What are comparable machines to the Adler 669?

Edited by steadybrook
wrong spelling

That depends on what features you care about.

The Juki DSU-145 or Juki DSU-245 may be candidates with similar capabilities and price point. 

dsc2457.jpg

Pfaff 335 is the old school standard bearer for small diameter cylinder arm machines. 

Head335einfasser_800px.jpg

The 669 is a new generation of this design.  It has a longer throat of 13" vs. 10.5", foot lift of 20mm vs. 13mm, and max stitch length of 9mm vs. 6mm.  I am getting this machine in 201.  More money but way more features that are for the better.

Juki's new generation only has the 2341 which is like the 869.  They do not make a narrow arm machine in this new generation.  Pfaff made one for a while like the 669 in their Powerline series but later dropped it.

Weaver Leither has the heads in stock in the ergo series.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Thanks, that is what I need.how much and where are you buying it from?

Weaver Leather sells it wholesale  ( sales tax license needed) about $3800.00

On 12/20/2017 at 12:57 PM, shoepatcher said:

The 669 is a new generation of this design.  It has a longer throat of 13" vs. 10.5", foot lift of 20mm vs. 13mm, and max stitch length of 9mm vs. 6mm.  I am getting this machine in 201.  More money but way more features that are for the better.

Juki's new generation only has the 2341 which is like the 869.  They do not make a narrow arm machine in this new generation.  Pfaff made one for a while like the 669 in their Powerline series but later dropped it.

Weaver Leither has the heads in stock in the ergo series.

glenn

This info was really helpful. Did u end purchasing the machine? What are your thoughts on it? Thx

8 minutes ago, steadybrook said:

I bought a Consew.

Thx for the quick reply. I’m in the market for one and I’m trying to narrow down the brands. I like the functions, including the longer arm of the 669, but it is way out I’m price range, even the accessories are expensive. The Juki’s and Consew’s sound more realistic for me, may I ask which Consew you went with? I own a 206rb and love it

46 minutes ago, steadybrook said:

I bought a Consew.

So which Consew model did you find comparable to the Durkopp Adler 669?

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

So which Consew model did you find comparable to the Durkopp Adler 669?

That’s the same thing I was thinking lol. Thought I must’ve been overlooking one of their models! 

Your comments were helpful too Uwe. And I love your videos btw, watch them all the time even when they don’t apply to my machines! I clicked on those 2 Juki links, but I’m afraid I really don’t see the differences between these machines. I mean is there one?? What’s the difference between the 145 series and the 246?

1 hour ago, MG513 said:

That’s the same thing I was thinking lol. Thought I must’ve been overlooking one of their models! 

Your comments were helpful too Uwe. And I love your videos btw, watch them all the time even when they don’t apply to my machines! I clicked on those 2 Juki links, but I’m afraid I really don’t see the differences between these machines. I mean is there one?? What’s the difference between the 145 series and the 246?

Juki 145 is a top/bottom feed (walking foot presser foot), not a compound feed feed (no needle feed). Similar to how a Juki DU-1181 or Sailrite Ultrafeed work.

The 246 is a compound feed machine with a higher foot lift and a bit more heavy duty.

The 277R is ..."kinda" comparable to the 669 in thread size capability but that's about it. 669 has a longer arm, higher foot lift, adjustable climbing, etc. It's about mid way between a Juki 246 and 2342. I'm taking a long look at it, seems to be the perfect machine for what I need right now. 

16 hours ago, R8R said:

Juki 145 is a top/bottom feed (walking foot presser foot), not a compound feed feed (no needle feed). Similar to how a Juki DU-1181 or Sailrite Ultrafeed work.

The 246 is a compound feed machine with a higher foot lift and a bit more heavy duty.

The 277R is ..."kinda" comparable to the 669 in thread size capability but that's about it. 669 has a longer arm, higher foot lift, adjustable climbing, etc. It's about mid way between a Juki 246 and 2342. I'm taking a long look at it, seems to be the perfect machine for what I need right now. 

Thx a lot. I really wish these websites added these types of machine descriptions, I have no clue why they don’t! 

Anyways. Where would you say a Juki 341 or Consew 287 fit in this race? For me the parts and attachments seem more readily available and less expensive. 

Is there a machine that can handle 69-138, has the ability to disengage the dogs when using for binding, and produces a nice top AND bottom stitch and last but not least isn’t more than $2500?? Or am I dreaming?

I also just found a thread you were on regarding the LS 1341 series too, as I first considered a used 341. U mentioned the Thor clone and I really I like the fact that it has the foot adjustment dial, but for the handbags/backpacks I plan to make I think that cylinder would be too big. This one really seems like a more heavy duty machine. Looks like u went with 2600 after all. How are you liking it so far? Their site says this tops out at sewing 10mm thick, do u have a suggestion for a machine 1 step up that could handle 15mm at the thickest?

I find all of these options a bit stressful.

EDIT: I didn’t read far enough. Now I see the 2600 didnt end up working for you :(

Edited by MG513

6 hours ago, MG513 said:

Is there a machine that can handle 69-138, has the ability to disengage the dogs when using for binding, and produces a nice top AND bottom stitch and last but not least isn’t more than $2500?? Or am I dreaming?

Nope.

I am looking hard at the Adler 669 now, mainly because (except for the price) it has everything you described. It's actually not terrible in price compared to say a brand new Juki, and there are levels to the 669 - Eco, Classic, etc that give some cheaper options. The Eco versions are basic belt-driven and the Classics are automatic with direct drive options, etc. A new Juki 2342 is only direct drive with auto functions - there are no cheap options to that machine and you pay for a bunch of bells and whistles you may not need.

I mainly want a cylinder arm machine that can match the capacity of mu Juki 2810 that doesn't have a bunch of extras that tag on a few thousand bucks.

69 - 138 or maybe 92 - 207 with some tweaks.

High foot lift

Synchro binder option

Longer arm with a narrow arm if possible

Adjustable vertical lift knob

Adler 669 has all that.

Edited by R8R
Spellings

Ok to simplify my life (or complicate it?) I just scored locally a Mauser 335 with a full binding kit that will handle much of my binding tasks except the heaviest stuff. Machine is in beautiful shape, was impossible to say no!

4 hours ago, R8R said:

Nope.

I am looking hard at the Adler 669 now, mainly because (except for the price) it has everything you described. It's actually not terrible in price compared to say a brand new Juki, and there are levels to the 669 - Eco, Classic, etc that give some cheaper options. The Eco versions are basic belt-driven and the Classics are automatic with direct drive options, etc. A new Juki 2342 is only direct drive with auto functions - there are no cheap options to that machine and you pay for a bunch of bells and whistles you may not need.

I mainly want a cylinder arm machine that can match the capacity of mu Juki 2810 that doesn't have a bunch of extras that tag on a few thousand bucks.

69 - 138 or maybe 92 - 207 with some tweaks.

High foot lift

Synchro binder option

Longer arm with a narrow arm if possible

Adjustable vertical lift knob

Adler 669 has all that.

Nooooo don’t say that :( ! Man. I guess I’m going to have to consider this after all then. I definitely would want a synchronized binder and I think the narrow arm is a necessity. Hurry and buy so u can tell me if its really worth it :)

1 hour ago, R8R said:

Ok to simplify my life (or complicate it?) I just scored locally a Mauser 335 with a full binding kit that will handle much of my binding tasks except the heaviest stuff. Machine is in beautiful shape, was impossible to say no!

Ok now I’m really out here by myself lol. I found a Mauser a few weeks ago, 2500 for the head only. I had never heard the brand name before. It’s a Pfaff copy I believe, right? but I’ve heard they’re parts are crazy expensive. My nearest machine shop is 4 hours away, something goes wrong I’m screwed. Plus I know the 335 tops out just under the 15mm thickness... 

I’m good with traditional belts etc. I’d have the same fears pointed out by others about when the direct drive goes out then, what? 

It sounds like if I adjust my thickness requirement, the 335 type may work for me and may find one closer to my price range... hmmmmm

I bought the 669 in June at the Weaver auction.  It is an Eco version.  plain jane.  I have it set up but I am adding a pneumatic foot lift to it.  I own a Pfaff 335 and the 669 is way more powerful. longer arm, longer stitch and higher lift.   It is a next generation machine.     I have a 227 cowboy and neither it or the Pfaff 335  can touch the Adler.   It worth the extra money because of what it can do and what I wanted it to do.  I also have an Adler 205-370 with all the toys so I am covered in what I want to sew.

48 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

I bought the 669 in June at the Weaver auction.  It is an Eco version.  plain jane.  I have it set up but I am adding a pneumatic foot lift to it.  I own a Pfaff 335 and the 669 is way more powerful. longer arm, longer stitch and higher lift.   It is a next generation machine.     I have a 227 cowboy and neither it or the Pfaff 335  can touch the Adler.   It worth the extra money because of what it can do and what I wanted it to do.  I also have an Adler 205-370 with all the toys so I am covered in what I want to sew.

Maaaaaaan. I’m not a cheap person (believe it or not), it’s just that I’m not sure if it will be worth it in the end. I mostly make stuff for me... Granted. Once the investment is made of course I may be way more inclined to recoup my funds, but then again I know me. 

Thx for the input. I knew the Adler was in a class of its own, I just wanted to be sure there wasn’t a machine a little lower to get my feet wet!

I would say go with the Cowboy 227.  nice machine and reasonably priced.  Get it before 1-1-19 since the price is going up by about 25%!

22 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

I would say go with the Cowboy 227.  nice machine and reasonably priced.  Get it before 1-1-19 since the price is going up by about 25%!

Thx alot for your input! And for the reminder on the price hike... I remember reading that elsewhere. That sucks.

After having this convo across a few different threads, I can say that I now know for sure Id prefer to get a cylinder with a narrow arm to get into tight bag spots, so (as of right this second) I think? the 335 may be my choice over the 227. Plus it has a synch binder, which i know Id want.  With this stated, would u still suggest the 227 over a 335 type? I want the power/sewing capacity of a larger cylinder, but it possibly may not fit in areas where i really need it too.

However. My fuel pump went out my mid drive earlier today. Sooo... either way this purchase just got farther away and I'll just have to deal with the price hike once i get there. ;( 

If you definitely need the binder then I guess the 335 is the logical choice, but other than the binder the 227 is the superior machine for leatherwork, in my opinion. It also handles heavier thread.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, MG513 said:

Ok now I’m really out here by myself lol. I found a Mauser a few weeks ago, 2500 for the head only. I had never heard the brand name before. It’s a Pfaff copy I believe, right? but I’ve heard they’re parts are crazy expensive. My nearest machine shop is 4 hours away, something goes wrong I’m screwed. Plus I know the 335 tops out just under the 15mm thickness... 

I’m good with traditional belts etc. I’d have the same fears pointed out by others about when the direct drive goes out then, what? 

It sounds like if I adjust my thickness requirement, the 335 type may work for me and may find one closer to my price range... hmmmmm

Well so far I really like it, and it's smooth and pretty quiet. It's not the strongest climber but it will get me by for now. Still cleaning it and tweaking it a bit.

I will say that the 669 is in my future still. I can tell already that some projects will require a heavier machine.

FWIW the 335 has been around forever. This is essentially a Chinese built modern Pfaff 335, with many actual Pfaff parts. Generic parts are easy to find and cheap.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:50 AM, R8R said:

Well so far I really like it, and it's smooth and pretty quiet. It's not the strongest climber but it will get me by for now. Still cleaning it and tweaking it a bit.

I will say that the 669 is in my future still. I can tell already that some projects will require a heavier machine.

FWIW the 335 has been around forever. This is essentially a Chinese built modern Pfaff 335, with many actual Pfaff parts. Generic parts are easy to find and cheap.

Thanks for mentioning the generic parts. I had been getting some mixed reviews on that. It’s super important that I can get spare parts easily and affordably as I’ll kinda be on my own as far as where I live and will be doing any adjustments on my own. 

Once u get yours setup the way you’d like I love to know from your experience how thick you’d say the 335 can sew comfortably? Now that Ive narrowed my search down to this and a 341 style, I just want to figure out which one I should buy first... whichever one will mostly everything I’d need and then I could get the second one later, if I need the second one at all!