, a good workman is entitled to blame his tools when things go wrong!

While I'll agree with the sentiment in the first sentence, I have always said, you can't get a 300.00 cut from a 30.00 skil saw.

Precision tools do allow us to elevate our talents. Yes, one can get by with less, but he can do so much more with the proper tools.

I could build a house with a hachet, but I wouldn't want too.

That is the kind of satisfied customer review that everyone wants..one can actually feel your pleasure in owning your knipknives there BikerMutt, brings a warm smile .. :)

4 minutes ago, mikesc said:

That is the kind of satisfied customer review that everyone wants..one can actually feel your pleasure in owning your knipknives there BikerMutt, brings a warm smile .. :)

Thanks. He is a really nice man just doing what he can to help folks. I really am pleased with his product and service. Ya just have to understand upfront that it's gonna take a minute.

I remember way back when I worked in the food industry......

They told me "a customer will wait an hour for you to help them, as long as you acknowledge them and tell them you will be with them as quickly as you can".

I have lived both sides of that story. I am always ready to wait for that person who acknowledges me. And I am always upset when they don't.

Terry has been great.

Congrats on some great looking tools!  I think that good tools don't just make work easier they also help to inspire quality work.

Rodney

On 12/9/2017 at 3:38 PM, bikermutt07 said:

KIMG0038-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.4158fed14f55e99fe1c45778230cec21.JPG

My collection is now complete (as far as I'm concerned for now). I started with the French style head knife over a year ago. Then a forum member sold me the long knife. Now I finally have the curved detail knife.

Man what a cutter. Terry Knipschield, if you didn't know, is a custom knife maker. One of the few that build custom leather knives, period. There just aren't many out there. Terry makes a super sharp quality knife. He does a terrific job on every one I have seen, which are these three.

It took about 3 months to get my first knife. It took 6 months to get the curved detail knife. And let me tell you right now, the are worth every minute of the wait. Every minute.

Mr. Knipschield is a man who has been making knives for over thirty years. But, he is a one man show. He won't sacrifice quality for quantity. He just won't. And that's why I don't mind waiting for his work.

I am a hobbyist and can afford the wait, and his prices are overly reasonable to me.

Each order I have placed I politely let him know that I was willing to wait and I promised not to pester him. Things happen in small business that consumers just never consider. One man businesses get sick, have to have a day off at least once a month, and sometimes they just need a minute to get back to their bearings. Having been in business before I can totally relate to this scenario.

I am very proud to have been blessed with some of Terry's work. 

Just wanted to share. Thanks.

Well, after reading your glowing review I had to contact a Terry to place an order!  Waiting for him to reply - I see he has some knives available now, so maybe I won’t have to wait!

Gary

I like the look of that detail blade.  Terry Knip. made a replacement blade for my plough guage and I love it. have fun.

Yeah, he's great.

Just heard back from Terry - looks like a 6 month wait for anything, but my name is on the waiting list!

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Just heard back from Terry - looks like a 6 month wait for anything, but my name is on the waiting list!

It'll be worth it. Which one did you order?

7 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

It'll be worth it. Which one did you order?

I ordered the Pull-Cut knife Model #1.  I have a round knife so thought I would try something different.

4 hours ago, garypl said:

I ordered the Pull-Cut knife Model #1.  I have a round knife so thought I would try something different.

That is an interesting knife. I've gotten to where I love the push cut. The detail knife is for those super tight radii, like on the edges of this wallet.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is an interesting knife. I've gotten to where I love the push cut. The detail knife is for those super tight radii, like on the edges of this wallet.

I seem to have a more difficult time pushing the knife - my eyesight isn't so good anymore and I can get down and see better when I am cutting toward myself!  I also use a utility knife with snap off blades, but I just keep stropping the blade and I have not had any need to snap the front section off.  It really cuts smoothly when I keep it stropped.  Nice job on the wallet, by the way!

Thanks, I see your "point". Stropping goes a long way even on those throw away blades.

What is the primary use of your curved hook knife and when will you use this instead of the round or straight knife?

Gary

Here is where. See at the bottom of the wallet. It is only one piece through there so you have to make little ¼ pie cuts back to back. These cuts help you know how much to fold back. So, you have to cut them while it's still flat. KIMG0043-2080x1170.thumb.JPG.e7a5f5eebf51ec6b46157a92490ea3c3.JPGJust no way to get that head knife in there.KIMG0044-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.e894c2b308cefd1344a2507fe3f659a1.JPG

I don’t follow you Bikermutt - I don’t see where you made the pie cuts, but I understand how you can cut in tight places with that skinny hook blade!