Misterbeesleather

I need Ideas. What can I make from a deer hide?

Merry christmas! For Christmas I got this deer hide that my great grandpa shot and killed while hunting years ago. He never made anything out of it but my grandma (his daughter) wants me to do something with it if i can. Any ideas of something really cool i can make from it? 

All Ideas welcome!

Deer skin gloves are very nice. If a lot of work. But very comfortable.

With enough skin, you could even make a lovely vest, or jacket. Fringes are a nice touch. ;-)

Chas

Personally, . . . I'd probably do a purse for her, . . . take a look at the ones she has now, . . . find one like it at the Salvation Army, . . . rip it apart for the pattern, . . . you will make her day, . . . and when she's gone, you'll get it back, . . . with lots of memories to hold you over.

One of my prized posessions is an 1885 silver dollar I bought for my grandmother and gave it to her one year for Christmas.  It was one of her treasures.  When she passed, it came back to me, . . . and is now one of my treasures.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

Personally, . . . I'd probably do a purse for her, . . . take a look at the ones she has now, . . . find one like it at the Salvation Army, . . . rip it apart for the pattern, . . . you will make her day, . . . and when she's gone, you'll get it back, . . . with lots of memories to hold you over.

One of my prized posessions is an 1885 silver dollar I bought for my grandmother and gave it to her one year for Christmas.  It was one of her treasures.  When she passed, it came back to me, . . . and is now one of my treasures.

May God bless,

Dwight

I agree with finding a nice purse or bag you like and ripping it apart for the pattern. It’s to hard to find the pattern you prefer online or from leather shops.

3 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

I agree with finding a nice purse or bag you like and ripping it apart for the pattern. It’s to hard to find the pattern you prefer online or from leather shops.

The link I provided above, includes four different purse patterns. Perhaps not to your liking.

One could certainly imbellish either of them, for personality and individual preferences. 

Or possibly get out a fresh sheet of graph paper, and begin to draw or draft a measured pattern, of your own delightful design.

Chas

33 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

The link I provided above, includes four different purse patterns. Perhaps not to your liking.

One could certainly imbellish either of them, for personality and individual preferences. 

Or possibly get out a fresh sheet of graph paper, and begin to draw or draft a measured pattern, of your own delightful design.

Chas

Why do I feel like I’m being chastised here?

I must buy a pattern from Tandy or other suppliers that I don’t like and alter it so I may like it? Or I must be a designer and design my own pattern?

I and others like to work with leather. Not everyone is blessed with the skills or desire to make their own patterns with graph paper.

I have no problem paying for a pattern that I do like and have done so before. But If I see a bag or purse that I do like the design, I also have no problem buying it and stripping it down to see how it was made and then altering it to my individual preference.

Chastised???

Every one is offering kindly advice.

KCL, When I said "not to 'your' liking", I only was referring to the OP.

But quoted you, mainly to keep continuity of the post.

I'm sorry if you felt like I was pointing a crooked finger at you. Not my intent, at all.

It's a shame Tandy takes such a trouncing here, they always and all ways, treat me right.

Forever have.

Thankfully we mostly all have free will, and can shop around the globe, with the www at our fingertips. So be it.

Hope you can and will understand my thoughts a little better now. Only trying to be helpful.

No good deed goes unpunished... 

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

16 hours ago, Misterbeesleather said:

Merry christmas! For Christmas I got this deer hide that my great grandpa shot and killed while hunting years ago. He never made anything out of it but my grandma (his daughter) wants me to do something with it if i can. Any ideas of something really cool i can make from it? 

All Ideas welcome!

Is this a hair on hide or suede or full grain and what is an average thickness you would have to deal with?  A pic or 2 might help.

8 hours ago, ChasCS said:

KCL, When I said "not to 'your' liking", I only was referring to the OP.

But quoted you, mainly to keep continuity of the post.

I'm sorry if you felt like I was pointing a crooked finger at you. Not my intent, at all.

It's a shame Tandy takes such a trouncing here, they always and all ways, treat me right.

Forever have.

Thankfully we mostly all have free will, and can shop around the globe, with the www at our fingertips. So be it.

Hope you can and will understand my thoughts a little better now. Only trying to be helpful.

No good deed goes unpunished... 

Chas

I’m sorry for jumping the gun and replying so fast at defending myself. When you quoted me and added “Or possibly get out a fresh sheet of graph paper, and begin to draw or draft a measured pattern, of your own delightful design” I thought you were having a go at me and others for stripping down other bag designs.

Again, I apologize for picking you up wrong.

Here's my thoughts.  Since it's a very old hide, make something old from it.  Go to the library, buy, borrow or photocopy "Wildwood Wisdom" by Ellsworth Jaeger.  (My favorite book from childhood)  In it are lots of old ways about making clothing and stuff from hides.  He wrote the book to sort of document the ways things were done back in the day.

There are some sample pages here.

With one deer hide, how far can you really go? Tough to be making much in the garment side. That's why I suggested gloves.

If it was an Alberta whitetail or muley, it would be a large hide. ;-)

Chas

6 hours ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

I’m sorry for jumping the gun and replying so fast at defending myself. When you quoted me and added “Or possibly get out a fresh sheet of graph paper, and begin to draw or draft a measured pattern, of your own delightful design” I thought you were having a go at me and others for stripping down other bag designs.

Again, I apologize for picking you up wrong.

No harm no foul. But I would never have gone to that extreme. Particularly at Christmas. Haha

Only recommending a thought.

Well anyway, wishing the OP good luck with their deer skin choices... Hope they post pics of the finished goods. ;-)

Chas

Or, if there is more than one Grandchild consider making them each some type of possibilities?? bag.

use the Deer for the front flap of each.

Sled

For delightful Grandchildren, Lovely Moccasins?

Slippers for the seniors and elderly... ;-)

Chas