Mjolnir

Show your Shop

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, MakerUnknown said:

This was the shop yesterday morning.  A non profit asked if they could hold a photoshoot for low income families of Oakland, CA.

Untitled_Panoramdfga1.jpg.5d02dcb1a4bfaa689fa246208802d67e.jpg

And this is how it looks this morning...for the moment.  I live and work in an old warehouse.  The living room, over by the windows also holds the hand woodworking tools.  I'm standing in outer parts of the kitchen that is where the car gets parked.  The woodworking machines live to the left, the big photo equipment is stored there as well until needed.  The space is never ever ever the same, it can be completely different in a matter of minutes.

The rolling cart in the foreground holds leather tools as well as cameras, lenses etc.

The line of wine bottles are from recent wine shoots...one of the perks is I have a never ending supply of free top of the line wine.

Untitled_Panorzxama1.jpg.d707071b37c26adf0c5a52fca70b15a2.jpg

That space.That light. This is a serious Highlander like loft (on the ground floor). Love the roll aways. Are they repurposed Islands or made?

So now I have shop envy :(

my study is full of my books, paints & gaming rig, so I have a shelf for my LW stuff & I use the dining table 

so here is my shelf

image1.jpeg

@Mjolnir.  Made them both.  #1 on the list of how I make money is through commercial photography.  #2 on the list is custom furniture so if it's wood in my place, then I made it.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

That space.That light. This is a serious Highlander like loft (on the ground floor). Love the roll aways. Are they repurposed Islands or made?

Oh man, that is so inviting. Wow, just gorgeous.  Great pic, I feel like I'm right there in the moment.  I  think the first thing  I would build would be  stage and wire it up with a PA and stage lighting.  Imagine the possibilities after that.

On 12/18/2017 at 11:27 AM, MakerUnknown said:

The line of wine bottles are from recent wine shoots...one of the perks is I have a never ending supply of free top of the line wine.

Untitled_Panorzxama1.jpg.d707071b37c26adf0c5a52fca70b15a2.jpg

You're killing me.  That just isn't right.  I'm sorry but you need to pick one and drop the other -- awesome living/work space or unlimited free top shelf wine, your pick.  My musician buddies and I used to say the same thing all the time about Vince Gill -- you can't both be a monster guitar player and have the voice of angel -- gotta pic one and drop the other.  lol

Edited by cseeger

On 12/19/2017 at 7:12 AM, DV8DUG said:

I'm loving this thread....

So did I miss the maid service? Everyone's shop is so 'clean' with the exception of Leathersmyth's and my own.

Show of hands... who cleaned up first before the pictures were taken? 

Ha! That is my place clean!!!   You should see it when i am in full production mode!!  :rolleyes:

I'm impressed at how everyone has everything set up! I get excited when I see new pics of other shop set ups. this is a real fun thread:rolleyes: 

15 hours ago, HaloJones said:

So now I have shop envy :(

my study is full of my books, paints & gaming rig, so I have a shelf for my LW stuff & I use the dining table 

so here is my shelf

image1.jpeg

LOL :lol: Don't worry about that, we all started out doing exactly what you are doing. I know I did for years :) I know a guy who works out of a pop up trailer, and he makes some great pieces and does some wonderful tooling.

I bet your work is really good despite the small space :) 

My wife has always said I shouldn't worry if mine was as big as others'... but... I could use bigger shop at this stage in my life.

AND I have natural light envy as well seeing MakerUnknowns space.... my dream shop will have south facing windows and if possible sky lights to get as much natural light in as possible.... and anything is better than my basement spaces.

True dat! Anything is better than basement spaces. I've had ENOUGH of that in my life. I've moved all my leatherwork stuff upstairs, with a BIG window, to get out of the basement. Life is good.

9 hours ago, plinkercases said:

My wife has always said I shouldn't worry if mine was as big as others 

/hug

lol

49 minutes ago, HaloJones said:

/hug

lol

Lol... I wanted to do that!!! I thought it wouldn’t go down well... :crazy:

I’m sure he’ll see the funny side? :rolleyes2:

3 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Well I assume that as he wrote the comment he has a GSOH

/fingers crossed :)

13 hours ago, plinkercases said:

My wife has always said I shouldn't worry if mine was as big as others'... but... I could use bigger shop at this stage in my life.

AND I have natural light envy as well seeing MakerUnknowns space.... my dream shop will have south facing windows and if possible sky lights to get as much natural light in as possible.... and anything is better than my basement spaces.

I don't have a basement. But I wanted to supply y'all with a bright side. No one upstairs wants to intrude on your basement space.

When my oldest son moved out (long story) my wife decided she was ready for a sewing room. She already has an art studio. I had to move quickly to get my leather studio up and running before she took over the space. It was very motivational.

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I had to move quickly to get my leather studio up and running before she took over the space. It was very motivational.

"motivational" is a very diplomatic word for it! I can identify. However, while when I am in the basement they don't come down they do all seem to decide they need to ask me something... loudly... from upstairs.

For a while Wednesday was "my night' when there were no commitments so I would go down there and work and do my laundry and shoot pellets gun while things dried... everyone new Wednesday was "Leather, laundry and lead night" for dad.... seem no there is no time any of these things...even laundry... but this too shall pass.

5 hours ago, HaloJones said:

Well I assume that as he wrote the comment he has a GSOH

/fingers crossed :)

5 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

6 hours ago, HaloJones said:

/hug

lol

Thanks folks... getting a little weepy now so I have to go back to work. Thanks... really... it means a lot.

WAIT!!! oh crap now I see what you might have thought I was referring to...wow... how embarrassing.... but still...thanks.....

1 hour ago, plinkercases said:

Thanks folks... getting a little weepy now so I have to go back to work. Thanks... really... it means a lot.

WAIT!!! oh crap now I see what you might have thought I was referring to...wow... how embarrassing.... but still...thanks.....

LOL !!! 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, Rossr said:

image.pngPart of my shop this is where I do my tooling work.  I occupy the basement

The pics have slowed down, but there is still so much to discuss here! More pics please! going back to the beginning of the thread I thought some pics deserve a little shout out. Look at all of these stamps! And I'm pretty sure my 2nd grade principal bent me over that very desk for a paddlin'! ( Mrs. Montgomery, I still swear I didn't do it.)

Is that a slab of granite on its top?

So, come up to the lab
And see what's on the slab,

4 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

The pics have slowed down, but there is still so much to discuss here! More pics please! going back to the beginning of the thread I thought some pics deserve a little shout out. Look at all of these stamps! And I'm pretty sure my 2nd grade principal bent me over that very desk for a paddlin'! ( Mrs. Montgomery, I still swear I didn't do it.)

Is that a slab of granite on its top?

That is a good question,  I don't really know what it is.   It kinda reminds me of the desk tops in the chemistry lab but its grey not black. I was able to cut it with an abrasive blade in a circular saw. .....Still deciding if I like it for tooling.  I used to have a hunk of granite that was a cut out from  a sink but I like it being the whole way across the desk.  Worse case I may do a full piece of granite down the road if this does not work out and budget allows.

Btw before anyone thinks those are all new stamps and I am wealthy.  The reality is craigslist and ebay has been good to me....or I spend way to much time looking for deals...you can decide lol!

The center part where most of the stamps are has three wood blocks made at home and most of the holes were labeled with a label maker with  the stamp numbers,  I got them on a craigslist buy. I have been slowly filling in all the stamps over the past few years.  I am down to about 40 I need to finish the numbers that are there.......Not that I need all them but its kinda a dream now!!  Im guessing they used to all be there but not all where there when I bought it.

Yep that desk has been around.  The wooden one of the left is old too all wood except the top is formica...picked that up at auction for a $1.   its great!

Ross

Edited by Rossr

Ok so here is  most of the rest of the shop, debated posting it...but all you folks have shown your areas....so why not. Sorry the photos arent great they were just quick pics with the phone.

Always looking for ways to improve the shop and all these pics have great concepts and ideas we can all learn from for sure!  Thanks all

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Rossr

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

Ok so here is  most of the rest of the shop, debated posting it...but all you folks have shown your areas....so why not. Sorry the photos arent great they were just quick pics with the phone.

Always looking for ways to improve the shop and all these pics have great concepts and ideas we can all learn from for sure!  Thanks all

image.png

image.png

image.png

Wow! You have a lot of pressy, splitty, punchy things in your shop. And a lot of leather. Good job accumulating and acquiring.

14 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Wow! You have a lot of pressy, splitty, punchy things in your shop. And a lot of leather. Good job accumulating and acquiring.

While the stamps have been a lot of looking and some luck on craigslist ebay.....the bulk of the pressy splitty punchy things were due to a shop I purchased a few years back.   otherwise.  I would have mostly just the couple desks and the hand stamps :)

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

As I looked at the first couple pictures, I was thinking "Pretty nice set-up", and then I saw your stitcher, Landis 3 or Randall?  Couldn't tell.  But super sweet!  I'm in the process of putting up some slatwall in my new shop, and am really looking forward to being able to hang something wherever I want.  Handy stuff.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery