Mjolnir

Show your Shop

15 hours ago, AdamPCain said:

@Mjolnir let us know what you do with the test tubes. Make a leather holder for them and carry them around your waste and fill them up with your favorite liquor.

I've got nothing. Yard sale fodder.

Okay. I'm 64 years old. I've seen A $H!TLOAD of videos in my time, some of them still classified and totally amazing, and filmstrips before that. And likely cave dwelling art before that in my life. I have NEVER enjoyed a video more. That's a fact. I have a new hero. Anybody that climbed that chimney smoking a cigarette all the way up, THEN go to work taking it down, a block at a time, (whilst inventing the method of doing the same), and say he's basically lazy, well, I got nuthin. My "lazy" is quite refined, with decades of practice, and I am shamed. And did I mention FUNNY!?? His bit about pissing down the center, or over the edge, and all the surrounding fields thinking "it's rainen"..I lost it. The trophy wife thinks I'm nuts. (She would know, she might be right).

On March 10, 2018 at 4:12 PM, Mjolnir said:

I liked your test tubes Joseph. yep, so I went onto amazon and bought some test tubes, did I check how large a ML would be? No. I Just ordered the biggest! now I own some really cool gigantic test tubes that I do not have a purpose for!! LMBO!

20180310_170048_resized_1.jpg

They are big 

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Joseph1836 said:

They are big 

image.jpeg

LMBO! Those are the ones. I just don't have that may rivets yet!

PS Thanks for the ranch2arena.com site!

Just now, Mjolnir said:

that's one box. I order a box at a time to save shipping 

1 minute ago, Mjolnir said:

On 3/10/2018 at 5:31 PM, fredk said:

naw, its just shows that folk on here vary from business' like you to one person working on a old table in a spare room, storing their leather under their bed. Besides the art of leathercraft what we all have in common is the willingness to share information and help each other

:P  Reposting this, just for you!  

leather worker hiding stash.jpg

So, am now the proud owner of this machine: 

Thank you, Ferg! Will post a picture when I finally get it set up in my shop. It was great meeting you, your wife, and your Sheltie collies!  

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, alpha2 said:

Okay. I'm 64 years old. I've seen A $H!TLOAD of videos in my time, some of them still classified and totally amazing, and filmstrips before that. And likely cave dwelling art before that in my life. I have NEVER enjoyed a video more. That's a fact. I have a new hero. Anybody that climbed that chimney smoking a cigarette all the way up, THEN go to work taking it down, a block at a time, (whilst inventing the method of doing the same), and say he's basically lazy, well, I got nuthin. My "lazy" is quite refined, with decades of practice, and I am shamed. And did I mention FUNNY!?? His bit about pissing down the center, or over the edge, and all the surrounding fields thinking "it's rainen"..I lost it. The trophy wife thinks I'm nuts. (She would know, she might be right).

I agree... I have a new hero and I haven't watched nearly enough of the stuff on YouTube as I want to.... there is something to said for "lazy" people working more effectively. There was a work place productivity person who was asked how she got that way and she said.. "because I hate working but know I have to do it...so I find ways to do it well, once, and without wasting time or energy." I get that.

I can see why they called Fred a national treasure. and a humble man for sure...

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, KingsCountyLeather said:

This pic is from a few months ago. Have expanded a bit more since and it’s a lot more untidy! :huh:

888F5D0A-99F5-4E77-9F69-9C156597CDE1.jpeg

Back to the future.

12 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Back to the future.

And so, the wheel does a full circle...

That picture was taken when I first set up my work shop. I thought it looked good.

Here is the working version taken this morning. Doesn’t look as well, but it works for me. :)

CAC1C88A-A010-44E3-92AE-31D19A80B0ED.jpeg

AB171057-2879-4B33-A2DA-1F48C3F6076A.jpeg

28A37506-79FA-489A-A8AE-FDD902DD752E.jpeg

Hey Guys and Gals,

I couldn't help myself....I'm having dies made for, what I hope are, long term projects and felt the need to gear up for them. Bought the Dake 10 ton press last week at Grainger (great price!) and picked up this Kolbalt rolling tool cabinet tonight. I'll be able to store my dies in the cabinet...along with anything else needed for the press. A modest $550 investment so I will be able to, finally, click out pieces of my holster sets and guitar straps. I'll be investing more in dies this year so I'll need a place to store them as they come in.

20180314_215608.jpg

1 hour ago, MoRoadglide11 said:

Bought the Dake 10 ton press last week at Grainger (great price!)

I don’t believe I’ve ever heard the words “Grainger” and “Great Price” used in the same sentence....

Nice press though.

Updated my work area removed my weight machine since I needed room for a Juki 1541s. Also bought a Juki HZL-F400 for sewing linings and light fabrics.  I was forced to join a gym since I got rid of my weight machine, but the space I have is priceless.

20180401_211958_resized_1.jpg

Here's a before and after of my small work space it's amazing how it gets so messy in such a short time I'd love a bigger desk but imagine how messy I could make that :o)

VgihpMy.jpg

I will play! The old man that used to own this house had a saddle repair shop or a leather shop at some point in time. The tool box you see under the table is an antique tool box that I found in a shed that had multiple leather tools inside of it. You can imagine my excitement as I only had a very small amount of tools that I had purchased prior to moving here. I can post a pic of what was in it as soon as can find where the pic is on my computer. The tray on the left corner of my table sits inside the toolbox. I started with just using the toolbox and our dinner table. Well, I started acquiring more tools and it quickly outgrew the box and became a nuisance to pick up all my tools and current projects every night before dinner. So, hubby encouraged me to bring the table you see in the picture from stuff that the prior owner left in the back barn that is currently out of commission. It's a very solid wood table with a metal wrapped top. Perfect for hammering on as there is zero bounce. It's not as nice as some of the other setups that have been shown, but I am content with it for now. It allows me to keep an eye on my youngest kiddo while working. Besides, I loved watching the snow fall outside through all the big windows on the north end of my house, wood burning stove crackling to the right of me, and a glass of whiskey on the rocks. Not a bad work environment!

IMG_20180601_165449634.jpg

Updating. I added a backstop so I could move stuff from my benchtop and gain back working area. I need to get my lighting squared away. I have a clamp light and a desk lamp along with light from the windows but it ain't near enough. I moved all my thread up onto some PVC pipe and ran that along the span of the width of the bench.

20180818_135823-747x1328.jpg

Edited by battlemunky
had a problem with the pic loading

You crank out that great work from that little corner? I don't believe it!

Get an LED light bar from Lowes or Home Depot. I have one over my large table and another over my desk area, best lighting ever. They're long enough that they aren't directional. 

Jeff

Yep, now imagine if I could see! :P One day I'll actually make more than one nice thing in a row!

I really want an Ott Lite but The Ott family seems to be really proud of their stuff. I've watched a few reviews and it seems like phenomenal lighting though. I may have to get one of those LED light bars you mention and see how it goes. Chuck Dorset (with Weaver Leather Supply) has a video of a few of those aluminum bell clamp lights with some opaque diffusing material over them for stamping. Those can be had for about $20 so I may add them on with the LED light bar.

Here’s mine. 12x24 cabin repurposed for my leather shop.

still trying to figure out where to put everything. 

36A3E67F-3424-4B7F-9842-B5CA2089EFAA.jpeg

8D379EC7-C9AD-458E-A89A-13FF2B0A2C23.jpeg

40132103-1A99-4241-8836-2713D4437381.jpeg

2 hours ago, JKHelms said:

Here’s mine. 12x24 cabin repurposed for my leather shop.

36A3E67F-3424-4B7F-9842-B5CA2089EFAA.jpeg

8D379EC7-C9AD-458E-A89A-13FF2B0A2C23.jpeg

40132103-1A99-4241-8836-2713D4437381.jpeg

I wish my workshop was this neat!

Gary

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, battlemunky said:

I really want an Ott Lite but The Ott family seems to be really proud of their stuff. I've watched a few reviews and it seems like phenomenal lighting though. I may have to get one of those LED light bars you mention and see how it goes. Chuck Dorset (with Weaver Leather Supply) has a video of a few of those aluminum bell clamp lights with some opaque diffusing material over them for stamping. Those can be had for about $20 so I may add them on with the LED light bar.

battlemunky  if you have a JoAnn Fabric's and or a Michael's Store near you, you may want to sign up for their mailing lists.  I have seen Ott lights (various models and various price points) at both and sometimes they run a 50% off coupon.  Just have to read the fine print to see if it can be used for the light.  They have restricted more and more things that you can use the coupon on.   

Good to know, I think Mrs. Munky is on the list, I know I've seen Joann coupons before. Thanks for drawing my attention to it!

On 8/20/2018 at 4:07 PM, JKHelms said:

Here’s mine. 12 x 24 cabin re-purposed for my leather shop.

Did I miss the wood stove? Seems like one belongs in here...LOL