DominickTuroski

Came across a Florence Crown

My buddy has a Florence sewing machine, not entirely sure the mode because information is a bit limited. Something in the crown line. I did a bit of research and it seems to be newer than 1880's when the company came back. So onto the wild questions, think it can sew 2 layers of 3 oz leather with a leather point needle? (And what kind of needles am I looking at) Maybe too much to ask, and maybe a bit dirty if the machine is rare. Here is a picture from my buddy. 

IMG_1837.JPG

The machine looks something like a Singer 27 (and newer 127). A model 27 has an oscillating boat shaped shuttle under the front sliding plate, which takes long skinny bobbins with small disks on the ends. Your bobbin winder is the same as the Singer bobbin winder on a model 27 machine. The bobbins, if they fit, can be bought from numerous eBay sewing machine dealers and probably from some of our supporting dealers.

If they also copied the Singer feed dog for those models, it should be able to handle 6 ounces of leather with ease.

These machines use system HAx1 domestic needles, which are sold all over the place. Your friend will need leather point needles for the best results.  I recommend size #18 (aka: 110) with #69 bonded nylon thread.

Thank you @Wizcrafts! Always so helpful. I'll be sure to post how this progresses. And yes @MakerUnknown Absolutely amazing decoration on these early machines. Any idea on how threading this thing may go? I'm currently looking for manuals. From comparing the image to the singer 27 it looks like the florence is missing a tension unit? Maybe it's internal. Who knows. I'm going to go check it out sometime this week. More info then!

That's a beauty and in amazing condition too.  Try asking over at victoriansweatshop.com  There are several experts on pre-1900 sewing machines there.  It bears a strong resemblance to an early White machine but I don't think White used that style of top tension. 

EDIT:  ISMACS might be a good place to check too.

Edited by rodneywt1180b

checked out ismacs, pretty good info on the company but not much on the models.

Just remember that this is a household grade machine, even though back then they made household machines to do a very wide range of stitching. I do not see the lifter in the picture, but I am sure it can't pull large thread through heavy leather w/o breaking.

My old hand cranked Singer works with anything from finest batiste to heavy denim and felt, but leather - not so well.