So i'm in the planning process of making a leather shotgun case which will have Tandy Kodiak leather then closed cell polyethelene padding then an upholstery fabric lining. My everyday adhesive is tanners bond contact cement, but on such a large area, it seems unrealistic to use contact cement, between the leather and foam and then between the foam and the lining. So i'm wondring what some alternatives may be? I was thinking spray adhesive, but have never used it before and not sure what to look for as far as super strength "last a lifetime" spray adhesive goes. All 3 layers will of course be stitched together round the edge of the case, including a zip.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I forget the actual name but most auto parts stores carry 3M spray adhesive that is used for headliners/etc. It should work for what you are wanting to do

that's the one, thanks Bodean

50 minutes ago, Halitech said:

that's the one, thanks Bodean

You bet. Stuff works good. I have been using it on leather pieces that are larger. 

Used it before to glue holsters. Great for a lot of stuff. 

3M glues are absolute best, I use their foam glue in the green can all the time to make classic "cheese cutter" caps and it works very well. Unfortunately the cans run out of "air" long before they run out of glue, but I am investigating into the method to re-fill them from a compressor, just need to figure out the moisture removal.

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

3M glues are absolute best, I use their foam glue in the green can all the time to make classic "cheese cutter" caps and it works very well. Unfortunately the cans run out of "air" long before they run out of glue, but I am investigating into the method to re-fill them from a compressor, just need to figure out the moisture removal.

Bang the can on the edge of your bench. (Side of can) It works. I don't know why. I've done it with most aerosol cans at some point.Ok to dent  but don't puncture it.lol

Edited by Mattsbagger

In my case the pressure runs down to 0 PSI so no amount of banging would help. Before these cans are completely low, warming them up under hot water prolongs their life a bit, but not for long.

Theres a brand name, and very old that has specialized to specfics with some adhesives. I just thought to pass what Ive heard from longtime pros. Some points i have heard are foam safe, soft glue line, low soak, hi heat ( i mean arizona landau top hot ). I am not sure if any can be obtained in single cans near you but you may find available somewhere. And to be honest i have also used 3m happily forever, but in the recent past have learned of this company.  

Camie, take a look under industries. 

http://www.camie.com/

good day

Floyd

"Quick and dirty" method to remove moisture from air line..put a toilet roll into a second filter bowl set up where the airline joins the "airtool"..you can also get Anhydrous Calcium Chloride pellets to put into an airline filter, they'll remove all moisture...Or..you could get a bag of the Humidity Remover Crystals sold as " Rubson" in Europe( may have another name elsewhere ) and similar fro removing humidity from houses ( the kind of thing where you put the crystals into a holder over a tray and then put the thing in the room to draw off the water from the air ) and use them..I think they are Calcium Silicate..some kinds of kitty litter are highly absorbent too..especially the crystalline type..you can always find a way to "dry air"..

Automotive paint and body stores actually sell an inline toilet paper filter cartridge here in the states.

You probably won't find it at pep boys or O'Reilly's, but a real supply house.

Also, 3m makes an M90 spray adhesive that is supposed to be better than the M77. I have cans of it left over from the cabinet refacing I used to do. But, as of yet, I haven't tried it on leather.