JD50

Edge Beveler Sharpening

I recently picked up several edge bevelers (sizes 1-5) and a French edge skiver at an estate sale. They were all very dull.

I have tried unsuccessfully to put an edge on them using small strips of sandpaper wrapped around a finishing nail ground flat on one side.

Any help on how to sharpen these things would be appreciated.

Some appropriate sized string with rouge on it? I guess one could cut some leather strips from scrap as well making appropriate sized strops?

if you don't wont to try the above as mentioned you can go to any parts store and ask for a fine grit honing compound, then rub some string and do as mentioned above.  Or Weaver sells an already made board, but you will still need the rouge to rub on the leather.

hay Battle there use to be a well known photographer round yer parts named Leon Kennamer if spell right I figure him to be very old, just wondering if he is still alive?

don't wont to detract the thread.  

I would start with sandpaper around a small dowel. Pull away from the edge. Run through the grits. Then make an edge with them on some stiff vegtan. Rub rouge into that edge and run them backwards through that. Shouldn't take too long.

I have tutorials on my website for sharpening both French edgers and edge bevelers. With some browsers just reading them on the site will will not display the illustrations. Feel free to download them. Here is the link to that page - https://brucejohnsonleather.com/tutorials/

Thanks,

Bruce

Search YouTube for 'sharpening an edge beveller',  there are several videos. Watch the French one; even if you can't speak French the video is plain enough

Edited by zuludog

Thank you all. Great info.

Bruce, the tutorials are really helpful.

JD