Mjolnir

Show your Shop

Now its messy, these were taken after moving the big stuff in :) 

4 minutes ago, DarkGoku said:

Now its messy, these were taken after moving the big stuff in :) 

I was going to say!  You weren't fooling anyone with that clean shop!

I wish I had that room available. 

34 minutes ago, DarkGoku said:

20171009_220339_resized.jpg

Love the Bruce Lee flag, I own ever one of his movies and a lot of books, a buddy of mine took a picture of his grave site next to Brandons and made a nice black and white picture.

This has to be the best thread ever that was made love seeing everyones shops.

my home (versus farm) shop  is like one fit into a submarine... in the passage between the stairs and laundry area and on wheels so it can pull out to service the furnace.... cozy and almost everything within arms reach... literally. I have a little more space a the farm and am transitioning as I seem to get more bench time there nowadays so am setting it up slowly.. and I don't have the Boss anymore as I am looking for a cylinder arm for the farm to go with the 96K51 I have there. 

IMG_0086 (Small).JPG

IMG_0087 (Small).JPG

IMG_0089 (Small).JPG

IMG_0091 (Small).JPG

IMG_0092 (Small).JPG

IMG_0093 (Small).JPG

Farm shop in progress... sewing machine in another area

IMG-20140302-00907 (Small).jpg

IMG-20140302-00910 (Small).jpg

plinkercases, I'm digging the hanging sheaths. Really, who wears a round knife, right! With each shop there is a, 'what is that?', moment. 'Why?' I'm guessing you dry stuff on the grate with the fan. What's under the sheet man! What is behind that suspicious particle board wall of AdamPCain's? Bruce says keep out. :)

I wanted to add a pic of my little art room. It was my stepsons old bedroom so it's superman blue. If I had not divorced before painting it pink for the stepdaughter, I would have used the left over blue to repaint it. Just sayin' Cradom! ;) My daughter would rock the pink leather shop!

My reason for sharing is if you need a large surface for painting or whatever, not pounding. cheapest table ever. Walmart bookshelf, hollow door. L-brackets. cut a hole to run wires.

20171216_150053_resized.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

plinkercases, I'm digging the hanging sheaths. Really, who wears a round knife, right! With each shop there is a, 'what is that?', moment. 'Why?' I'm guessing you dry stuff on the grate with the fan. What's under the sheet man!

Yes that is the drying rack and behind the blue stripped sheet is a book shelf with my wife's many years of photo albums from when one actually did that kind of thing... and often a cat or two.... Come to think of it I am not sure why its covered...may have been before I started organically growing a shop down there....

I WAS going to ask who's body was hidden behind the sheet!

I love this thread, some shops make me happier about my space, others, not so much. 

I don't know if they still ship them this way, but when I was building my airplane, I went to the local motorcycle/snow machine dealer, and found they get their stock in steel frames. Perfect for a table support.

It's worth a try. Easier than building one out of lumber. They don't break down, so you need a pickup or better to haul one home. I had a couple of them for bases in my Kitty Hawk/Wright Brothers shop.

Also, while I'm thinking back that far............(Yes, a LONG time ago)...I got some countertops, solid as heck, from a local cabinet/countertop outfit. Mistakes, over-runs, client changed their mind, etc. They were happy to get rid of them. These make an excellent work surface, they are heavy, solid, and cheap. What's not to love?

Jeff

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

, but when I was building my airplane, ....

I hope it wasn't in your basement and then you had trouble getting it up the stairs....

@plinkercases seeing all your homemade tools and such I was inspired to post this picture of a press I made for leather working, I'm a welder/mechanic/machinist, dabbler in all things metal...and leather so I had the materials available, but I made this so that I could hang a weight from the handle and walk away to let something form/flatten/stamp while I worked on something else.

DSCN3802.JPG

I really like your burnisher by the way, very nice.

Edited by Jake907

15 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

@plinkercases seeing all your homemade tools and such I was inspired to post this picture of a press I made for leather working, I'm a welder/mechanic/machinist, dabbler in all things metal...and leather so I had the materials available, but I made this so that I could hang a weight from the handle and walk away to let something form/flatten/stamp while I worked on something else.

DSCN3802.JPG

a lever long enough can move the world. if you can machine a 360 clamp we can start a business!

27 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

45 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I WAS going to ask who's body was hidden behind the sheet!

I love this thread, some shops make me happier about my space, others, not so much. 

Also, while I'm thinking back that far............(Yes, a LONG time ago)...I got some countertops, solid as heck, from a local cabinet/countertop outfit. Mistakes, over-runs, client changed their mind, etc. They were happy to get rid of them. These make an excellent work surface, they are heavy, solid, and cheap. What's not to love?

Jeff

This my friends is a great hack. Believe it or not there are enough leathercrafters in the world than your local countertop foundry will cut their scrap into 1x2 foot pieces for tooling. The lady at my local store was so nice she told me the whole history of my granite. Tiger stripes with pink crystal from Africa etc... cost me $40, great way to spend an afternoon.

47 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

I hope it wasn't in your basement and then you had trouble getting it up the stairs....

Cold shivers run up my spine. I hear a thump, thump as a striped sheet is dragged up the basement stairs.

I've got quite a bit crammed into and 8'X20' space.  It only really shows one end of the shop

Paul

100_2874.jpg

100_2930.jpg

100_2931.jpg

1 minute ago, sheathmaker said:

I've got quite a bit crammed into and 8'X20' space.  It only really shows one end of the shop

Paul

100_2874.jpg

100_2930.jpg

100_2931.jpg

Do you have grand kids? Do you want one?

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

a lever long enough can move the world. if you can machine a 360 clamp we can start a business!

I'm not seeing the 360 degree clamp, want to elaborate?.........or did that just go way over my head :-)

12 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Smaller pieces only in the basement...then the garage for the wings and fuselage. I did have a little issue with the fuselage, however. It's built upside down in a jig, and I put the access hole for the elevator bellcrank in the wrong place...so now there's a hole on one side at the right height, and one on the other side that is at "not the right height". I imagine the present owner is scratching his head over that one.

Due to current circumstances this must be a challenger for those most compact work space  (not shop).

hope this works as I'm alien to this phone at the best of times.

20171217_144809~2.jpg

Edited by Orangeleather
Resizing image

When I started this hobby I was really into Hi-end audio equipment that was just to expensive.  Being a tool&die maker by trade I have always like making things so I figured I would try leather working it's probably cheaper. Boy was I wrong now I am going to buy my first industrial sewing machine after the holidays.  I love it though it keeps me busy and I have something to show for it.

1 hour ago, Orangeleather said:

Due to current circumstances this must be a challenger for those most compact work space  (not shop).

hope this works as I'm alien to this phone at the best of times.

20171217_144809~2.jpg

Dig the magnets! And the use of closet space! :) 

My shop is just a Little bit more messy than others....

You can also play the game of where is waldo and try find All the machines....  There are a few other areas of machines as well.. :)

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Dig the magnets! And the use of closet space! :) 

Thanks, magnetic knife racks have multiple uses and cheap, closet space it’s definitely work in progress however I’m planning on a taller desk.

Edited by Orangeleather

12 minutes ago, leathersmyth said:

My shop is just a Little bit more messy than others....

You can also play the game of where is waldo and try find All the machines....  There are a few other areas of machines as well.. :)

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

When I think of the term “workshop”, this is exactly what I see in my head. 

Love this thread! Appreciate everyone sharing their workspaces. Here are a few pics of mine; I work out of a finished basement, which luckily has good natural light. I have three mini-areas - my bench / fabric cutting table, ironing station and sewing table. And furry helpers, who love to slide in under my bench when I’m working. I also have my burnished set up in a corner of the garage  

The table is an old oak dining table I picked up off Craigslist eons ago, that hubby raised up so that we could fit the filing cabinet underneath (to my left is our home office). 

536A5F31-D1D4-404B-BDB4-F69F55115AED.jpeg

BCA8EA03-4631-414E-B71D-E7BB85D2EF5C.jpeg

CF686AAA-5911-493C-A2D7-36130C30A1CC.jpeg

9444F773-0614-41ED-B198-CA7965A0965C.jpeg

Close up of my bench - I bought clear, plastic makeup holders from TJ Maxx. $5 each, and perfect size to holds small tools and thread etc

233AD84D-F945-4E8D-B4E9-9CFDC98DBE85.jpeg