Just a heads up for those of you who use WeldWood Contact Cement gel, Lowe's has it on clearance.  I believe that they are either getting rid of the old designed cans to possibly replace them with new ones OR moving away from  carrying the 1 gallon cans.  They do have the smaller cans of the gel, but the gallon cans are the better buy.  

Just checked my Lowe’s and they have 1 gal for $31.28 - is that the price you have?

Gary

Does the gel formula work well for leather?  Issues with gumming up needles/awls, burnishing edges, etc?  Or work the same as regular contact cement?

YinTx

2 hours ago, garypl said:

Just checked my Lowe’s and they have 1 gal for $31.28 - is that the price you have?

Gary

Hi Gary, in Virginia/DC/Maryland it is marked down to $27.98 as clearance in store with a clearance tag.  On the app it shows the same price but doesn't say it's on clearance.   The stores that I've gone to to get it have sold it to me for $10 for the last cans because they were dented or rusted (contents were totally fine as I had them open it before I left).

IMG_8650.PNG

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

Does the gel formula work well for leather?  Issues with gumming up needles/awls, burnishing edges, etc?  Or work the same as regular contact cement?

YinTx

It works very well.  I'm able to work with it a lot faster than the original for folded leather straps; typically one coat spread evenly will do the trick.  Because I have a large volume of straps to do, I put one end of the piece of leather in a vice while holding the other end.  I take a metal putty knife/spatula to spread the contact cement gel across the back side of the leather.  The first pass absorbs the contact cement and the second makes it tacky enough to bond in 5 minutes or less. It works just the same as the original, just less mess unless you are using large globs of it.   I let it cure 24 hours after folding it to insure that it has bonded properly.  No issues with sewing on my Cobra Class 4.  I have used it in the past on 2 pieces of 8-9oz veg tan leather pieces that I glued together, but I don't recall that there were any issues with the edges... I sanded and burnished them with no problem. Just my experience with it, but I love the stuff... well minus the fumes!!! Thank god I have a really good mask and decent ventilation, but even with I takes me 3 hours to get the fumes out of my place.

2 hours ago, garypl said:

Gary

I looked at your profile to pull up your local Lowe's... it's on sale there too and there are some available...

IMG_8747.PNG

I will stop by tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get!