Mjolnir

Show your Shop

8 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

And, I have one of those thread things on my wall, but with Tiger Thread. It's a color chart, with the actual thread... I know it looks like some cut-offs from some ancient Asian's beard, (think Pai Mei, from Kill Bill), but it's not.

Now I really don't want one, but do I need one?

I'm an addict. LOL!

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

Look what you started, @Mjolnir . Wow. This really should be a forum itself... the Show Your Shop forum.

-Ryan

Ok, here is my shop/s.

Drying rack, airbrushing station, dying station, sanding station. All out in the shop.

My box jig and bench with all my tools, thread, stamps, leather, stamping granite, cutting board. Pile o'fleece.

And I neglected to take a picture of the couch where I sit and make gravy. I've sewn 4 out of 6 days and I haven't been working on anything but my sewing. I don't know if my sewing is improving but I am certainly learning a lot about technique and awl holding, etc.

15 minutes ago, Rolandranch said:

Look what you started, @Mjolnir . Wow. This really should be a forum itself... the Show Your Shop forum.

-Ryan

I enjoy this thread every day.

11 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

20180112_192256-747x1328.jpg

20180112_192209-1328x747.jpg

20180112_192223-747x1328.jpg

20180112_192202-1328x747.jpg

20180112_191839-1328x747 (2).jpg

20180112_191808-1328x747 (2).jpg

20180112_191822-1328x747 (2).jpg

I was right. bicycle? respirator on a bungee? rainbow Swiffer? I like your tooling rack, thread lamp, and is that a knife block with skiving knives?

9 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Me too. It's given me some good ideas on how I can improve mine.

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

I was right. bicycle? respirator on a bungee? rainbow Swiffer? I like your tooling rack, thread lamp, and is that a knife block with skiving knives?

Yes to all. Those tooling racks are actually some of the meanest cardboard I've ever seen...packing parts for some bowflex equipment. The stuff is hard as wood so I drilled holes in it and drop stamps in them. Works ok but a temporary solution until I get off my butt and make a proper stamp rack. We go a new set of knives after 22 years so I repurposed the old block. I have an Old Hickory in there I'm going to reprofile and rehandle but that is totally for leather sharps. The bikes are just out of the way in the shed. The respirator is also out of the way there bu still handy when I fire up the airbrush. The rainbow swiffer....it was there when we moved in and I haven't touched it since. Guess I could toss it and use the nail to hang something.  The drying racks are usually for leather but I have some cloth I dyed using leather dye ( black and red) that I'm going to make some knife handles out of.

I should've tidied up.....

I love this thread too @Rolandranch. 'Twas a great idea @Mjolnir.

Battlemunkys shed looks nicer than some apartments I've lived in.    Probably bigger, and better smelling too...especially with leather there.

- Bill

lol, I didn't mention the spiders did I?

Battlemunky, in the first of the second set of photos, what's the 4x4 section with the two planks attached to it, and the pliers resting on top?

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Battlemunky, in the first of the second set of photos, what's the 4x4 section with the two planks attached to it, and the pliers resting on top?

My guess is it’s a box stitching jig

20 hours ago, YinTx said:

9tpi,  Does the magnetic holder impart any magnetism to your tools?  I must confess I like the idea of having tools neatly organized, in sight, and out of the workspace, which a magnet strip seems to do well.  But the thought of having my tools picking up any stray filings and leaving them on my veg tan when it's cased has me stuck.

YinTx

Yes im sure to some degree it magnetizes the steel tools. That being said there are no "filings" in my leather work area that would get drawn to the tools.

That being said if they SHOULD get magnetized id do have a demagnetizer at my disposal. 

12 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Forgive me., but did you scoop everything on your bench into that one box in the middle of your shelf for this pic? :)

I have that exact hammer. did yours rust?

also what's the thread thing on the wall? I also haven't seen a wood burner? like that.

Ha that box is where all my misfit tools live. Anything that has a weird shape, doodles, tools that wont stand up on their own etc. My space always looks this way unless i'm in the thick of it; i clean it after ever session. Hate a cluttered work surface.

I've had the hammer for a few years, no rust yet!

A mentioned the thing on the was is just a thread sample card.

The "burner" is a Regad 3000. Purpose built leather hot iron/creaser. Many different tips are available for different tasks. 

7 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

3 hours ago, garypl said:

My guess is it’s a box stitching jig

Bingo. I just made it yesterday. I have a bit of tweaking I need to do but the little bit of test running I've done with it (stitched about 2-3 inches) it has already paid for itself.

13 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Ok, here is my shop/s.

Drying rack, airbrushing station, dying station, sanding station. All out in the shop.

My box jig and bench with all my tools, thread, stamps, leather, stamping granite, cutting board. Pile o'fleece.

And I neglected to take a picture of the couch where I sit and make gravy. I've sewn 4 out of 6 days and I haven't been working on anything but my sewing. I don't know if my sewing is improving but I am certainly learning a lot about technique and awl holding, etc.

I have been just practicing gravy the last two nights. A sales lady at work has commissioned me to make her a messenger bag for measuring flooring.

We'll see how this goes....

Well, it’s good to see this thread (pun intended) flowing well & increasing with various and interesting contributions.

My original old work space (the closet page 4 I think) is thankfully redundant & my new self made bench is edging towards completition (for now at least).

i’ll echo @Mjolnir viewpoints on a great thread, long may it continue.

6 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Bingo. I just made it yesterday. I have a bit of tweaking I need to do but the little bit of test running I've done with it (stitched about 2-3 inches) it has already paid for itself.

I made the box stitching jig a while back and I took it apart to show you how I cut it up from a square piece of oak.

The piece of wood can be any length, the end of my piece was 3 inches square but if I was doing it again I would look for 4 inches.

E2551B44-88E2-4787-958F-8C81D7551EAE.jpeg

C8E1190D-DB86-4E00-8848-A35EDE941A7F.jpeg

This is our craft shop.  It's 14x18.  My wife does her cross stitching and I work on my leather craft and my weapons. 

CraftShop(1).jpg

1 hour ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

I made the box stitching jig a while back and I took it apart to show you how I cut it up from a square piece of oak.

The piece of wood can be any length, the end of my piece was 3 inches square but if I was doing it again I would look for 4 inches.

E2551B44-88E2-4787-958F-8C81D7551EAE.jpeg

C8E1190D-DB86-4E00-8848-A35EDE941A7F.jpeg

That looks like a fine jig.

1 hour ago, micktx said:

This is our craft shop.  It's 14x18.  My wife does her cross stitching and I work on my leather craft and my weapons. 

CraftShop(1).jpg

Did y'all spend all morning cleaning up? Nice shop.

A closer look at my work space, with my current project on the table. The chargers are for my electric drill and weedeater.  The work surface is a formica kitchen countertop. I salvaged it from a cupboard I rescued from my previous home in Bradford. The most amazing thing was it fitted the space available in front of the window with only a couple of millimeters gap on each side! You would have sworn it was cut to fit!

IMG_2350.JPG

Edited by Sheilajeanne

One day I may be able to dedicate a room to being a work shop but for now it's any flat surfaceI can find. I transfer all the needed tools for the current project to the smaller bag and it follows me around.

2018-01-14 14.35.48.jpg

12 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

A closer look at my work space, with my current project on the table. The chargers are for my electric drill and weedeater.  The work surface is a formica kitchen countertop. I salvaged it from a cupboard I rescued from my previous home in Bradford. The most amazing thing was it fitted the space available in front of the window with only a couple of millimeters gap on each side! You would have sworn it was cut to fit!

IMG_2350.JPG

nice tooling! line work is difficult. Tattooing, graphic design, or leather. I am a firm believer that if you can make what you visualized, then you have the talent to create anything. keep it up! The table top is synchronicity :)

Awww, that's just about the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me about my leatherwork!  :wub:

Thank you!

And please don't leave this board - we need people like you!

On 12/13/2017 at 4:08 PM, Mjolnir said:

In my case it's just a bench but I love my bench. It's in a corner of my greatroom. I like catching glimpses of workspaces. Please share yours too.

bench.jpg

Well, it's a lot better than putting scratches and dents in the wife's dining room table,  as I did.  LOL  Ended up getting her a new table.  From what I've seen of your work this bench does a great job for you.  Keep up the great work and very useful comments.

Edited by Northmount
removed double post