meswaine

industrial singer class 5-9

I am looking for any help with my search for needles  and a manual for a Singer 5-9,  The photo does not do the scale justice, It weights at least 500lbs. It is 4 feet wide. It is  much larger than the class 7 but has a similar bobbin, but i don't own a class 7 so I am not sure how close the bobbin holder is. I guess I am looking for someone who has a class 5 machine  or any direction to point me.  Which industrial sewing store might know about this machine?  Thank you for letting me post my question here.

5a3b6966717ab_wideview5-9(small).thumb.jpg.affa6fdf2ff21fc01da4bb88114a8d56.jpg

i found this old book in the Smithsonian on-line archive but this doesn't help me enough to find an equivalent needle. 

SIL10-50-080a.thumb.jpg.227ae5513e829ff14b2bc6ae002a1e91.jpg

Well that's a beautiful monster. ISMACS describes it as an overseaming/sigzag machine. I can't imagine many dealers/stores would know much about it, it's been out of production for 120 years. However you might have luck contacting the London Sewing Machine Museum -- run by a machine dealer in Wimbledon. Contacts:

By post: London Sewing Machine Museum, 308 Balham High Road, London SW17 7AA
By phone: 020 8682 7916
By Fax: 020 8767 4726
By e-mail: wimbledonsewingmachinecoltd@btinternet.com

There used to be a belting company in town that had these. I remember going there & 2 of them were running at the same time time what a great sound they made.we do have some 5x5. Needles in stock Size #28

WOW.... both response are so  helpful !

I will look into London Museum and I will order some needles from "Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines"

Bob, Do you remember the name of the Belting Company ? I wonder if they would have a manual in some old folder in a back corner ?

Thank you both. Michael 

This looks like a machine for doing fishtails on belts rather than zigzag. But I can only see one side of the drum near the needle bar from here.

Here's what I got on this. 

Singer5Class.jpg

This is a Monster.  One of the biggest machines Singer ever made.  Bigger than a 6 class, 7 class , 8 class.    Not as big as a 9 class which was THE  largest machine Singer ever made.   I would buy if I had it available 5-1and rebuild it just to have it.   You will definitely need help moving it.  Please get us more pics of it especially if you get it.  I have an original parts list book to  5-1vto 5-5, 5-7, 5-10 to 5-11.  Not the 5-9 however. 

Is this a zig-zag machine?

glenn

18 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

This is a Monster.  One of the biggest machines Singer ever made.  Bigger than a 6 class, 7 class , 8 class.    Not as big as a 9 class which was THE  largest machine Singer ever made.   I would buy if I had it available 5-1and rebuild it just to have it.   You will definitely need help moving it.  Please get us more pics of it especially if you get it.  I have an original parts list book to  5-1vto 5-5, 5-7, 5-10 to 5-11.  Not the 5-9 however. 

Is this a zig-zag machine?

glenn

This looks like an extended Class 7.  I think the Class 8 is bigger than this?  At least from looking at that picture. The largest machine is the 67-1

5a3d25ef7f3aa_SingerClass67-1Sticher.jpg.b2995a85d5c07629fa4f60fe25670c7c.jpg

Class 8-8 monster>

Singer88.thumb.jpg.65736280f515a4a37aa147a75aec3e5c.jpg

Singer only made about 40 some of these 67-1 machines.  I have seen 2 of them in Ohio and they are monsters, bigger than a 5 class.  Both machines are huge.  The 5 class shown in the pictures has a S.D.A. on it which stood for Singer driving attachment.  They were run on line shaft and the SDA is what you engaged the machine with on the drive belt.  The 5-9 is indeed a big zigzag machine.  The 8 class is smaller than the 5 class machine.  Both are smaller than the 67-1.   If you want to see the biggest machine Singer ever made, look up the 9-1 machine.  That was truly a monster.

glenn

I think if you saw a 9-1 in-person it would be very impressive, but it looks like a quilting frame rather than the traditional machine shape so it lacks in its overall "wow factor" from the Singer rendering.  I wonder if any survived?  It would be great to see an actual photo of one.  It would be also great to see a 14k8, they looked fairly complicated.

5a427daa9d61a_Singer9_1.jpg.e2129acf744ff98d8b296fd7575d6808.jpg5a427dbe7c02f_Singer9k1.thumb.jpg.e7728d1144ed39ead4c667a514252da8.jpg

5a427dc475afb_Singer14k8.thumb.jpg.4eae52a832779883dacd3f6e7ffef1b8.jpg

2 hours ago, Yetibelle said:

I think if you saw a 9-1 in-person it would be very impressive, but it looks like a quilting frame rather than the traditional machine shape so it lacks in its overall "wow factor" from the Singer rendering.  I wonder if any survived?  It would be great to see an actual photo of one.  It would be also great to see a 14k8, they looked fairly complicated.

Edited by jimi

It raises the obvious question - what on earth would anyone do with a 5-9?:blink: (Besides look at it).

On 12/26/2017 at 5:57 PM, dikman said:

It raises the obvious question - what on earth would anyone do with a 5-9?:blink: (Besides look at it).

Other than look, I guess can talk about it. Or at least type on a message board about sewing machines about it.  Hope that helps!