I have been asked many times to produce a DVD of the skills I use and teach here in the workshop.
It is a very good idea, but given the audience I reach is global, the shipping will often cost more than the DVD.
Also, it would mean multiple DVD's to get all the skills in.
So... I settled on an online tutorial channel on Vimeo, in the long run you will get far more from it.
It is still at the early stages but videos are being added frequently, at a rate of 4 a month.

The cost is £2:99 a month irrelevant of the quantity of videos on the channel, whether it be 25 or 250, it will always be £2:99.
I have a current working list of videos to make of 124, this grows as people ask for specific techniques to be shown.
The idea is to look at each technique as a standalone practice piece to be brought together when attempting a project.
Up until now, I have shown you how to work through a project whilst not paying enough attention to the specific skills used.
This should help with that.

Enjoy

Nigel Armitage

Edited by Dangerous Beans

This will be money well spent. Hopefully, you will offer some annual payment options?

This is a great idea. Another YouTuber name of Izzy Swan started a wood worker's guild that offers video content and design plans for a nominal membership fee. He also does sponsorship giveaways to his members. 

The very best of luck to you, Nigel. You have been a standard setter around this site. Thanks.

The cost is £2:99 a month irrelevant of the quantity of videos on the channel, whether it be 25 or 250, it will always be £2:99.

You might want to rethink that a bit, or wait until you have a 100 or so in place, before opening it up to paying punters ( 4 vids a month is two years "give or take" )..otherwise anyone signing up in the early months, will have far fewer videos to see than someone signing up 2 years from now ( and the "early birds" will have paid a total of £72.00 by then ( I'm rounding up the pennies to £3.00 a month there x 12 x 2 = £72.00 ) ..anyone who can do the maths, won't sign up today..and be paying a total of £72.00 to see 100vids...when someone signing up in month 24..will be paying only £3.00 to have access to all 100 vids..

Nice idea..and I like your youtube stuff ..you have a particularly clear speaking voice ..and you don't do all the visual "back flips"* and "zooms"* that plague so many videos..and there is no "evil music"* getting in the way..

*All "visual effects" and all "music" is evil on 99% of all videos..unless they are "music videos"..

ps..I like the Bob Ross ( who just "free-wheeled" his videos ) and Tony Hart ( who rarely spoke in his ) styles of videos..but, I think you and most here are probably too young to remember either of them..

edit reason ..made a typo in my maths the first time , originally read £180.00 ( I was projecting over 5 years in the first draft ) corrected to £72.00..the original "wrong" £180..which BikerMutt "snagged" in his quote below whilst I was correcting..my apologies to you BM :)

Edited by mikesc

16 minutes ago, mikesc said:

You might want to rethink that a bit, or wait until you have a 100 or so in place, before opening it up to paying punters ( 4 vids a month is two years "give or take" )..otherwise anyone signing up in the early months, will have far fewer videos to see than someone signing up 2 years from now ( and the "early birds" will have paid a total of £72.00 by then ( I'm rounding up the pennies to £3.00 a month there x 12 x 2 = £180.00 ) ..anyone who can do the maths, won't sign up today..and be paying a total of £72.00 to see 100vids...when someone signing up in month 24..will be paying only £3.00 to have access to all 100 vids..

Nice idea..and I like your youtube stuff ..you have a particularly clear speaking voice ..and you don't do all the visual "back flips"* and "zooms"* that plague so many videos..and there is no "evil music"* getting in the way..

*All "visual effects" and all "music" is evil on 99% of all videos..unless they are "music videos"..

ps..I like the Bob Ross ( who just "free-wheeled his videos ) and Tony Hart ( who rarely spoke in his ) styles of videos..but, I think you and most here are probably too young to remember either of them..

He should narrate children's books.

Yes.. :)Definitely.. :)

Happy little stitches.

SUBSCRIBED!! Thank you!

I subscribed a little while back, and greatly appreciate the resource!

@mikesc as someone who does financial analysis In order to create disposable income to spend on much more fun things like leatherwork, always good to see a logical build! That said, I’m happy to subscribe early to provide a small measure of support to someone dedicated to sharing knowledge on the craft. Perhaps I’m just part of the ‘invisible hand’ ;)...

Thanks for sharing your expertise Nigel, I'm looking forward to trying your out your series!  

I've got an idea for your list... blade sharpening. 

I watched a couple last night and they are very good! Just the right length, and packed with great info.

On 13/12/2017 at 4:23 AM, strathmoredesigns said:

Thanks for sharing your expertise Nigel, I'm looking forward to trying your out your series!  

I've got an idea for your list... blade sharpening. 

A basic explanation of sharpening a straight knife is already on there.

Nige

I signed up. Ive only just started making leather stuff. As a lefty I've been told my whole life that I'm useless with my hands so its refreshing to see another lefty making great stuff.

would like to see saddle stitch using a pricking chisel from a left handed perspective.

15 hours ago, lostcaggy said:

I signed up. Ive only just started making leather stuff. As a lefty I've been told my whole life that I'm useless with my hands so its refreshing to see another lefty making great stuff.

would like to see saddle stitch using a pricking chisel from a left handed perspective.

It is currently in the making.

23 hours ago, lostcaggy said:

The traditional saddle stitch left handed has been posted to the site.
This along with five other videos should keep you going for a few hours.

Nige

On 12/14/2017 at 3:26 PM, lostcaggy said:

We are odd and different, but far from useless. We can do anything right handed better than they can do it left handed.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

We are odd and different, but far from useless. We can do anything right handed better than they can do it left handed.

That is true, I cant even sign my name with my left :rofl:

31 minutes ago, JD62 said:

That is true, I cant even sign my name with my left :rofl:

I wouldn't even try my left hand.  My right hand can hardly sign my name most days!  Can't even read my own writing half the time now.  Thank heavens for computers, I can still type and correct, so it is readable!

Tom

Seven more videos added since this post went up.
Some useful stuff on there folks.

Take a look.

Nigel

Finding the video's really useful. Loved the left handed saddle stitch one. The one on cutting leather was really useful and also how to thread a needle.

thank you, its nice to be able to find what I need to find and know its good information with out a lot of b.s. to sort thru

I want to chime in with my perspective.  Monthly cost with no monthly release schedule... makes me say nope. monthly cost with 50 videos already in the can, sure. patreon only subscription  sure you make vids I pay for them as they come out.  I am willing to pay for your knowledge. But I am the kind of guy who would pay you to get in in one sitting or over the course of a month... or buy a dvd. I am not the kind of guy to pay you $4 a month weather or not you give me $4 of value.

@Dangerous BeansI signed up a day or two ago and already watched everything. I loved your YouTube videos a lot and this to me is a blessing. I admire your work and the tips and explanations you give are invaluable to me. 

Everyone is their own person, some will go for this some won't. I just want to say thank you for your time and energy in producing these videos. They are very informative and I enjoy them immensely. Thanks!

A bunch more videos have been added since I last posted on here, there is now over 40 skill based videos on the list.
The most recent covering turned and piped seams.
Hope it helps.

Nige

On 17/12/2017 at 4:13 AM, tomsmith85717 said:

I want to chime in with my perspective.  Monthly cost with no monthly release schedule... makes me say nope. monthly cost with 50 videos already in the can, sure. patreon only subscription  sure you make vids I pay for them as they come out.  I am willing to pay for your knowledge. But I am the kind of guy who would pay you to get in in one sitting or over the course of a month... or buy a dvd. I am not the kind of guy to pay you $4 a month weather or not you give me $4 of value.

Thats fine Tom, it is not a prerequisite, it is purely optional.

Nige