LunarConcepts

Consew 227R, Adjusting Hook Assembly Height? Photos

I am curious if it is possible to adjust the hook height on a Consew 227R? I know there are options to shim standard flat bed machines but this is my first cylinder bed and the drive system is different and more compact.

The issue I am having is that the bobbin case tab is barely engaging the slot in the needle plate. It can actually be bumped out with minimal effort. The machine is new to me from a retired purse maker. I am not sure if he had changed something. it will sew the way it is but...

What I would like to do is set the machine up for binding small pouches/bags etc. I couldn't find much info on binder parts from Consew but it appeared it was a clone of the Singer 153 so I purchased the binder needle plate, and feed dog and rigged up a simple swing away carrier for a 90* attachment. On the binder plate the bobbin case tab slot actually sits approx 1mm higher then the case tab, sitting so low already, doesn't even touch the needle plate now. I need the hook assembly to ride approx 1mm higher. Any suggestions? Is this adjustable? Even with the stock plate is sits much lower then any of my flatbed machines.

Photo 1 is with the standard needle plate.

Photo 2 is with the binder needle plate installed. ( Feed dog is not yet adjusted to match the needle plate height)

20171219_154513.jpg

20171219_154732.jpg

I have a feeling none of your throat plates were designed for the Consew 227R. If you add enough iterations of somebody making third generation copies of a part that was made for a copy of a machine, then you'll end up with parts that don't really fit anymore.

Personally I wouldn't attempt modify a $800 machine head to accommodate a $20 throat plate that doesn't fit right. 

Try to find throat plates that fit well. That Consew 227R is very likely "just" a rebadged Seiko CW-8B, which in turn is likely based on the Singer, but not a clone in the strict sense. Look in the Seiko CW-8B parts list for part numbers and then search for that exact part number. Or  look for parts that say they fit the Seiko CW-8B. Then, if they don't fit, return them.

Some of our resident vendors may also be able to hook you up with throat plates that actually fit your machine.  They may cost a few bucks more, but you'll be happier in the long run.

Of course there's also a small chance that your hook assembly itself isn't quite the right one for the machine.

Edited by Uwe

Thank you Uwe,

I agree, I feel that the standard throat plate fitment isn't ideal. You never know what someone replaced or messed with when getting a used machines. My flatbed manuals talk about shimming the height of the hook assembly but that is completely different drive set up. Cylinder machine parts don't seem as common.

I did look into the CW-8 series but could not find any information on binding throat plate for that model. It looks like there LCW-8 is a bigger machine and does show options for a binder plate in the parts manual but from the images, it doesn't look like it is quite the same.

I believe I just found the part number for the Consew 227RBF which looks to have been the synchro binder version. I must have searched for 2 hours previously with no luck and found it in 10 minutes this time

Screenshot for future reference

Hopefully I can find one that is made to spec. Thanks again for the reply.

227RBF.JPG

s there any up & down movement when you push the hook up & down?I've seen these hook saddles(the part the hook rides in) get worn & get vertical play in them.Also the back side of the notch in the binder plate looks like it's been ground off & shorter then you standard plate.Do to the way the hook is in this type of machine if you shimmed it you wouldn't be able to tighten the screw that holds the hook in tight enough to hold or it would bind the machine up.

Edited by CowboyBob

15 hours ago, Uwe said:

Of course there's also a small chance that your hook assembly itself isn't quite the right one for the machine.

That's what I and the mechanic here were thinking as well.

Also, make sure all of the parts are in there, we were looking for the needle guard index #45, but the image you provided didn't show enough information to confirm this.

I would really think that if you have two different types of throat plates, and neither work correctly, to look elsewhere for the issue.

Consew227RHookAreaImage.JPG

On 12/20/2017 at 5:34 AM, CowboyBob said:

s there any up & down movement when you push the hook up & down?I've seen these hook saddles(the part the hook rides in) get worn & get vertical play in them.Also the back side of the notch in the binder plate looks like it's been ground off & shorter then you standard plate.Do to the way the hook is in this type of machine if you shimmed it you wouldn't be able to tighten the screw that holds the hook in tight enough to hold or it would bind the machine up.

Thank you for the info Bob. Looking at the set up it didn't look like it would let me  shim it being tapered gears.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:53 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

That's what I and the mechanic here were thinking as well.

Also, make sure all of the parts are in there, we were looking for the needle guard index #45, but the image you provided didn't show enough information to confirm this.

I would really think that if you have two different types of throat plates, and neither work correctly, to look elsewhere for the issue.

Consew227RHookAreaImage.JPG

Thank you Greg,

I plan on pulling it apart and checking it After Christmas. I may give you a call if I find anything missing. I'd like to talk about the possibility of adding some pneumatic features to the Juki 1541 I bought from you as well as a Consew 255RB-3. I got a chance to run a Pfaff 1245 with air lift in place of the knee lifter and loved it.  

On 12/24/2017 at 5:27 PM, LunarConcepts said:

Thank you for the info Bob. Looking at the set up it didn't look like it would let me  shim it being tapered gears.

Thank you Greg,

I plan on pulling it apart and checking it After Christmas. I may give you a call if I find anything missing. I'd like to talk about the possibility of adding some pneumatic features to the Juki 1541 I bought from you as well as a Consew 255RB-3. I got a chance to run a Pfaff 1245 with air lift in place of the knee lifter and loved it.  

We can figure somthing out for the pneumatics.