JeffHami

Singer 153W 100 Presser Foot Position change

I have a Singer  153W 100 and I would like to change the presser foot orientation. The foot is currently mounted with the holding screw coming in from the back making the flat mounting area parallel with the machine.  Most of the presser feet I find are designed to mount with the mounting bracket front to back and not side to side like mine does. I was told I could loosen the presser foot mounting shaft and turn it 90 degrees but I can't see any screws that would allow me to do that. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. 

3155.jpg

There are two clamping blocks on the presser foot bar. The top one makes sure the shaft does not rotate. The bottom one just provides a ledge for the presser foot spring to press down on.

IMG_9571.jpg

The top block has the clamping screw in an obvious, acessibe spot:

IMG_9569.jpg 

The bottom block does have a clamping screw, but it's not readily accessible. My guess is that you have to first remove the presser spring, then loosen the top clamping screw, then rotate the presser bar so that you can access the bottom clamping screw from the open end of the head.

IMG_9567.jpg  

Whether or not the front-to-back blade mount feet you find will work is not entirely clear.

I do have various vintage Singer feet that fit the cross blade mount on Singer 153W100 and similar needle feed models, just in case you see something that will work for you. They're $10 each.

IMG_9526.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Thank you very much for the pictures and explanation. Going to take a look at rotating the shaft and if it does not come out as I hope I will be contacting you about some of the feet you have for sale. Still learning the machine and what to do and not to do. Sewed a guitar strap and that did not go well, I believe it may be because of the broken bobbin case lever tip and the bobbin thread messing up.  

On 12/26/2017 at 8:12 PM, Uwe said:

I do have various vintage Singer feet that fit the cross blade mount on Singer 153W100 and similar needle feed models, just in case you see something that will work for you. They're $10 each.

IMG_9526.jpg

Uwe, I know this is an old thread but wondering if any of these cross blade mount feet are still available?

HA!

This is an interesting thread, although old - We have a 153 that was re-built by Hoffman Brothers at one point. It has the presser bar oriented in the normal Singer walking foot manner, fore 'n aft, rather than sideways, and we just swap feet between it and our 111 and 211 machines - I never knew it was any other way.

So this obviously works - Was there a technical reason Singer originally set it up the other way?  Or maybe they did it just to sell special feet ;~)

On 5/29/2022 at 6:59 AM, trash treasure said:

HA!

This is an interesting thread, although old - We have a 153 that was re-built by Hoffman Brothers at one point. It has the presser bar oriented in the normal Singer walking foot manner, fore 'n aft, rather than sideways, and we just swap feet between it and our 111 and 211 machines - I never knew it was any other way.

So this obviously works - Was there a technical reason Singer originally set it up the other way?  Or maybe they did it just to sell special feet ;~)

Singer needle feed machines work best with the proper feet,the walking foot feet that mount the other way were designed for walking feet! They also require an inside foot(which you cannot mount on a needle feed machine),can this be done yes,BUT usually the feet won't work like they are supposed to & they do make feet for needlefeed machines that will feet the way Singer designed them.

singer 111wneedlefeed ft.pdf singer111wneedlefeedfet.pdf

OOPS ! My mistake - Wrong subclass!      I apologize for any confusion caused.

We have a 153 K 103, which is most definitely a walking foot machine, and shares feet with other Singer walking foot machines .

So the 100 subclass is the needle feed version, and as Bob said, needs the sideways feet.  Thanks, Bob.