ebdavison

4-strand round braid bracelet

I have made a 4-strand round braid bracelet which fit just find at first.  As time went on it got tighter and tighter and is now so loose it comes off too easily.  I put a simple end with a hole on one side and a knot on the other.  That was a simple design I had on the web somewhere but it is not really feeling finished, just technically possible to close.

How would you or how have you guys "finished" or created a closures for a 4-strand round braid bracelet?

Photos:

38936302692_ae44e7c7a2_k.jpgIMG_2847 by Ed Davison, on Flickr

38973076331_86c8551bb7_k.jpgIMG_2846 by Ed Davison, on Flickr

Edited by ebdavison

Hmm, I'm assuming you meant the braid got tighter which made the bracelet looser.. correct. 

I have some thoughts that may help if you try this again. 

You obviously want to use a leather that isn't too stretchy. In some cases you can pre-stretch it too. Latigo is usually a good choice.

Second, beveling the edges of the lace will help it lay flatter giving you a tighter braid.

Third, rolling the finished braid will help everything sit tight and nice and even. 

Also, some braiders soap may be a good idea to help everything slip together. It also conditions the leather a bit. 

Your design is good and solid. Can't go wrong with that. You can do it one of two ways I know of. You can cut a yoke with a hole in it big enough for your end knot and cut the 4 lace strands from that. Or you can cut two strands on either side of a central yoke, then fold that in half giving you your loop. 

I hope all that made sense. Let me know if it didn't haha. 

11 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Hmm, I'm assuming you meant the braid got tighter which made the bracelet looser.. correct. 

You obviously want to use a leather that isn't too stretchy. In some cases you can pre-stretch it too.

Second, beveling the edges of the lace will help it lay flatter giving you a tighter braid.

Third, rolling the finished braid will help everything sit tight and nice and even. 

Yes, I meant the braid got tighter (which I would expect over time) but do not know know how to handle at the time of making to prevent the growth of the length over time.

I made this from pig which has virtually no stretch.  The length has only grown from the tightening of the braid.  This was actually made from one piece that was rounded, a hole cut and then strips cut starting just pass the hole to make 4 strands.  Works well except for a few details like the hole got looser and the braid got tighter.

Beveling is a good idea that I will try next time.  Rolling like under your hand or against the workbench?

40 minutes ago, ebdavison said:

Beveling is a good idea that I will try next time.  Rolling like under your hand or against the workbench?

I always rolled a round braid between two boards, I think I saw it in Bruce Grant's book or something.  It works pretty good.

Like big Sioux said, get 2 boards or if you have a granite slab a one board and the slab will work. Put the braid down on the board or slab and lay the other on top of the braid and roll back and forth untill it looks tight and uniform. You can try and Google/YouTube whip makers and it'll show them rolling their whips. Same process. It'll really make it look good. 

for my 4 strand bracelets i do a loop and braid the ends back into the braid so that the loop is also a 4 strand instead of the single stand loop you have there.  also you need to roll and stretch your braid before you do final finishing because of the braid stretching and tightening down as you describe.  roll braid well and then pull on it to get it stretched then do your size measurement and this will ensure a longer lasting fit.  also all leather stretches..even kangaroo with has the highest tensile strength will stretch as it ages and wears. 

On 12/11/2017 at 3:41 AM, roo4u said:

for my 4 strand bracelets i do a loop and braid the ends back into the braid so that the loop is also a 4 strand instead of the single stand loop you have there.  also you need to roll and stretch your braid before you do final finishing because of the braid stretching and tightening down as you describe.  roll braid well and then pull on it to get it stretched then do your size measurement and this will ensure a longer lasting fit.  also all leather stretches..even kangaroo with has the highest tensile strength will stretch as it ages and wears. 

Do you know where I can find instructions on the back braid to create the loop?  I would have liked to go that route but at the time I could not find instructions or reference on this, just pictures of the end result.

I did not roll the braid before I completed it which I see now I need to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by ebdavison

you can roll little things like bracelets with just your hand on a hard surface...then pull it to stretch the braid tight.  as to the braid back im not sure if there is anything online.  i learned from a bruce grant book on braiding.  if i can get something braided i will try to post a tutorial on how i do my back braids. 

On 12/17/2017 at 4:23 AM, roo4u said:

you can roll little things like bracelets with just your hand on a hard surface...then pull it to stretch the braid tight.  as to the braid back im not sure if there is anything online.  i learned from a bruce grant book on braiding.  if i can get something braided i will try to post a tutorial on how i do my back braids. 

Thank you!  A tutorial on back braiding would be awesome!