A6C5O7

Glove lining question

Hello, 

First off let me say how great the community here is! Im looking at making a pair of pigskin work gloves and I would like to line them with something but my question is that would be a good liner fo ssmething that's good to work on? Also if you have any tips on making gloves I would be all ears! 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Happy holidays. 

That’s something I’d like to do... I have a lovely piece of deerskin I could use for gloves. If anyone has a pattern please send it this way too. Thanks.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:12 PM, A6C5O7 said:

Hello, 

First off let me say how great the community here is! Im looking at making a pair of pigskin work gloves and I would like to line them with something but my question is that would be a good liner fo ssmething that's good to work on? Also if you have any tips on making gloves I would be all ears! 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Happy holidays. 

Hello there, and welcome to the community! For dress gloves, I would have said a thin cashmere knit, however, for work gloves you probably need something more robust. If you’re going the non-leather route, and it’s for colder weather, I believe ‘Thinsulate’ have some good materials. I’ll see if I can find a website I’ve used previously to source active wear / outdoor fabrics from. 

On 12/25/2017 at 6:50 AM, KingsCountyLeather said:

That’s something I’d like to do... I have a lovely piece of deerskin I could use for gloves. If anyone has a pattern please send it this way too. Thanks.

Pretty sure I have a reproduction of a vintage glove making book in my stash somewhere; will see if I can dig it out and scan the pattern for you.

1 minute ago, motocouture said:

Hello there, and welcome to the community! For dress gloves, I would have said a thin cashmere knit, however, for work gloves you probably need something more robust. If you’re going the non-leather route, and it’s for colder weather, I believe ‘Thinsulate’ have some good materials. I’ll see if I can find a website I’ve used previously to source active wear / outdoor fabrics from. 

Pretty sure I have a reproduction of a vintage glove making book in my stash somewhere; will see if I can dig it out and scan the pattern for you.

Wow, that would be great. thanks.

the deerskin I have was bought in Italy while on holiday. It is the softest leather I have and is probably only 1mm thick.

cant think of any other use for it. Its too soft for an apron .

looking forward to trying something new.

3 hours ago, motocouture said:

Sweet! Thank you so much for your help! 

Apologies for the delay - I managed to find my book on glovemaking. It is a reprint of a book originally published in 1929, and is a fascinating read. I’ve taken a few pics of some relevant pages for you. 

EF3CC67F-9067-4E7F-932D-8F9418E05DE8.jpeg

62B83AA3-E0E4-47CE-82A5-D9D17467618E.jpeg

6BCD3D70-731F-4326-92DA-01F00351AAF5.jpeg

Quite awesome @motocouture!

Thank you so much@motocouture, really appreciate this.

I have saved the images till I have time to digest the information and get the courage to actually try to make a pair of gloves.

8 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Quite awesome @motocouture!

3 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Thank you so much@motocouture, really appreciate this.

I have saved the images till I have time to digest the information and get the courage to actually try to make a pair of gloves.

No worries at all! Gloves look fairly daunting, so keen to see how it goes!

by the way, found this website that sells outdoor fabrics; the micro-velour might be good if you’re in a cold climate. Otherwise maybe a simple cotton flannel from Jo-Ann’s night do the trick for lining the pigskin  (strongly recommend prewashing any fabrics, as natural fiber fabrics can shrink from 5 to 10%, and fabrics are often treated with stabilizing chemicals for weaving).

http://www.questoutfitters.com/fleece fabs.html#100 WT MICRO VELOUR

Here’s a link to a sample cotton flannel at Joann’s....I use it in plain colors to line small bags etc, or as a interlining layer to add softness / padding  

http://www.joann.com/snuggle-flannel-fabric-42in-ice-green-plaid/15732027.html#q=cotton flannel&start=1

1 hour ago, motocouture said:

No worries at all! Gloves look fairly daunting, so keen to see how it goes!

by the way, found this website that sells outdoor fabrics; the micro-velour might be good if you’re in a cold climate. Otherwise maybe a simple cotton flannel from Jo-Ann’s night do the trick for lining the pigskin  (strongly recommend prewashing any fabrics, as natural fiber fabrics can shrink from 5 to 10%, and fabrics are often treated with stabilizing chemicals for weaving).

http://www.questoutfitters.com/fleece fabs.html#100 WT MICRO VELOUR

Again, Thank you for all your help.

I’m sure @A6C5O7will be first to try and make a pair of glove before me and rightly so as this is his thread and I seemed to barge in on it. I hope he is not offended as I’m only very interested also. I will also look forward to seen how he gets on at making his pair of gloves. They certainly don’t look too easy to make. 

The only leather supplier in Ireland is a small shop in Dublin and they also make gloves. I was only there once and I noticed they had clicker dies for all sizes of gloves. I will try to contact them again and see if they’re willing to help me in the process of making my pair. Then I will share the process here too.

Ger.

You have peaked my curiosity as well.  I am pretty rough on work gloves and would love to try and make a pair that would last.

I went to Google books to see if I could find the book you have.  Sometimes I get lucky and find something there for free.  I think this may be the same one you have available as an eBook for $6.  Practical Glove Making 

5 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Again, Thank you for all your help.

I’m sure @A6C5O7will be first to try and make a pair of glove before me and rightly so as this is his thread and I seemed to barge in on it. I hope he is not offended as I’m only very interested also. I will also look forward to seen how he gets on at making his pair of gloves. They certainly don’t look too easy to make. 

The only leather supplier in Ireland is a small shop in Dublin and they also make gloves. I was only there once and I noticed they had clicker dies for all sizes of gloves. I will try to contact them again and see if they’re willing to help me in the process of making my pair. Then I will share the process here too.

Ger.

No worries at all. I encourage the barging. Keeps a thread alive. My father wants me to make a pair with his 45 year old buckskin, first one he got as a child. Figured I'd make a few out of pigskin to get the technique down and then try with that leather. I' love to see gloves anyone has made! It seems to be a dying art.