motocouture

Small braided headphones holder

I just made a small braided headphones holder as a gift. Figured I’d post more detailed pics of the process here, as knots can sometimes be hard to follow (for me at least) just from diagrams in a book. The piece starts as a simple flat three plait, which is then folded in half and tied off with scrap thread to form the loop at one end. 

Two strands are then thinned down to make the core for a round four braid.  The start of the round braid doesn’t have to be super neat, as it’ll be covered later by a knot. I then braid for about 6 inches (can be longer but wouldn’t recommend any shorter), then tie off with scrap thread (will also be covered by a knot). 

I then roll the braid under a bread board to stretch it out and smooth down the texture.

D51FC9D1-F3BC-40D5-9A08-F3546429D393.jpeg

84D29D33-A9FC-4E28-BE2C-8A10D510184B.jpeg

Edited by motocouture

The next step is to tie a gaucho knot button.  I used the instructions from Bruce Grant’s Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding, p281 (pictured below). The following pics then show (as best I can) the main steps. 

24BE60C9-B441-43D2-BC4E-986D2E525D25.jpeg

5E92089D-4319-4CAA-BDBD-6207F1548173.jpeg

These ones show the first couple of steps (Figures 1 and 2 from the book), quoting Grant, a crown knot then a wall knot. The first crown knot will become the top of the finished button, so I leave some room between it and the tied off portion of the round braid.

The two strands up the center are the core of the round braid; left them in here just to give some stability until the knot’s finished.

4BA67491-F77F-42AC-AC22-4EEE8222A8B9.jpeg

395C39FE-8175-44C7-9848-B93F33B3EE1B.jpeg

I agree about the Bruce Grant books. Very informative.

You do nice braiding. Very good job.

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

1 hour ago, ChasCS said:

I agree about the Bruce Grant books. Very informative.

You do nice braiding. Very good job.

Chas

Absolutely! And thank you :) 

Just now, motocouture said:

Absolutely! And thank you :) 

Thank you, for sharing your work, and participating on the forum. ;-)

Hope to see much more, from you. Good stuff.

Chas

On that note, @ChasCS, here are some more pics : )

Once the crown and wall knots are done, next is to weave the strands under as shown in figure 3. I find it helps to set up the knot and strands so that they look exactly like the drawing, and to tie a small scrap of thread around the first strand you work (green star strand). This really helps when you get back to the start and need to figure out where the fourth strand works in (which is where I usually make mistakes :yes:).

The green star strand works in under the red star strand. To work the next one, I rotate the knot 90 degrees, so it looks the same as the image again, and work the next strand. 

A1F7BB35-C36E-478D-81EE-16CCDF00C5F0.jpeg

Edited by motocouture

Just now, motocouture said:

On that note, @ChasCS, here are some more pics : )

Once the crown and wall knots are done, next is to weave the strands under as shown in figure 3. I find it helps to set up the knot and strands so that they look exactly like the drawing, and to tie a small scrap of thread around the first strand you work (green star strand). This really helps when you get back to the start and need to figure out where the fourth strand works in. 

The pics aren't showing... But perhaps you can upload them once again. Thanks.

Chas

3 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

The pics aren't showing... But perhaps you can upload them once again. Thanks.

Chas

Accidentally posted too early lol. They should be up now!

6 minutes ago, motocouture said:

Accidentally posted too early lol. They should be up now!

Yes, there you go. Gosh, I think I know of a device, which would help with this complicated braiding. ;-)

It's normally used for small soldering jobs. But gives the extra holding ability.

Chas

image.jpeg

Once figure 3 is done, the next pic shows the setup for figure 4. The strand in the photo with a green star is strand 1 in the diagram, folded back ready to slide under the red star strand. If it’s done right, it should lay parallel to the strand beside it.

6CD7B4E3-4BD6-4BFD-8CD0-8A997E0D16D4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

Yes, there you go. Gosh, I think I know of a device, which would help with this complicated braiding. ;-)

It's normally used for small soldering jobs. But gives the extra holding ability.

Chas

image.jpeg

Love it!!! Great idea!

40 minutes ago, motocouture said:

Love it!!! Great idea!

Yes, I would color code each of the six clips. And keep notes as well. Ha

I have a short term memory disability, from my hippie herbal culture... Chuckles

There are other third hand devices as well, but this one would serve me well.

Chas

On 12/24/2017 at 11:12 PM, ChasCS said:

Yes, I would color code each of the six clips. And keep notes as well. Ha

I have a short term memory disability, from my hippie herbal culture... Chuckles

There are other third hand devices as well, but this one would serve me well.

Chas

I like that idea! 

Ah, c’est la vie :)

Onto figure 5... this is the step I always have to pause and think hard on. The strands weave through to split the pairs.  Strand 1 (front left) goes under at the yellow diamonds, passing beneath two strands before coming up at the first red star. Then passes over two strands before going under again at the second red star. The strand then goes under another two strands, and that completes the weave of that strand for this step. Again, it helps to mark strand 1 somehow, so you know when your back to the start.

1CC1FB85-7E5C-418D-89AA-7D0C6713B8DD.jpeg

Once all the pairs of strands are split in figure 5, the knot should look like below...

EBAF6F10-9BF9-4F3F-A8CA-F6320D1D3358.jpeg

Very neat knot!  I really like braiding and I wish I had more time to practice it.  Thanks for posting this.  Makes me want to try this project.

Braiding, weaving, and tying knots are all interesting, fun & challenging, in learning.

Whether it's basket weaving or jib & sail ropes on a boat...

I also enjoy a couple of other delightful knot books I purchased, (coincidently both from Lee Valley Tools) that have page after page of instructions, guiding us through some of the many numerous knots that are used around the world today. This first particular publication I listed, is in paper back. With the second selection, being a large hard cover, coffee table reference manual.

All The knots You Need http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10014&cat=2,51553,10014

Ashley Book of Knots http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10013&cat=2,51553,10013

Part of their blurb: 

Well indexed, this book presents the knowledge needed to tie not only the practical knots we still use, but also the complex, beautiful decorative knots that are in danger of being lost. A 52-page chapter describes knots used in over 90 occupations, including archer, baker, carpenter, cooper, farmer, fisherman, gardener, tree surgeon, and weaver. 

Old sailors will bless Ashley for preserving this wonderful lore. 

These are both worthy of acquiring, particularly the big book of knot lore. It would take one, many a day or nights of practice, even to just learn all of the knots, a well practiced boys scout would appreciate, for sufficient safe survival. Also for us, in our own everyday life, challenges & chores.

Chas

On December 26, 2017 at 8:03 PM, motocouture said:

I like that idea! 

Ah, c’est la vie :)

I thought this would be an interesting project.

Chas

image.jpeg

On 12/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, ChasCS said:

I thought this would be an interesting project.

Chas

image.jpeg

Thank you so much for the references! I’m fairly sure my dad has a copy of the Ashley book stashed away somewhere, which he’s promised to dig out for me. 

Love the braided shoe project; have never seen anything like that. Really clever!

Happy if you liked them. Yes, the Ashley Book of Knots is fantastic. It's much like an encyclopedia.

Large & heavy, with lots if pages, jam packed with valuable descriptive info and much more .

On another note, it would be cool to wear a pair of fancy comfortable woven shoes. They must be cool in the summer. Think they look like a challenging and rewarding challenge.

Chas