Mjolnir

Show your Shop

west view- Cowboy 3200...also a student woodworking bench I bought at an auction 25 years ago. use that for pounding on.

shop_west_view.jpg

11 hours ago, eglideride said:

OK- I will share some pictures of my shop- 0ne of four

carving bench 12 17.jpg

Well, it looks like I need to resize some photos - more later

Great layout to your shop. Plenty of room to work in.

Stitching clam, haven’t seen one like it before. Did you make it?

3 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Great layout to your shop. Plenty of room to work in.

Stitching clam, haven’t seen one like it before. Did you make it?

Thanks!

The clam is an antique I picked up 2 years ago. Has a cool "cam" lever on the side for opening and closing. Works very well for its age! Has a hole in the bottom- I suspect it was mounted on a "horse" sometime earlier in its history. I have only seen one other for sale over the years....I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough this time. 

Fantastic showing by all! Also a very humbling experience LOL! I don't think I've ever seen so many leather stitching machines! I'm going to have to clean up my work area and show more current pictures! I like to keep everything at arms length reach as well next on my list of things is a roller stool, I don't think I'll ever have one of those super fancy sewing machines though so I've fabricated a couple of sewing clamps which I'll show as well. 

Edited by Sanch

2 hours ago, eglideride said:

Thanks!

The clam is an antique I picked up 2 years ago. Has a cool "cam" lever on the side for opening and closing. Works very well for its age! Has a hole in the bottom- I suspect it was mounted on a "horse" sometime earlier in its history. I have only seen one other for sale over the years....I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough this time. 

Can we see the cam please?

You all have some really nice work spaces.  My leather working tools are in my wood working shop in 2 cardboard boxes right now.  Actually one of the boxes is my "leather storage space", the other one has my leather tools.  Not much to take a picture of.

1 hour ago, plinkercases said:

Stitching clam close up.jpg

1 hour ago, plinkercases said:

stitching_clam_open__resized.jpg

That is a tool-shaped piece of art. Its a beautiful thing!

ok, I've finally worked up the courage...I'm gonna show you all my "workshop". I get to occupy the kitchen table (usually) but I can go anywhere, thats the good part. The bad part is I don't have storage and a dedicated working area. I also have two rubbermaid totes that I keep some supplies in, and my rolls of leather are kept in another corner of the house. DSCN3822.thumb.jpg.3b1538d1cbb89612ac3c943c30d5f8ad.jpg

I somehow manage to get the basics done with these few tools, and almost everything fits in the range bag to the left, music and copenhagen are what keeps me going though, lol

18 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

ok, I've finally worked up the courage...I'm gonna show you all my "workshop". I get to occupy the kitchen table (usually) but I can go anywhere, thats the good part. The bad part is I don't have storage and a dedicated working area. I also have two rubbermaid totes that I keep some supplies in, and my rolls of leather are kept in another corner of the house. DSCN3822.thumb.jpg.3b1538d1cbb89612ac3c943c30d5f8ad.jpg

I somehow manage to get the basics done with these few tools, and almost everything fits in the range bag to the left, music and copenhagen are what keeps me going though, lol

Love the railroad track anvil. I have one similar that is over 30 years old...wouldn't trade it for anything. ( I miss Copenhagen- quit  about 5 years ago...<sigh>)

33 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

That is a tool-shaped piece of art. Its a beautiful thing!

Yes it is! about 30 inches tall. Would love to know who had it and where it came from. Love old tools. 

@eglideride yes, the railroad track anvil is the best, I drilled and pressed one of those little snap setting dies in the top, works like a charm. 

Okay so I've already posted it but I want to post again this time I will show pictures of my two fancy sewing machines! Lol! They are neither stitching ponies nor traditional clamps!20171225_153223_resized.jpg.6dbb3e1328a1acea1f768468060800e6.jpg20171225_151342_resized.jpg.c178e920993e6248d8f9589af932f3d4.jpg20171225_151152_resized.jpg.a67aa7d4401cef2670ce41a2e1ef3830.jpg

23 minutes ago, Sanch said:

Okay so I've already posted it but I want to post again this time I will show pictures of my two fancy sewing machines! Lol! They are neither stitching ponies nor traditional clamps!20171225_153223_resized.jpg.6dbb3e1328a1acea1f768468060800e6.jpg20171225_151342_resized.jpg.c178e920993e6248d8f9589af932f3d4.jpg20171225_151152_resized.jpg.a67aa7d4401cef2670ce41a2e1ef3830.jpg

They’re great looking clam’s.

This is my set up when I’m stitching bigger items.

0BBCF786-2252-48E5-AA73-16DB1A87B375.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Sanch said:

I did notice these Sanch. very cool what was repurposed here?

29 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

@eglideride yes, the railroad track anvil is the best, I drilled and pressed one of those little snap setting dies in the top, works like a charm. 

Is there anywhere you can get a railroad track anvil or is it just luck?

Edited by Mjolnir
typo

@Mjolnir if you ask around your area, you should be able to find a small piece of railroad track thats been ripped up, then all you have to do is slice off a chunk with a metal bandsaw, and voila! a little grinding, a little polishing, you have a mini anvil

7 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

I did notice these Sanch. very cool what was repurposed here?

Is there anywhere you can get a railroad track anvil or is it just luck?

Every bit of both of the clamps is repurposed! As you can see the larger of the two has a Harley-Davidson Sportster seat on it.

2 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

@Mjolnir if you ask around your area, you should be able to find a small piece of railroad track thats been ripped up, then all you have to do is slice off a chunk with a metal bandsaw, and voila! a little grinding, a little polishing, you have a mini anvil

I would be careful about acquiring railroad track as it is a federal offense! One of my co-workers gave me a piece that is approximately 18 to 20 in long. I may have to find a way to cut some chunks off of it!

I don't know what you mean, its just a piece of steel that happens to look like RR track. something I found while hiking :-)

it's funny how many 'RR track shaped anvils are on ebay'! Every kid in the seventies found metal signs while hiking. Some said 'Stop' or 'One Way'. ;)

Thank you, it was a lot of work over about 4 days but it turned out pretty nice, most of the wood was scrap I had in my garage from other projects, got lucky with the holes lining up for the all thread.

@Sanch You haven't told us about that nifty looking little tool thats clamped next to the bench mounted stitching pony

8 hours ago, Jake907 said:

@Sanch You haven't told us about that nifty looking little tool thats clamped next to the bench mounted stitching pony

I cloned a lace cutter from all thread, square tubing for the clamping part, 1 inch diameter stainless steel and Brass for the tightening device. Oh yeah the collar is Delrin with a set screw..

If you were in Nashville, near there or even checked about shipping, there is a guy on craigs list that sells anvils and RR track cut to different lengths to function as anvils.  I contacted him a long time ago about getting one then forgot about, then went looking again, and he is still selling them just some FYI, I had one I brought with me from Cali then sold it now wish I had it DOH. 

The older I get the more I appreciate small towns. Mine, like many others has Main St., there you will find the nicer houses. One in particular recently had an addition. Behind this White Victorian a little log cabin popped up almost over night, chimney and all. Again because its a small town I know its a work shop because church going lady's know everything, and they knew about it a month before I noticed it. I think I should stop by tomorrow and see If I can get a peek. honestly I don't care what is inside. Everyday I drive by and my heart skips a beat.

Another thought I'm having is how many deer, and other animals are being hunted practically in my back yard. I can't find anyone who cures the leather. They keep the rack, eat the stew, and toss the skin!

2 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

If you were in Nashville, near there or even checked about shipping, there is a guy on craigs list that sells anvils and RR track cut to different lengths to function as anvils.  I contacted him a long time ago about getting one then forgot about, then went looking again, and he is still selling them just some FYI, I had one I brought with me from Cali then sold it now wish I had it DOH. 

Not that I need one but I do want one. I'm on a mission of one new toy a month. These shop photos have givin me the itch. Half of this hobby is an addiction to collecting, is it not?

4 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Half of this hobby is an addiction to collecting, is it not?

Yes, sooner or later we all seem to get bitten by that bug.  What starts out as a means to an end (needing a specific machine or tool to do  job) eventually becomes an obsession to acquire an entire set of every style of vintage edger, or all of the stamping tools by a specific maker, or a complete line of obsolete stitchers of a particular brand, or one (or two or three) or every style of leather splitter, and on and on it goes.  But I always tell myself there are worse things I could be spending money on.