Sign in to follow this  
Fire88

First attempt at drawing

So here's my first attempt at drawing a floral design. Please critique. 

IMG_2742.JPG

Edited by Fire88
Photo added

Since no one has responded, and I would imagine that you'd like to move on, I'll give you some suggestions.  First, your design always comes back to the center because your stems and leaves are not flowing as you would find them in nature.  Flowers grow from a source, and the stems and leaves move from that source.  Your drawing starts with the center flower growing out of thin air.  There's no source for the flower; thus, your stems flow from the flower.  Start your stems from a lower corner and grow from there.  Eventually ending with the center flower as your focal point and finale.  There's more to recommend with your drawing, but first things first.

Good Luck, Ron

The stem (or stems) are too thick for this design. If  you are going for a naturalistic look, they are way too thick. If  you are going for a more abstract look, then the flowers and leaves are wrong for that (since they are trying to be naturalistic.)
So what you have there is two clashing design philosophies.
Also, I think you tried to do flower buds, but they look like leaves unless you look at them very carefully. Again, it's a question of abstract or realistic. 
Your composition isn't bad here, but I think you have a lot more open space (especially on the left side) than most floral carving tends to have, so it looks "unfinished."
Flowers are surprisingly difficult to do! That must be why I myself don't really do floral designs. (I've tried it only once, as a panel for a pair of decorated fencing gloves.)

5 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

Since no one has responded, and I would imagine that you'd like to move on, I'll give you some suggestions.  First, your design always comes back to the center because your stems and leaves are not flowing as you would find them in nature.  Flowers grow from a source, and the stems and leaves move from that source.  Your drawing starts with the center flower growing out of thin air.  There's no source for the flower; thus, your stems flow from the flower.  Start your stems from a lower corner and grow from there.  Eventually ending with the center flower as your focal point and finale.  There's more to recommend with your drawing, but first things first.

Good Luck, Ron

Thank you for the tips and I will keep working on my drawing/design layouts.

2 hours ago, DJole said:

The stem (or stems) are too thick for this design. If  you are going for a naturalistic look, they are way too thick. If  you are going for a more abstract look, then the flowers and leaves are wrong for that (since they are trying to be naturalistic.)
So what you have there is two clashing design philosophies.
Also, I think you tried to do flower buds, but they look like leaves unless you look at them very carefully. Again, it's a question of abstract or realistic. 
Your composition isn't bad here, but I think you have a lot more open space (especially on the left side) than most floral carving tends to have, so it looks "unfinished."
Flowers are surprisingly difficult to do! That must be why I myself don't really do floral designs. (I've tried it only once, as a panel for a pair of decorated fencing gloves.)

Thank you for the help, I’m definitely no artist but I’m trying to be.