BoulevardEast

Machine Recommendations & Attachments for Leather Binding

It is just a bias tape and I have successfully used (albeit still practicing) 1-2 oz ribbon leather thru it. 

10 hours ago, Pauls Leather said:

It is just a bias tape and I have successfully used (albeit still practicing) 1-2 oz ribbon leather thru it. 

That is still awesome, I'd want something for heavier binding, but not ready to pony up the dough yet lol

Wow! Great info! Thank you all so much!

Have a look at:

Hi guys!  I'm still looking for a reasonable solution here.  I never received a response back (see above), so still looking for solutions at this point.  I came across this today and I'm waiting to find out from the seller 1) the maximum thickness/weight of the tape that can be put into the machine, 2) the width of the tape, and 3) the maximum thickness of the leather that can be bound.   They have 3 different options for the binding and they are only $43.56 each!   If these really work, it's better than paying $450. I have a Cobra Class 4 machine and this listing says that it fits a  441.   I'll update once I get a response.  

image1.PNG

image2.PNG

@Anubis78, I have looked at that same binder on aliexpress. I looks to me like it is just a standard inexpensive binder attached to one of the mounts for the accessory plate. You can get one cheap on ebay for under $20 to experiment with. Here is a link to the first one that came up, but you can search for others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391158258476

On 1/9/2019 at 5:10 PM, JJN said:

@Anubis78, I have looked at that same binder on aliexpress. I looks to me like it is just a standard inexpensive binder attached to one of the mounts for the accessory plate. You can get one cheap on ebay for under $20 to experiment with. Here is a link to the first one that came up, but you can search for others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391158258476

I'll look into this one too!

Yep that's the site/app.  The response that I got back from the vendor is that they customize them to your needs.  I simply want something that has versatility with the weight of the leather used for the tape as well as the weight of the item being bound. 

So what I have seen is that Cobra doesn’t have an equivalent for a synchronized binder correct? I have a class 4 and would live to find something to make this happen.

You may have seen this.

Pretty sure this would work on a Cobra as well but check with the dealers:

However to me it looks a bit odd too me. I´m guessing they are running too thick leather in their binding attachment. And therefore the stitches are shorter than the binder attachment travel. When you run too thick binding material through your binder the synchronized binder bracket pulls back the binding material and stitches become shorter because of the friction between binder and binding material - guess how I know (had the same problem with my 108w20).

EDIT:
Just noticed this Video has been posted by Uwe before

Edited by Constabulary

Hi all, any update on which machine now has the best binding options? I need a machine to sew and bind heavy thick quilted bags, mostly canvas, and webbing but some leather. I’d love it if I could also use it for quilt binding but not sure if that’s asking too much. I’d prefer to get one machine so thinking I’d stay away from the flat bed. Thank you in advance for any insight you can share.