I'm just wondering what everyone is charging for rifle slings.  I've never made one but am getting some requests for estimates.  I'd like some insight ranging from a simple, single thickness, plain strap to a lined and stamped one.  I know there are a lot of variables when stamping, so show me some examples of your work and what is a fair price.  Also, looking for input from people who are making them to realize a profit, AFTER getting paid for time and materials.  Gifts are great, but there are no hunters in my family for which to make one as a gift, and I don't make near enough money to gift them to customers!  I know I could make up a sample one to see how much material and time I get into one, but right now I don't have the time to make up a sample just to find out it's going to take more time/material than I can get back out of it.  No sense in looking at retail prices at Scheels, etc, because they're mostly overpriced junk.  Thank you very much to all who reply!

Hello Sioux! 

A few weeks ago there was a conversation about sling prices. If I did it right there should be a link to it below. As noted on it, I charge $30 or $40 for a plain simple single strap if I'm providing the sling swivels (+/- $10 depending on where you get them). For one that is lined, stitched and/or tooled l I'd tack on another $50 to $75 depending on how detailed and full it was tooled. This would put the total cost at somewhere between $80 and $105. The other commentator said he sold tooled his for $90 which included some tooling and fully stitched. So he and I are in the same ballpark.

Good luck if you add them to your line up!

Josh

Thank you very much Josh, I appreciate the time you took to reply.  It certainly gives me a base from which to start. 

I don't want to rob this thread, but have a similar question, Josh you have some very nice holster work, mind sharing what you would get for a gun belt and holster western style or anyone else that can chime in.

thanks

2 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I don't want to rob this thread, but have a similar question, Josh you have some very nice holster work, mind sharing what you would get for a gun belt and holster western style or anyone else that can chime in.

thanks

Don't worry about robbing the thread, good information is beneficial to all!

Hey Oldnslow! I have 3 main levels of "western" rigs. The descriptions and pricing work out roughly like this;

1) plain = $150 includes an unlined 2-3/4" cartridge belt with 12 bullet loops, unlined "Threepersons" type holster (trigger can be covered or not, mostly in regards to how the belt loop is built), no tooling, dyed to color of choice, stainless or brass buckle, 10/11 HO leather throughout, except bullet loops which are 5/6 HO.

2) medium = $250 includes above except border tooled, unlined Mexican Loop or "Half-Breed" style holster and 18 bullet loops. 

3) fancy = $350 includes above except full tooled/carved, spots, conchos.

Most rigs fall somewhere in between these 3 main levels and I 'll average to where they fit best. 

I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this. I've tried to get my prices high enough to pay a little for my time, weed out those looking for a cheap buy and still provide a lot of value to my customers. I'd be interested to know if I'm in the same ballpark as others, or if I'm out by myself. 

Take care folks! 

Josh, your prices appear very reasonable to me!

Gary

Josh is that like a Buscadero type belt that uses more leather or is it along the line of an 1 1/2, and sorry for asking as I don't recall the last rig other than it was great looking. And my reasoning for asking is I am in the end stages of my first, it is a double buscadero belt with both holsters undyed only oiled.  When I first thought it out I based it on my regular pricing 70.00 per holster and 60.00 for a single belt all unlined at first.  Now I have lined the holsters but let me add that this is going to be hanging up for display, so I lined the holsters with some goat skin and lined the 10 oz Wickett and craig and the belt that is about 3 belts worth of leather with a 3 oz liner.  In my minds eye I can see where it should have been closer to 300.00 if not more, give me food for thought please. 

I sold both of these for $60 a piece.  Single layer, no stitching, no swivels.  Just the Chicago screws and a sewn leather keeper.  Just keep in mind that you need a 44" strip of leather, so it would not be cost effective to make them out of Horween or one of the other top dollar sides.

Buck Deer 1.jpg

John Deere 6.jpg

Edited by cjartist
clarification

16 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Josh is that like a Buscadero type belt that uses more leather or is it along the line of an 1 1/2, and sorry for asking as I don't recall the last rig other than it was great looking. And my reasoning for asking is I am in the end stages of my first, it is a double buscadero belt with both holsters undyed only oiled.  When I first thought it out I based it on my regular pricing 70.00 per holster and 60.00 for a single belt all unlined at first.  Now I have lined the holsters but let me add that this is going to be hanging up for display, so I lined the holsters with some goat skin and lined the 10 oz Wickett and craig and the belt that is about 3 belts worth of leather with a 3 oz liner.  In my minds eye I can see where it should have been closer to 300.00 if not more, give me food for thought please. 

The pricing for those is with a 2-3/4" straight cartridge belt with 1-1/2" billet and tongue. I rarely get requests for buscadero belts but when I have it's coincided with me getting a new side and I've been able to cut the top of the belt straight with the drops going up to the backbone. That way I end up with a true straight cut on the rest of the hide and don't waste a lot of prime material. Sounds to me like $300 wouldn't be out of line for the rig your describing. 

Have a great day folks! 

Thanks for the reply, that is not what I charged I think I did mention that, but after taking inventory of what is being done my thought was that I did not charge enough, live and learn the hard way, so long as I don't make that mistake again!! And to add this was not a straight cut but a curved cut down to the back bone along with a double billet, so I have learned a lesson from this, now if people would be will to pay the price.