CZoc

Singer Badges and Sleigh Bells :)

Well - I have been busy giving stuff away for gifts or EBAY (don't sell? re-gift it) . The nice thing about this type of work is the quick turn around but they can still have a level of quality.

The sleigh bell Door hanger has evolved and this is the final version. I have made anywhere from 2-7 bell configurations with different stains / stitching color. This one has Gold stitching but Red stitching looks real nice too. I made two for myself using the heavier solid brass antique bells but these are brass plated from Weaver.

The key fobs are an attempt to "Keep the Singers Alive" by repurposing old badges. These are my favorite. I even had a guy ask for a 100 year anniversary badge and it turned out good too.

Merry Christmas all !

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Beautiful and thoughtful work!

Those look really cool.  Maybe next year I'll make a couple.  How do the bells sound?  Do they actually work when you open the door?

YinTx

My feelings are mixed on repurposed items that I love.  I love the job you did on the key fobs and I think they would be great sellers.  Maybe post some on various vintage sewing sites.   I do like them.  It's tempered by the fact that the badges came from old sewing machines-another hobby of mine.  I'm hoping the machines were beyond recovery. 

YinTx - The bells sound just OK in my opinion. I have been spoiled and own a bunch of the solid cast brass ones that have a great sound. Weaver sells them brand new, pricy but worth it. These brass plated bells kinda sound "twangy" in comparison. When attached to the door they make noise, but not a whole lot. You really have to slam the door to get a good sound out of them.... which my family has been telling me to stop doing because its getting irritating... :)

Rodneywt1180b -  I really do appreciate your sentiment. I also hate the thought of a perfectly good machine, or a candidate for refurbish being discarded. I have one such machine. It was a cracked casting issue on my first  29-4. I parted out all that was salvageable and still couldn't get rid of the cracked carcass. It now hangs on my wall in my garage...and is unmistakable! It was the badge plate and Model plate from this machine that generated the idea. I saved them both and made MY key fob.  See Attached.

29-4.jpg

Good to know.  I like your personal one a lot too.  They are really classy looking key fobs.

The reason I brought it up is I see a lot of old sewing machines, many of them perfectly capable of running and some in amazing shape being repurposed these days.  I don't mind the responsible parting out of machines that aren't practical to repair.  I don't care to see otherwise perfectly good sewing machines turned into tractors or bookends though.