Wanted to share some of the shave kits (dopp bags, wash kits, whatever you'd like to call them) that I've been working on for Christmas gifts.  After seeing many different designs, I settled for using a plan from one of Al Stohlman's books.  I didn't like the dimensions of that one however, so I modified the width until I finally came up with the right proportions, at least in my mind.  I find some of the other shave kit designs out there look a lot like a loaf of bread!  They may be easier to make, but I had a picture in my mind of a kit that my dad used to have, and this one comes closest to that.

The construction method was challenging to figure out, in the book it showed using the awl to do the final stitching.  I tried that a couple of times, but did not think it was the best way, and it was messy stitching, even though it was on the inside of the bag seams.  I now pre-punch the stitching holes after figuring how to make them line up.  There's also a trick (it's not a trick Michael) to sewing the sides that I also figured out after making a few of these.

I left out the typical grab handle and opted for the d-ring.  I find that when I carry one of these bags it's kind of tucked under my arm.  I usually have too many loose breakable items in the bag to sling it around on its end with a handle.  I did include the d-ring in case you wanted to hang the bag on the back of a bathroom door.

image006.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

Edited by kncorey

Those are beautiful work! I think your stitching is wonderful and the color choices you have picked work well together. I be pleased with any of those. I like that piping on the seams; always wondered how that was done.

You've been gettin after it!  I'd say you have it down pat and you are going to have a bunch of happy recipients!

YinTx

I need to try piping and zippers. They both seem very difficult in my mind.

Great job.

These are excellent. I like Stohlman's design but I'd like to make one with a lining that's fairly water resistant myself. 

Nice work - they look great!

Wow, that is stellar work. Those are lovely!

Come On now, did you really to those?!:huh:  Just kidding like all the others those are over the top, I have been wanting to make some, and have the leather for it just scared to take the jump, but I guess I shouldn't let they hold me back.  I need to read up on how to do the piping on those and I am going to guess here that you sowed those inside out?  But hay did I ask, If you really did those?  Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Those are some great looking bags, great design and perfect color combinations. 

the third and the more caught my eye. Nice work and design.

Freakin sweet!

very nicely done, your stitching is perfect, (doffs hat, and bows). I'm inspired to make the shave kit I've been needing for the my summer work traveling. 

11 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

These are excellent. I like Stohlman's design but I'd like to make one with a lining that's fairly water resistant myself. 

Where do you get the stohlman design?

and great bag ! Looking super smart :)

Edited by ByNelson

Hi ByNelson,

Those instructions and diagrams are in: The art of Making Leather Cases - volume 2.

send me your mail address - dirkba@webafrica.org.za 

:P I also modified the "handle" for better carry purpose and added a side pocket

Dopp bag.jpg

Edited by dirkba
added pics

@ByNelson, dirkba already said it. The art of making cases volume 2 by Al stohlman. There are 3 volumes total. They are worth having in your library for sure. 

@dirkba thanks for the response. Much obliged.

very nice bags.  love the attention to detail

21 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

@ByNelson, dirkba already said it. The art of making cases volume 2 by Al stohlman. There are 3 volumes total. They are worth having in your library for sure. 

@dirkba thanks for the response. Much obliged.

22 hours ago, dirkba said:

Hi ByNelson,

Those instructions and diagrams are in: The art of Making Leather Cases - volume 2.

send me your mail address - dirkba@webafrica.org.za 

:P I also modified the "handle" for better carry purpose and added a side pocket

Dopp bag.jpg

Thanks guys :) 

Thanks everybody for the comments, the kits have been well received now that the holidays are over.  These are great projects to practice zippers, I've found that the key to getting a nice zipper is using a strong two-sided tape to hold it in place, and ensuring that when you stitch back through the zipper tape, you make sure your needle enters the stitching hole cleanly.  That means perpendicular - it's easy to come in at a bit of an angle, and in doing so you might snag a couple of the threads from the zipper tape (since your stitch holes through the tape will not be as clean as through leather).  If you do catch some of the thread, it will pull just enough to make the top stitch a little wonky.  As far as the piping goes, it's not as hard as it might seem, just make sure the leather for the piping is thin, but not so thin that you need a filler to give it a round fold (the part that shows).  This design allows the piping to be butt-joined, since the seam is hidden under the end tabs.  If the piping seam is going to be exposed, then it needs to be overlapped, which is much trickier.  Also realize that your glue line will be much smaller than you might think, since it will be turned inside out and have stress placed on the seam.  Glue just thin enough so that it holds together for the hole punching.  Happy New Year folks!

Those are sweet! Good job on all of them. Now send me one for free and I will advertise your product for you! (joke):lol: