Sign in to follow this  
ke6cvh

new but old Frobana just got sewing

Hello group,  I purchased a Frobana.  This is an older one that was imported to New York.  From a different posting on the internet someone was guessing 20's to 30's.  It still has waxed thread in the bobbin and the spool (spool has a very cool hot-rod or aircraft brushed finish to it on the thread).  The heater for the wax on the bobbin appears completely intact as I took it apart and carefully re-assembled.  However, with pre-waxed thread it seems nobody was using the wax pot.  Thread was too old and breaking too easily so I discovered that 100 percent carpet warp is the same diameter (but not allot stronger it seems) and I got it to sew a 4mm crepe type rubber onto denim.  Very cool machine.  I also see that there is some nylon available at Ace hardware that is same diameter so this will likely be my go-to for strength but not sure if it will be easier or harder to sew with nylon.  I'm hoping to get an operator's manual in English and willing to pay for a scan but I'm thinking that is unobtanium....if anyone wants/willing to help there it would be of great help.  My intended purpose for this is sandals and more importantly for sewing knee pads onto work jeans.  I have some 4mm (with grooves) 50a durometer "Genuine Grip" that I"ll be trying.  My thought is with this softer rubber I will certainly need the thickest possible thread possible to keep from tearing through the rubber.  It only has 1 needle.  I see more on ebay out of Germany.  Is this a needle no longer made?  The needles on ebay are size 4 and size 5 but this cotton carpet warp thread is a ticket 4 (just a S.W.A.G. as I don't know how to properly guess that one).  Is there a way to nail down the size of this needle?  Are people making them by bending then heat treating?  Any help would be very much appreciated.  Happy holidays.  Mike 

Hello again group,  I found a facebook user group for shoe making that I am waiting for approval to join but they had a Frobana manual scan (in German) that I downloaded for free.  I also found a lot of 10 pieces and another of 9 pieces of nm240 needle on Ebay out of Germany.  The Tippmann industrial web site states the following:  346 Thread with a Size 230/250 Needle Commonly used for mule and other heavy duty tack. Also used in boot and shoe applications.  So, it seems I may have hit pay dirt on this one.  Now I need to find some T346 thread and also figure out if Schmetz is still making the 761 pg needle or not (this is the Frobana needle I bought).  Please email me or pm me if you want a copy of the manual.  There is also a pristine copy on ebay in German but this one will get the job done and already in digits.  Any feedback on a Gritzner Frobana is welcome of course.  If this machine works for the intended purpose then it will eventually become a manual back up with a different machine as the primary.  Happy holidays and best regards, Mike Kendall

Hello Mike, if you PM me your email address i will send you a PDF copy in English of the Gritzner manual which is the same as the Frobana. if you are in Germany then that is where you will find most of them and parts for them on sale. needles are €10  each on the net and from the dealers in Holland etc if bought new. if you wanted them cheaper you will need to look out on the ebay germany site and see if you can pick them up from a seller of one of those type machines. i think the size 3 are no longer made, just the 4 and 5. also could you post some pictures of the machine. regards jimi.

P.S. for sewing sandals this will do great , but sewing pads onto work jeans?? i cant see how you could do this?? these machines are for stitching soles.

Edited by jimi

Hi Jimi! I was wondering if it could be possible to send me a copy of the manual as well. Thank you very much! 

On 7/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, Anti19 said:

Hi Jimi! I was wondering if it could be possible to send me a copy of the manual as well. Thank you very much! 

Yes no problem, PM me your email and i will send it, Jimi.