superpacker

Chicago Screws - What Size?

Making a basic veg tanned belt. Want to use Chicago Screws instead of rivits but they are new to me and I’m not sure what Length post to use. Strap is 9-10 oz and will be skived at buckle end to maybe a bit more that half thickness. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I use the open back they sell at Tandy's :)  They are the smallest posts and when you use the Chicago screws it good to use lock tight on them so the screws don't back out.  

s-l640.jpg

For 9-10 ounce un-skived, i use 1/4" posts, but since you're skiving it, 3/16" posts should work.

When figuring out what length post to use, remember that 8 ounce leather is about 1/8" thick. Sounds like you are skiving to about 6 ounce thickness.

6 ounce = 3/32".

3/32" x 2 is 3/16".

The leather will compress some if the post is slightly too short, and that's ok. If you go too long, it will slide around, possibly getting caught on pant loops, and the holes might stretch.

Something else to remember when installing chicago screws is to put a dab of thread lock on the threads of the screw. Make sure you use the kind that isn't permanent.

Tom, thanks for the tip on the thread lock substitute! I don’t plan on using Chicago Screws a lot - so don’t want to buy a tube of thread lock at least right now

8 hours ago, superpacker said:

Jeselright - very helpful formula! Is there any benefit to the open back screws?

Yes, they don't bottom out, letting you cinch down tighter on thinner materials.

Tom

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, Northmount said:

Fingernail polish works to lock the threads too.

Tom

Hay, I did not know that :) I'm going to have to try that thank youB)

The open backs are there so threads can be cut in to the needed depth. Short posts that are closed would only have 2 or 3 threads cut before tap would bottom out.