Danne

Question regarding leather conditioner.

I have asked this question on Reddit leatherwork without luck, so i try here instead. 

I use both vegetable tanned leather and chrome tanned leather. What conditioner do I need?

Right now i'm using Sedgwick leather care for vegetable tanned leather, but with bad results. After applying and drying i buff the leather with a dry soft cloth. But after a short period brown and black leather becomes "white" in the bottom of the grain. And i have to clean it again (with saddle soap) and after that the finish is nice. But i would like some protection.

I plan on buying Saphir renovateur and a horse hair brush for my chrome tanned leather, does it also work on vegetable tanned leather?

So question 1. What am i doing wrong with Sedgwick? and 2. Can i use Renovateur for both chrome tanned and vegetable tanned leather. and just clean with a slighty damp sponge before?

There is no need to look any further than Skidmore's for a conditioner.  I'd write a testimonial, but once you use it. you'll love it. I buy it by th ecase, use it by the gallon, and give it away with every new saddle purchase.

1 hour ago, cowboycolonel said:

There is no need to look any further than Skidmore's for a conditioner.  I'd write a testimonial, but once you use it. you'll love it. I buy it by th ecase, use it by the gallon, and give it away with every new saddle purchase.

Thank you, do they have resellers in Europe?

You can call them direct, and I'm certain they'd send you some. Toll Free in the US 800-785-2466 and they're on the Pacific coast. or go to www.skidmores.com

Tandy Leather also carry a great new product line for leather restoration and conditioning.

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/dr-jackson-s-hide-rejuvenator

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/dr-jackson-s-leather-conditioner-8-oz

They used to carry the Lexol line, but have moved on, to this product.

Chas

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I really like the "Aussie" product that Fiebings makes, it also works very well for waterproofing. 

On 12/16/2017 at 5:28 PM, ChasCS said:

Tandy Leather also carry a great new product line for leather restoration and conditioning.

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/dr-jackson-s-hide-rejuvenator

https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/dr-jackson-s-leather-conditioner-8-oz

They used to carry the Lexol line, but have moved on, to this product.

Chas

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I used this stuff IMHO its no good. It was given to me at the Tandy Leather to try out as a Lexol replacement, Lexol is by far and wide better in my opinion.  I have yet to try the Skidmores. Montana Pitch Blend is my go to.  And I think is similar to the Skidmores but could bre wrong. 

Edited by Sanch

53 minutes ago, Sanch said:

I used this stuff IMHO its no good. It was given to me at the Tandy Leather to try out as a Lexol replacement, Lexol is by far and wide better in my opinion.  I have yet to try the Skidmores. Montana Pitch Blend is my go to.  And I think is similar to the Skidmores but could bre wrong. 

It was only introduced to me by the local Tandy store manager... Haven't actually purchased any of it. Thanks for the heads up. I still have both of my wonderful Lexol products and am very happy with its quality. ;-)

All Natural Montana Pitch-Blend? "Water Repellent Leather Dressing" A unique blend of pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax created by a Montana wilderness guide to provide maximum protection.  For best results: Apply liberally with hand or soft cloth. Melt in with hairdryer. Repeat with second coat. Re-apply as necessary. Not for use on sued or fine leather. May cause darkening.

I never thought I would ever see that product name again. Is it readily available today? I already have a full 4 OZ. tub of that great product as well. Never finished my first one yet... But that stuff was probably purchased 25 years ago, to water proof hunting boots, or my outdoor leather archery gear. How are you using it to renorish replentish your leather?  A little goes a long way...

There's something about mink oil, that has always appealed to me. Same goes for Pine Pitch. And bees knees... Is anything produced by those busy little drones. I just bought my fifth 15 kg pail of Bee Maid Canada #1 unpasteurized creamed honey... Love that delicious taste. ;-)

Chas

I use skidmore and I have never had a problem with it on anything from by end boots or vegtan straps.  

I introduced the New York Yankees to the stuff and they now use it on gloves, shoes - anything leather.  One coach even bought a case to use to restore vintage leather upholstery.  Can't get a better endorsement than that!!

2 hours ago, ChasCS said:

It was only introduced to me by the local Tandy store manager... Haven't actually purchased any of it. Thanks for the heads up. I still have both of my wonderful Lexol products and am very happy with its quality. ;-)

All Natural Montana Pitch-Blend? "Water Repellent Leather Dressing" A unique blend of pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax created by a Montana wilderness guide to provide maximum protection.  For best results: Apply liberally with hand or soft cloth. Melt in with hairdryer. Repeat with second coat. Re-apply as necessary. Not for use on sued or fine leather. May cause darkening.

I never thought I would ever see that product name again. Is it readily available today? I already have a full 4 OZ. tub of that great product as well. Never finished my first one yet... But that stuff was probably purchased 25 years ago, to water proof hunting boots, or my outdoor leather archery gear. How are you using it to renorish replentish your leather?  A little goes a long way...

There's something about mink oil, that has always appealed to me. Same goes for Pine Pitch. And bees knees... Is anything produced by those busy little drones. I just bought my fifth 15 kg pail of Bee Maid Canada #1 unpasteurized creamed honey... Love that delicious taste. ;-)

Chas

Added Fiebings mink oil to a half tub of the Montana Pitch Blend made more of a mink oil based paste/cream still has the bees wax and some pitch but more oil than the other 2 ingredients.  It works well for me no complaints.   

1 hour ago, Sanch said:

Added Fiebings mink oil to a half tub of the Montana Pitch Blend made more of a mink oil based paste/cream still has the bees wax and some pitch but more oil than the other 2 ingredients.  It works well for me no complaints.   

I love learning how products we already use, can be turned up a notch. That's an interesting mix you have going. 

Mink oil has a few interesting properties. One being it doesn't go rancid like many food grade oil 's eventually will.

Does your blend darken a light colored leather very much? Is it applied by hand or cloth?

Chas

1 hour ago, ChasCS said:

I love learning how products we already use, can be turned up a notch. That's an interesting mix you have going. 

Mink oil has a few interesting properties. One being it doesn't go rancid like many food grade oil 's eventually will.

Does your blend darken a light colored leather very much? Is it applied by hand or cloth?

Chas

Yes it does dark in the leather a little and can be applied by either hand or buy cloth

1 hour ago, Sanch said:

Yes it does dark in the leather a little and can be applied by either hand or buy cloth

I might have to try a small batch and see how I like it. 

Chas

Still looking for some answers here.

Hey Danne,

Know his is an old topic and you may have figured out your answer by now but I hope this helps.

1 issue I have with the Sedgwick leather care is the residue. I found if you clean first with Leather Amore by Bee Natural or even something like a castile soap first it tends to absorb better especially on bridle leather.  Also work in well with your fingers into the leather and then wipe excess away after you feel like it has absorbed what it is going to absorb and then wipe away the residue right away with a very slightly damp cloth.  Try rubbing the conditioner between your fingers to warm it up and I don't seem to apply too much of the Sedgwicks when I do that. I am going to experiment with making my own cream similar to sedgwicks this week with tallow, lard, cod liver oil and beeswax. I'll let you know how that turns out b/c I want to love Sedgwicks but just have trouble getting it right, but if I clean first, warm in hands, don't use too much, and wipe off excess right away then it works pretty well. With Bridle Leather it is important to use something like Sedgwicks to restore the fats lost in tanning and with wear.  I don't use oil except a smidge of Cod liver oil on bridle leather, but the fats are the most important thing you want to continue to put back into the leather. 

I do like the softening effect it has on bridle leather but if it is just regular veg tanned leather it seems to just end up gumming up the leather if that makes sense and makes it feel heavy.  The shine you get from buffing the leather after applying sedgwicks is not the best either. I sometimes use Sedgwicks and then actually use a conditioner by Higher Standards that gives a little nicer glow to the leather. I think a lot of the other recommendations above are better for vegetable tanned leathers that have not been stuffed with greases and waxes like bridle leather has after the vegetable tanning process. 

Saphir is really great for Chrome tanned but I don't love it on the veg tanned stuff as much. Stick with Saphir in my book. 

Asking this question is like saying I like colors, which color should be my favorite. There are hundreds of leather conditioners and we all have our favorites and I'm sure most of them are fantastic.

I use Obenauf's LP, buy it by the gallon bucket.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:31 AM, Danne said:

brown and black leather becomes "white" in the bottom of the grain

That appears to be wax.  Warm up the leather, work it in, and buff well to remove the excess.  Note studawg03 comment above to wipe away the residue when the leather appears to have absorbed as much as it is going to.

There are other posts that address this problem if you want to search for them.  Look for "spew".

Tom