Mjolnir

Show your Shop

Here is my space.

Its small but the layout works for me and the kind of work i do.

FTMbTbB.jpg

9tpi,  Does the magnetic holder impart any magnetism to your tools?  I must confess I like the idea of having tools neatly organized, in sight, and out of the workspace, which a magnet strip seems to do well.  But the thought of having my tools picking up any stray filings and leaving them on my veg tan when it's cased has me stuck.

YinTx

I'd worry about that, too! Most metallic objects eventually do get magnetized to some degree by being in contact with a strong magnet.

I still have a knife I liberated from a local restaurant after I found it was able to lift another piece of cutlery up off the table because it was so strongly magnetized. I am guessing it must have fallen into the bottom of the dishwasher, and been magnetized by the electric motor!

2 hours ago, 9tpi said:

Here is my space.

FTMbTbB.jpg

My workbench / shop has never ever looked so neat!

Ok so I figured it was only fair I snap a shot of the clicker and its dies....so ....this really is the only other leather parts of my shop..

image.png

4 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Ok so I figured it was only fair I snap a shot of the clicker and its dies....so ....this really is the only other leather parts of my shop..

image.png

Hey Ross - how are all the wooden forms used?

Gary

35 minutes ago, garypl said:

Hey Ross - how are all the wooden forms used?

Gary

Gary they are a type of die set.   steel rule die set in a board you put the leather down then the die set and press the clicker press.  Then you have that shape cut out. I dont know much about die sets but I know there are all different types

Ross

Edited by Rossr

24 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Gary they are a type of die set.   steel rule die set in a board you put the leather down then the die set and press the clicker press.  Then you have that shape cut out. I dont know much about die sets but I know there are all different types

Ross

I guess I'm not certain what the wood is used for - I always thought clicker dies were just metal that you put on top of the leather.  Does the wood allow for more even pressure underneath the press?

Gary

30 minutes ago, garypl said:

I guess I'm not certain what the wood is used for - I always thought clicker dies were just metal that you put on top of the leather.  Does the wood allow for more even pressure underneath the press?

Gary

image.pngI got this  picture from google I have no affiliation with this company.  This is how these dies are.  Its a thin piece of steel set in a board. the steel is sharpened to a point.   The board holds the metal in place.   Hope that makes sense.   For what its worth I think the all steel ones are better and would hold up longer but that is just my opinion from having some of those around too

Ross

21 minutes ago, Rossr said:

image.pngI got this  picture from google I have no affiliation with this company.  This is how these dies are.  Its a thin piece of steel set in a board. the steel is sharpened to a point.   The board holds the metal in place.   Hope that makes sense.   For what its worth I think the all steel ones are better and would hold up longer but that is just my opinion from having some of those around too

Ross

Ross - that makes sense now - what confused me was the holes cut into the wood boards - I guess they are just to make it easier to grab the dies.

Thanks for the explanation!

Gary

13 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Looks like a nice cozy space! That space wouldn't work for me because those pelts on the wall would be calling me all day coaxing me to make something out of them. :lol:

my wife makes all the fur hats for our family, so we hang up the extra pelts on the wall until we need them

DSC00966.jpg.6fedea88d41090c61a69407fcd8ffa04.jpgDSC01029.jpg.fc544df869830ad4de69c67b1532f152.jpgDSC01048.jpg.b5918b154b05c452641eeb7fdde41f24.jpgDSC01081.jpg.20742c7f4b8082753f62a2f0edba838e.jpg

Edited by Jake907

46 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

my wife makes all the fur hats for our family, so we hang up the extra pelts on the wall until we need them

DSC00966.jpg.6fedea88d41090c61a69407fcd8ffa04.jpgDSC01029.jpg.fc544df869830ad4de69c67b1532f152.jpgDSC01048.jpg.b5918b154b05c452641eeb7fdde41f24.jpgDSC01081.jpg.20742c7f4b8082753f62a2f0edba838e.jpg

Those are some awesome hats! Did she make the beard, too? :lol:

I looked at your website. Pretty awesome stuff. Keep them coming!

If you were in Nashville, near there or even checked about shipping, there is a guy on craigs list that sells anvils and RR track cut to different lengths to function as anvils.  I contacted him a long time ago about getting one then forgot about, then went looking again, and he is still selling them just some FYI, I had one I brought with me from Cali then sold it now wish I had it DOH. 

I am not sure why the posting above is  posting now but oh well.

But what I was going to say is Jake you look real familiar to me, are you on one of those fellas on one of those Alaska shows?  or were you the guy sticking his head in the door and saying HERE'S JONNY?  Nice work on the trappers hat, so you do part and your wife do the other part? have you tried your hand at any Mukluks?  All the times I visited Alaska I always wanted to get a pair of Mukluks but never did!

11 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I am not sure why the posting above is  posting now but oh well.

But what I was going to say is Jake you look real familiar to me, are you on one of those fellas on one of those Alaska shows?  or were you the guy sticking his head in the door and saying HERE'S JONNY?  Nice work on the trappers hat, so you do part and your wife do the other part? have you tried your hand at any Mukluks?  All the times I visited Alaska I always wanted to get a pair of Mukluks but never did!

nope, never been on any of the unreality shows about Alaska, maybe you saw me in town or something when you were up here last. 

my wife makes the hats by herself, she dabbles in leather work with me, but is more interested in fur and wool, she loves to make felted items like they do in central Asia and Russia. And one of the things that she makes is felted boots, if you ever get a pair, you won't be interested in mukluks anymore. Her felted boots are just as good or better than any of the commercial mukluks, only the traditional mukluks that are made from seal skin are better. 

you should check them out on our wordpress page in my signature

I got my two sections of rail from a friend that is president of a steel erection company. They have gantries that run on rails. I suppose he had some left over pieces from the installation. Anyway, another place to try to get some rail pieces. 

Just now, alpha2 said:

I got my two sections of rail from a friend that is president of a steel erection company. They have gantries that run on rails. I suppose he had some left over pieces from the installation. Anyway, another place to try to get some rail pieces. 

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

interlude: I want to thank each and every one of you that have shared your shop on this thread. Thank you sew much! (pun intended). I am new-ish to this hobby and this site. During the past month I've made new friends, I hope. This holiday season was tough for me but you all helped me without knowing it. There is a lot of talent here. The small shops have given me ideas, the large shops have shown me what happens when the whole thing spirals out of control! Beauty can be created in a closet or a loft, a garage, a bedroom, a kitchen or a warehouse! Thanks.

P.S. Cleaning your shop may be a nice side effect, but the mess is the best!

Hey! A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind...even  more so for a leatherwork table. I'm sure of it.

I need to get pics up I suppose. I run a split operation. I have my tooling, cutting, non-smelly stuff inside the spare bedroom (which I share with my wife and her sewing operation) and the dye/glue, smelly/dusty stuff out in the shed.

I think it's super cool to see everyone's setup. So many ideas.

10 hours ago, 9tpi said:

Here is my space.

FTMbTbB.jpg

Forgive me., but did you scoop everything on your bench into that one box in the middle of your shelf for this pic? :)

I have that exact hammer. did yours rust?

also what's the thread thing on the wall? I also haven't seen a wood burner? like that.

When I grow up, I want to be a battlemunky. Whatever that is. I have to believe it would be a resume enhancer!

And, I have one of those thread things on my wall, but with Tiger Thread. It's a color chart, with the actual thread... I know it looks like some cut-offs from some ancient Asian's beard, (think Pai Mei, from Kill Bill), but it's not.

Edited by alpha2

32 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

interlude: I want to thank each and every one of you that have shared your shop on this thread. Thank you sew much! (pun intended). I am new-ish to this hobby and this site. During the past month I've made new friends, I hope. This holiday season was tough for me but you all helped me without knowing it. There is a lot of talent here. The small shops have given me ideas, the large shops have shown me what happens when the whole thing spirals out of control! Beauty can be created in a closet or a loft, a garage, a bedroom, a kitchen or a warehouse! Thanks.

P.S. Cleaning your shop may be a nice side effect, but the mess is the best!

I am pretty new also my small area I posted a couple pages back and after seeing all these shops I have been inspired to update my area. I also need to make room for a sewing machine and going to get a tool chest and new work table, will post pics when finished.

4 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I need to get pics up I suppose. I run a split operation. I have my tooling, cutting, non-smelly stuff inside the spare bedroom (which I share with my wife and her sewing operation) and the dye/glue, smelly/dusty stuff out in the shed.

I think it's super cool to see everyone's setup. So many ideas.

I'm betting that there is something in a battlemonky's shop I've never seen before.