Mjolnir

Show your Shop

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, JKHelms said:

Here’s mine. 12x24 cabin repurposed for my leather shop.

still trying to figure out where to put everything. 

I dream of a 12x24 CABIN!!! to use as my shop...wow...and yup a nice little wood stove would be great in there.

New space is ready to start move in. Its taken longer than I wanted but then most things do. Have been working in a 7 x 12 space so this 20 x 20 will be nice upgrade. had to take a break to restore this vintage guitar case for a friend.

case.JPG

east.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

north west.JPG

north.JPG

south east.JPG

stamping, carving.JPG

west.JPG

wood top.JPG

sorry about the huge photos, not sure how that happened. the brown floor in the entry way was given to me by a guy in a Menards parking lot of all places. the large tile in the center was rescued from a scrap pile then cleaned the glue off the back and dry laid it in the studio. There wasn't enough tile so filled in the rest with osb board and painted it. the cabinets, stone and wood countertops were all recycled from a kitchen remodel. the door to the back storage room was rescued from my basement, the paneling was salvaged from a gun club project. This is a metal building and I could not get at all of the wall spaces so the wires and future plumbing piping runs in the overhead soffits. the window and door trims are cut from sheets of osb, corners routed off then painted. The stone countertops are 1 1/8 inch Cambria, if you could see it closer you would see where I had to recut it to use all of the finish edges. Could of done it a lot faster with new material but I hate to waste good product, so took the time to recycle the old. Anyway that my new leather studio, cleanest it will ever be.

Edited by cardinal leather
dropped copy

cardinal, two questions: what is the thing with the 6 round, black circles on it? And is someone in your family into sewing garments? (Looks like you have male and female busts for fitting.)

that's an old two needle union special surge machine. when the pedestal is set up it holds 6 spools of thread. bought it as a project machine. bought the mannequins from a guy in Texas this year while on vacation.  will use them for something along the way.

Very nice! I am envious of how much space you have!  I had to do some serious moving of furniture and books in order to fit a sewing machine into my Tiny Perfect Leather Working Station,  a room I share with my office desk, the washer and dryer  a large dog crate, and my library! Oh, and the trap door to the cellar also takes up a big piece of the floor...

Yeah, I thought the black things looked like spool holders. I just couldn't imagine a machine needing that many!  :lol:

Cardinal,

That is a fantastic work space!  You have put a tremendous amount of work into that, definitely something to be proud of and to enjoy thoroughly when using.  Looks better than a lot of apartments I have seen!  If you hadn't told me, I would have never have known it was a metal building.  That wood counter looks awesome.

YinTx

@cardinal leather that is a tremendous awesome space. Looks like you even have room for a cut table. Great job.

4 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Looks like you even have room for a cut table. Great job.

I agree with BM. I would have a melamine full sheet 8' x 4' cutting table in the middle of the floor, with lockable wheels so it can be rolled aside if required.

The space was planed for a cutting table, will install a 6 or 7 ft pool table with a cut top on it so that it can be removed. there is a space under counter for a beer I mean a leather fridge to keep cased items over night of course. I mean a guy cant work all the time, can he?

31 minutes ago, cardinal leather said:

space under counter for a beer I mean a leather fridge

Gotta keep things rolling along, and there's nothing better than a couple beers to help with that occasionally.

:yeah:

That does it ....I am definitely not showing off pics in my shop now. :wub:  Where is the drool emotion?????.

Ya more room than my house... drool.... now filler up!!!

Thanks guys, I have reviewed the photos of a good many of the shops on this site, I couldn't even list all of great ideas and solutions that were found to solve the problems encountered in small spaces, rental houses, barns and just about everywhere leatherworkers ply their trade. Mine came out like it did because of a layout by Valerie Michael in her book The Leatherworking  Handbook, copyright 1993. from review of her shop it was easy to see that it would fit the way that I work from left to right. I studied shops on line of leather workers all around and most of them large or small follow a similar course of layout. Then it was just a matter of finding the right spot for it. keeping in mind that I will sell the property some day and wanted any small business to be able to walk in the door and use it as a turnkey operation. It also helped that I've been a carpenter for 50 years and worked in and built other shops for other folks. So thanks many to this community for the great ideas and keep up the good work. Ummm, The next step is a small remodel to tweak a few things then finish the sewing/storage space and then I'm done, maybe.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:22 AM, RockyAussie said:

That does it ....I am definitely not showing off pics in my shop now. :wub:  Where is the drool emotion?????.

You have so many unique inventions of your own at work in your shop, you would have everyone green.  Share at will.

YinTx

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, YinTx said:

You have so many unique inventions of your own at work in your shop

I totally agree with @YinTx, but I would go so far as to say you have so many inventions, tools, foresight, so much leather and ability many people are envious of (me included).

@HardenGoods

Nice workshop. It might be different in real life, but from the pic, it appears you could do with a better light over your sewing machine. I see you have your helper beside you. All in all, a good set-up.

I'm guessing the shop is a bit brighter in real life! My shop assistant has that same Kong toy, I put a Milk-bone in it, keeps her busy for a while.

59 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

I'm guessing the shop is a bit brighter in real life! My shop assistant has that same Kong toy, I put a Milk-bone in it, keeps her busy for a while.

You got it - It totally is bright enough in person (photographer used a wide angle lens and some post effects). haha, my shop assistant seems to clean that kong out faster than I can fill it!

Well, it was a great picture, so you nailed it! Thanks!

What is the dogs name?

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

What is the dogs name?

:Lighten:Chewa-bagga?  Sorry, couldn't resist... :rolleyes2: