PJCustomLeather

How do I do this carving coloring?

This is some beautiful carving and coloring! I would like to get an idea on how it was done. The coloring is very chrisp and pretty is this just experience of is it the method? Also what are the steps to coloring like this? It seams line they used antique paste but not for the background coloring only the carving. Please help me figure this out!

Payton

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.25.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.26.38 AM.png

It looks like the carver would have used a resist on the carved areas, then dyed the background using a very fine brush. The final step would have been to apply an antique, and rub it off to highlight the carving, followed by a finishing coat of something like Super Sheen or an equivalent top coat.

Whoever did this belt is a highly skilled artist, and what they have done here takes talent, experience, and lots of patience and time. The carving is excellent and the stitching along the edges is flawless. 

I recently completed my first hand-tooled belt, so I know from experience just how hard it is to dye the background and not get anything on the carving!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

To be this exact and never miss with the resist or dye takes a great deal of talent.

On 12/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Whoever did this belt is a highly skilled artist, and what they have done here takes talent, experience, and lots of patience and time. The carving is excellent and the stitching along the edges is flawless. 

I agree. Also remember that a true master will know how to hide their mistakes. Mostly though they don't make mistakes because they know how to adapt their speed/tools/dye to the piece they're working on.
The above is most likely a product of all three. 
Also remember that other people don't see the same thing as you the maker sees it. I've been told on numerous occasions -by the customer- that my stuff is 'sooo great' and 'a masterpiece' while I really just wanted to bin it and start over. While I didn't agree with them I do know that the customer is King, or Queen, and they get what they want. Though I have on occasion remade the item 'as it should have been done' just for myself to prove that I can do it 'right'...but then my better half tells me to stop acting silly and that's that...

As soon as I saw the question I was thinking about Don Gonzales video about this.  I did a wallet using his technique and I believe it was dark brown stain, tan coat everything, antique paste, tan coat to clean off excess... It worked great!  I agree, it looks amazing!  Cheers

Scott