davehorseblanket

Sunstar km-380 cylinder arm machine

I know of a sunstar km-380 cylinder arm machine, has anyone used one of these or any other sunstar brand, I've googled brand and model, just not finding much info, I don't sew much leather, mostly horse blanket repairs, and other items of thicker materials, polyester web strap materials, sometimes bed of my other two industrials is in way to do certain things, cylinder type machine would work in those situations, but I don't know anything about this brand

My googling brings up good info like manuals with specs: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sunstar+KM-380

Sunstar is made in Korea. It's actually a good brand based on what I've seen. I have a Sunstar KM-380 but haven't sewn with it yet. It's not a direct copy of any OEM machine I know of, but rather a Sunstar design based on various other machines. Arm, feed dog, and throat plates are compatible with Durkopp Adler 69 class. The feet are very common and cheap Singer 111W style.  

I've never sewn or repaired a horse blanket, so I can't say if the Sunstar KM-380 any good for that application. Realistically, you'll probably need a Juki TSC-441 class sewing machine (for example: Cowboy 4500, Cobra Class 4, Techsew 5100, etc.) for sewing horse related items.

If you're not good with a computer or figuring things out yourself, you may be better off with a sewing machine from a dealer you call for questions (check the banner ads.)

Also, don't be afraid of proper punctuation. It's your friend and lets people understand what you're asking or trying to say.

The Sunstar KM-380 uses "normal" bobbins, similar in size to Pfaff 335.

On the plus side, the Sunstar KM-380 does have a full motion feed dog, which is somewhat rare among small diameter cylinder arm machines . On most Pfaff 335 and Adler 69 class machines the feed dog only moves back and forth, but not up and down.

From what I've read repairing horse blankets can do nasty things to sewing machines as the blankets are generally filled with all sorts of grit and hair.

15 minutes ago, dikman said:

From what I've read repairing horse blankets can do nasty things to sewing machines as the blankets are generally filled with all sorts of grit and hair.

That was my thought too - I would guess a barrel hook machine (CB 2500, CB3200, Singer 45K, Adler 5, Adler 105 and the like) would be easier to clean / maintain around the hook and feed dog.

Edited by Constabulary

We have blankets washed first, in industrial type washing machine, I agree the dirt and stuff is hard on machine and the material also, thanks for those other model numbers Constabulary, ill check info out on those also

On 12/25/2017 at 5:19 PM, Uwe said:

The Sunstar KM-380 uses "normal" bobbins, similar in size to Pfaff 335.

On the plus side, the Sunstar KM-380 does have a full motion feed dog, which is somewhat rare among small diameter cylinder arm machines . On most Pfaff 335 and Adler 69 class machines the feed dog only moves back and forth, but not up and down.

Hi Uwe, what are your thoughts on this brand now that you’ve had it a while?

Would u describe any advantages/disadvantages of a full motion feed dog?

Many (most) narrow cylinder arm machines can be set up to be dedicated synchronized binder machines. The feed dogs operate horizontally only (back and forth) in unison with the inner presser foot and binder attachment.

Most larger cylinder machines operate the same way most flat bed machines do - with elliptical feed dogs. The feed is up/back/down/forward. This is a more aggressive and active feed, but is tricky to make work smoothly with synchronized binding. 

There are some exceptions,  one example is the Juki DSC-246, which can be converted from elliptical feed for general sewing, to horizontal for binding by swapping a few parts when installing the binder features.

2 hours ago, MG513 said:

Hi Uwe, what are your thoughts on this brand now that you’ve had it a while?

Would u describe any advantages/disadvantages of a full motion feed dog?

I don't actually do much sewing beyond testing that a machine works as it should. I generally don't make products with sewing machines, I make products for sewing machines. I'm trying to sell most of my machines once I fix them up, except for a select few "keepers".

The KM380 is actually a nice machine, but parts are getting nearly impossible to find. I eventually scored an OEM feed dog and an arm cover plate. Throat plates are positively impossible to get - I tried for over half a year. I ended up modifying a throat plate made for the Adler 69 to make it work on the KM380, just so I can make the machine functional. The modification was simple enough, grinding out the underside of the throat plate to make room for the swiveling feed arm to also move up and down. 

In my mind, the downsides of the slim arm full motion feed dog machines has nothing to do with the function. The full motion feed dog is definitely a plus in my mind, save for certain binding applications as mentioned in earlier posts. The main problem I see is that these slim arm full feed dog motion machines are so rare that nobody bothers to make parts for them (unless they're current OEM production models.)

On 10/25/2018 at 9:00 PM, Uwe said:

I don't actually do much sewing beyond testing that a machine works as it should. I generally don't make products with sewing machines, I make products for sewing machines. I'm trying to sell most of my machines once I fix them up, except for a select few "keepers".

The KM380 is actually a nice machine, but parts are getting nearly impossible to find. I eventually scored an OEM feed dog and an arm cover plate. Throat plates are positively impossible to get - I tried for over half a year. I ended up modifying a throat plate made for the Adler 69 to make it work on the KM380, just so I can make the machine functional. The modification was simple enough, grinding out the underside of the throat plate to make room for the swiveling feed arm to also move up and down. 

In my mind, the downsides of the slim arm full motion feed dog machines has nothing to do with the function. The full motion feed dog is definitely a plus in my mind, save for certain binding applications as mentioned in earlier posts. The main problem I see is that these slim arm full feed dog motion machines are so rare that nobody bothers to make parts for them (unless they're current OEM production models.)

Thx a bunch for that info, really appreciate it. I guess i like the fact that it uses more common feet, unlike the other 335 types

On 10/25/2018 at 6:17 PM, R8R said:

Many (most) narrow cylinder arm machines can be set up to be dedicated synchronized binder machines. The feed dogs operate horizontally only (back and forth) in unison with the inner presser foot and binder attachment.

Most larger cylinder machines operate the same way most flat bed machines do - with elliptical feed dogs. The feed is up/back/down/forward. This is a more aggressive and active feed, but is tricky to make work smoothly with synchronized binding. 

There are some exceptions,  one example is the Juki DSC-246, which can be converted from elliptical feed for general sewing, to horizontal for binding by swapping a few parts when installing the binder features.

Thx again for all the help. I think I remembered another post where u said the binders for the 246 were hard to come by though?? Ive been on so many posts though i really cant keep up. I like the idea of being able to change the feed rather than being stuck with one type of motion. I will look into this machine again and compare it against the 335

1 minute ago, MG513 said:

Thx again for all the help. I think I remembered another post where u said the binders for the 246 were hard to come by though?? 

Binder parts for the 246 are easy enough to get, especially generics What I am discovering now is parts for the 335 are a little less ubiquitous than I'd hoped, and genuine parts are ridiculous.

In the very brief time I had with the Techsew 2600 (246 clone) it sewed and binded ok. It fed a little bit thicker assemblies than the 335. The machine in general though ran like a bucket of rusty bolts. I re-packed it and returned it.

A genuine Juki 246 would be great if I could find a decently priced one, but new they are pretty much over-priced for what they are. I picked up this 335 locally for cheap so it will do for now. I just got done re-timing it for the correct needle (it was badly re-timed for 135x17 needles) and ran some tests on thin leather binding. A few tweaks and should be good. Looks like 92 will be max thread. 

Artisan sells a clone of the older model 335 that they tune to take heavier thread. Worth a look.

I have three KM-590BL Sunstar machines.  They have proven to be reliable, hard working machines.  The KM-590s are made for up to 1/2" thick and will sew it all day long. I think the KM-380 is rated for up to 3/8" thick materials.

@Uwe Mason Sewing in Vancouver imported and sold Sunstar for a bunch of years, they also tend to have a good parts inventory. The guy to talk to there is Marc if you are trying to find something.

https://www.masonsewingmachine.ca/

Edited by Sonydaze
edited typo

R8R, I have got my old model 335 to sew with #138 thread, but it's definitely happier with #69. I reckon #92 would be a pretty good compromise and should work ok.

Hi Dave

I have a Singer 132K6 that I use for horse blankets and have done so for years.  It is a heavy duty machine with ample room to the right of the needle to pass the heavy blanket material.  I use 92 thread to sew the patches and leg straps.  Unlike my Juki LU563 the Singer has plenty of tolerances in the sewing mechanism to sew blankets.  Even when washed which I insist on, there is always fine sand particles left behind that can play havoc with newer machines.  I clean out the race and shuttle regularly and add fresh oil at the same time. Some might say that the 132 is overkill for horse blankets which it is but having a jump foot and ample room to handle bulky material, I would certainly recommend same or equivalent machine for horse blanket repair.    

Good Luck. Layo